Forum for kitesurfers
Babel
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2014 Nugget - anyone ride yet?

Postby Babel » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Well yeah, but I am talking about kiteboards not wakeboards or SUPs. 2012 nugget is the first kiteboard of its kind :P

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:46 am

Babel wrote:Well yeah, but I am talking about kiteboards not wakeboards or SUPs. 2012 Nugget is the first kiteboard of its kind :P
The Sweet Potato, Baked Potato, Space Pickle 5'0" and 5'4", and the Nugget are surfboards.
Firewire designed the Sweet Potato, it would appear to be the first popular surfboard of this exact shape and size.
Firewire is very aware of the kitesurfing market.
It seems Slingshot and North looked closely at the Firewire design (don't know what they claim).
Slingshot aimed their version toward the Wakesurfing market first (probably because their 2011 & 2012 surfboard lineup was already huge with 7 models) and North obviously aimed their version toward Kitesurfing in 2012 because they are not in the surfboard business or the wakeboarding business.
So I guess I agree North was the first company to market that exact shape and size design exclusively to the kitesurfing market.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am

Need more hours on the board for a full review on my Firewire. I have one with the new strapless construction without inserts.

The board is much heavier than their surf construction. It definately has more glass on the outside. Probably denser foam inside. I have a 5'6" Airush compact in my garage that I compared it too. My Firewire is a little heavier.

On the water I haven't noticed the weight. Does seem to stick well to my feet doing small strapless airs.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:51 pm

I was looking forward to see some used Nuggets 2013 for sale
My wife rode mine and wants her own
Problem is i think people are not so sure about the 2014 and will hold on to their boards

Too bad

North had a winning design that sold out in record time with the 2013

Reminds me of Coca-Cola when they changed the winning formula for Coke

Good thing they went back to original recipe....
.....the bottles and cans were not flying off the shelves anymore

Left a bad taste in people's mouth

windfreak
Medium Poster

Postby windfreak » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Thinking the same as you Supa ,i just love my 2013 nugget ,and more i use it more i like it ,it s just became my go to board ,for one very important thing :fun :D ! And at 5 feet it just fit in my board bag so i can bring my baby everywhere i want :thumb: That said ,not sure about the new ones :2014,the size,shape,colors... Time will tell,demo will confirm ! Chow! the Freak.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:35 pm

windfreak wrote:Thinking the same as you Supa ,i just love my 2013 nugget ,and more i use it more i like it ,it s just became my go to board ,for one very important thing :fun :D ! And at 5 feet it just fit in my board bag so i can bring my baby everywhere i want :thumb: That said ,not sure about the new ones :2014,the size,shape,colors... Time will tell,demo will confirm ! Chow! the Freak.
Check this out...word for word from the North handbook 2013

Light wind machine
Small wave ripper
Maximum stoke in average conditions

The Nugget is all about having fun and maximizing your time and stoke on the water!
This radically different approach to a conventional surfboard allows you to get out there and rip apart small waves in light wind.
The Nugget's ultra wide round-tail,super low rocker and a unique bottom shape are all aimed at maximum glide,tight turns and upwind performance in light wind and small surf.
Full boxy rails and an ultra flat deck maximize the Nugget's volume to keep it short and compact.
Don't let the looks deceive you...This fat little board absolutely rips strapped or strapless!
If you are serious about maximizing your time on the water and want a board that truly performs when others will not,you need a Nugget.
At 5'0" the Nugget is also a great option for minimizing excess baggage costs.

:winner2: :winner2: :winner2: :winner2: :winner2: :winner2: :winner2: :winner2: :winner2:

Message to Ken.............that board was a Winner

To change it is like having the bright idea to change the best selling kite in the world...the Rebel

XMM
Rare Poster

Postby XMM » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:19 pm

What do you think about comparing nugget 2013 or 2014 to airush slayer? (low wind, fun, size, shape...?)
Whitch is better and why do you think so?
http://www.airush.com/2013/boards/slayer/

g00mbs
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Alameda
Gear: North Evo 9m, 12m, 14m
Nobile T5 137
Airush Switch 130

Postby g00mbs » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Hey Everyone,

I'm a new kiter (1st season) and I have been reading up a lot on the North Nugget as my first directional. The goal being to have a light wind board that is fun in chop and small waves.

My first ride on a directional was this past weekend on a 2012 North Whip 5'6". It was a lot of fun. Being a 220lbs guy I believe I need a bigger board.

My local shop has a 2013 Nugget that has been demo'd about 4 times and they are looking to get $800 for it. I have course have read the entire 17 page thread here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2377339

The other boards to consider of course are:

Firewire Sweet Potato
Is the FST able to stand up to kiting? I'm not really jumping yet, but based on everything people are saying about the Nugget shaped boards is that they are truly something special. To me, that means I'll have this board for a while. I found a place online selling the SP FST for $725.

Slingshot Space Pickle
Their website says the volume is 34 L which is the same as a 5'2" or 5'4" Sweet Potato. There is a shop across the country that is selling the 2014 new for $700 plus $70 shipping.

Axon WTF - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2376119&p=808642&hi ... et#p808642
This is a 5'6" board as I'm sure you all know.

I also found a demo 2012 North X-Surf (5'11") that has about 29L for volume.

Any help in steering me in the right direction would be great. The wind is beginning to die down now and a board like this would really help extend my sessions. Has anyone ridden all three boards?

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:14 pm

SupaEZ wrote:I was looking forward to see some used Nuggets 2013 for sale
My wife rode mine and wants her own
Problem is i think people are not so sure about the 2014 and will hold on to their boards

Too bad

North had a winning design that sold out in record time with the 2013

Reminds me of Coca-Cola when they changed the winning formula for Coke

Good thing they went back to original recipe....
.....the bottles and cans were not flying off the shelves anymore

Left a bad taste in people's mouth
+1

Like North did with 2012 to 2013 :( graphics

I had a really hard time finding a s/h 12 or 13 nugget in uk. North sold all their 2013 and no one I could find had stock left months ago. They advertise them, but don't have them! Not a big selling board so initial stock was low. I saw one on Ebay, just up the road from me and bought immediately. He had listed half hour ago. Never seen another one for sale on Ebay since. As someone pointed out above, firewire do the original design that the nugget seemed to copy, but in tougher kite specific version. I wonder if in time the new board will prove itself, be interesting to see what the 5'6 is like.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:17 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:Slingshot Space Pickle 2012 & 2013 model years sold on wakeboarding side of Slingshot site.
Available in 5' 0" and 5' 4" sizes, with deckpad and no inserts.
Slingshot "borrowed" the idea from Firewire in 2011.
The 2014 Space Pickle 5' 0" kite specific (WVS construction and inserts) is priced lower than Firewire and $260 less than the 2013 Nugget.
Not in uk. £600.00 for 2014 pickle or nugget

Return to “Kitesurfing”