Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: T5 replacement upgrade: Shinn Monk '13 vs NHP '13

Postby ktflyer381 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:36 am

letsgoflyakite wrote:
ktflyer381 wrote:I am your size and weight and I use the 134x42 Shinn Monk Forever. I like that size because the low end is great and yet I can handle it in high winds with my 6m kite. I think if you are getting one board, 134 is the size. If you could get two, then I would go with a smaller Monk and something like a Dundee.

K

KT, I would say get a small monk and speedball if you were going for 2 boards
I'm sure you're right, I haven't ridden either the Dundee or the Speedball so I can't really comment. If I get a chance I will definitely give them a try, although I can't say enough about the Monk Forever, best board I've ridden since I started 9 years ago.
Last edited by ktflyer381 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby nicor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:39 am

I have a 2011 monk and a 2013 XTR, but I've also test ridden the 2013 NPH. You got to try both boards because they are different for sure and you will prefer one over the other.

Personally I love my Monk, I have a bad knee and ride in chop every session, and it works really well for those conditions. There is something about the pad set up, rocker and flex that just works for me and my bad knee. Even after 3 hours of riding in chop, my knee feels ok. One hour on my XTR = some pain.

I would say the Monk is more nimble, carves better, more flex and less splash in your face. I was really concerned about the pads at first because of all the bad comments I read, but they are actually some of the best pads I've ever used.
My version has the Gorilla on the bottom, which I first though was ugly, but I kinda like it now.

The NHP seems like it is built like a tank and sort of plows through the water, tracks well, and likely goes upwind better, and pops better too. I really don't like the Nobile pads, I find them too heavy, the grip is not comfortable, and worse of all don't fit my feet well. NPH is a stunning board in the flesh.

My thought if you're into freestyle and want to pop a lot go NPH, if you want comfort and more of freeride go Monk.

As for the size, I'm 78 kg, I have the 135 x 42. I think this is the right size. I find a longer board goes through the chop better because your need to keep the front of the board from digging into the chop. A small board requires more back foot pressure to keep the front of the board high, and also slows the board down. Also a longer board you can apply a more even weight distribution on each foot, so its a more comfortable ride - but that could just be me.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn
Has thanked: 0

Postby letsgoflyakite » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:25 pm

nicor wrote:I have a 2011 monk and a 2013 XTR, but I've also test ridden the 2013 NPH. You got to try both boards because they are different for sure and you will prefer one over the other.

Personally I love my Monk, I have a bad knee and ride in chop every session, and it works really well for those conditions. There is something about the pad set up, rocker and flex that just works for me and my bad knee. Even after 3 hours of riding in chop, my knee feels ok. One hour on my XTR = some pain.

I would say the Monk is more nimble, carves better, more flex and less splash in your face. I was really concerned about the pads at first because of all the bad comments I read, but they are actually some of the best pads I've ever used.
My version has the Gorilla on the bottom, which I first though was ugly, but I kinda like it now.

The NHP seems like it is built like a tank and sort of plows through the water, tracks well, and likely goes upwind better, and pops better too. I really don't like the Nobile pads, I find them too heavy, the grip is not comfortable, and worse of all don't fit my feet well. NPH is a stunning board in the flesh.

My thought if you're into freestyle and want to pop a lot go NPH, if you want comfort and more of freeride go Monk.

As for the size, I'm 78 kg, I have the 135 x 42. I think this is the right size. I find a longer board goes through the chop better because your need to keep the front of the board from digging into the chop. A small board requires more back foot pressure to keep the front of the board high, and also slows the board down. Also a longer board you can apply a more even weight distribution on each foot, so its a more comfortable ride - but that could just be me.
+1 agree on all above, but my weight distribution differs to you. Width of 42 seems to suit most except really light winds. I find my Shinn Dundee rides better with more even foot pressure than my old nobile 666, and doesn't catch on chop. The 'suspension' a Shinn board gives is a massive bonus for me.I used to find a long thinner board was better in chop, but my views have changed with this board. Dundee has slightly wider and flexier tips than monk, maybe this makes a difference ? To be fair my choice would be which Shinn to have ! Thats coming from a dedicated Nobile fan.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Caesar wrote:
irwe wrote:Agree with previous poster

132 X 41 Monk :thumb:

I (72 kg) am at a similar level to you ride in chop and love the 130 X 40 Monk for high wind riding.
Yup...I'm 68Kg and on the 130x40 too and I wished I would be able to get hold of a 2011 Monk 128x39 which would fit me perfectly.

Here is the Shinn board's size charts. But of course more inexperienced kiters need a larger board in the beginning.
http://www.shinnworld.com/#!whatssizedoineed/cptk

Cheers
Caesar 8)
Seems like many riders continue to use boards that are too big even after they progress. I'm 77 kg, not advanced by any means, but prefer smaller boards and have no problem getting up to speed or getting upwind . Even when the wind is only 4 mph (joke).

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:10 am

Funny I am moving the other way. Even at 75kg Im now on a 135 by 41, smoother through the chop, the flex distributed over a longer axis.

Depends on what you are after.

przemj
Rare Poster

Postby przemj » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:49 pm

knotmyfault wrote: Can you tell us more about the factory location? I bet it’s a snowboard factory in Austria
I'm pretty sure it's located in Poland in Bielsko-Biala city, where Nobile HQ is.

Big thank you to you all for sharing your opinions.

Ok, after corresponding with local shops and asking about Shinn boards and NHP the best price/availability I can get is for Monk '13 and is exactly the same as for NHP '13.

I am tilting towards 132x41 Monk - this size is recommended for 75-85 kg by Shinn and I think that a more nimble board is what I would love to have for my modest freestyle attempts :)

But I'm a little bit worried because I got impression from you that Monk is way more freeride-oriented than I thought and too flexy and I'm worried that this will not help my freestyle "ambitions" :(

Because like I said I'm not able to test these boards, pretty please provide final feedback for these last questions and I will go far far away :)

1. Is it true that Monk has WAY BETTER POP and is significant better for freestyle than T5. True? False? The same?

2. (I know that I got single answer, but want more voices): how Monk is suitable for freestyle compared to NHP? NHP is way-way better? The same? Should I stop worrying about it because it is marginal and you guys are using Monk for FS without problems and are satisfied?

Thank you so much once again :)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Both are awesome boards. I have ridden both. NHP better for freestyle pop, aggressive feedback to the rider when edging. The monk needs to be ridden aggressively to get feedback in my mind, I have always preferred the SS and even the Dundee for the feedback it gives you.

But nothing will beat the monk for out and out speed through choppy conditions.

And Nicor is right, read his comments again. I have found exactly the same thing and he describes it so well. Heaps more back foot pressure needed on a smaller board.

On foot pressure, one thing you do get with the monk is even foot pressure which allows you to ride for much longer than most boards.

Honestly I like them both but if you have freestyle ambitions, personally I'd look at the SS and I would definelty wait and see what the ultrasonic is all about.

My two bobs worth.

For what its worth I ride a 135 by 41 laluz, give me that feedback and really good pop and yet some comfort through chop but not as good as the monk. But hey when the waves are on, I'm on my mako. Lol.

Return to “Kitesurfing”