forum for kitesurfers
- Medium Poster
- Posts: 66
- Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:22 am
- Kiting since: 1999
- Local Beach: Vargas, Pozo, Punta Maspalomas, Burras
- Style: Waveriding
- Gear: North Neo (4-5-7-9-10)
FireWire Vanguard 5'4", Thringy 5'8" CarbonKevlar, Clayton 5'6" custom
- Brand Affiliation: None
- Location: Gran Canaria, Spain
I try to avoid using a leash to avoid getting hit by the board or having the board leash tangled through my kite lines.
The exception is on big days where the risk of having to drag to shore and try to recover your board in the shore break and on a rocky landing is higher than the other risks above.
So yes: In big waves where the board will be washed all the way to shore in one wave I use a board leash.
- Frequent Poster
- Posts: 264
- Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:01 pm
- Kiting since: 2000
- Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
- Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
- Style: Big air, wave riding
- Gear: Peter Lynn Kites, Underwave, AXIS
I normally don't use a leash, (still have scars from boards recoiling in the old days)
I have thought about it for strapless sessions, but then again in strapless sessions you are more likely to get hit by the board.
The argument of using the board as flotation in big waves sounds odd. If you are going out in large gnarly wave, rather use a flotation vest and be able to ditch everything, board and kite if things go wrong.
- Frequent Poster
- Posts: 203
- Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:27 pm
- Kiting since: 99
- Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
- Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo, margarets area, west oz
curral jouel, cv, One Eye
- Style: surf & race
- Gear: JP surfboards,
North Neos, Rebels, Dynos
Sencillo by FastaFoil
- Brand Affiliation: sponsored by North Kiteboarding, O'Neill, FastaFoil
- Location: Hayle, UK. Sponsored by North, Oneill, FastaFoil, www.pastyadventures.co.uk
A leash is an essential part of waveriding. check out my technique blog which answers loads of questions on whether to leash or not to leash?
http://www.leepasty.co.uk/2/post/2013/0 ... leash.html
Return to “Kitesurfing”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: dylan*, Google [Bot], SonnyRider and 27 guests