Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RRD Obsession 2014

Forum for kitesurfers
BlackAngels
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sunny Beach, Pomorie, Sarafovo....Bulgaria
Favorite Beaches: Viganj Croatia
Style: freestyle
Gear: RRD Obsession 13.5sm 2014 and Obsession 9sm 2012....Vision 13.5 2012 ex :-)))
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RRD Obsession 2014

Postby BlackAngels » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi everybody,

Excellent forum BTW :wink:

I just ordered my Obsession 13.5m 2014 and can't wait to try it out. It should arrive some time in October.

I previously had a Vision 13.5m 2012 and was quite happy with that kite as it was my first kite and I still consider myself a beginner :cool2:

In the beginning of the year I bought a second hand Obsession 9m MkIII and I really like its pull and the way the kite behaves (planing to use it for snow kiting as well)

As I am a bit "heavy" 90kgs 190cm high...I need a kite with a but more pull and with good low end as where I ride in Bulgaria the winds are around 5 to 10m/s most of the time...with average of around 7m/s. Hoping the Obsession will give me that little bit more power and better upwind compared to the Vision

Other kites I was looking at were RPM 14m 2013 but after seeing a few RPMs 2012 and they way they looked like 5year old kites...decided not to go with them. Was looking at the F-one bandits but didn't like their QR system...well they have changed for the 2014...anyways.

I hope a made a good choice and I will really appreciate if someone who has tried out the new Obsession 2014 write their opinion of the kite or share any info they have.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Re: RRD Obsession 2014

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Congrats on getting a yourself a new 2014 Obsession 13.5. My 2012 13.5 is my favorite kite. I've only had a chance to take 2013 models out a few times and noticed a bit more bar pressure than the 2012. My guess is the bar pressure would remain the same or perhaps a bit more. Looking at the website, it sounds like RRD broke down the kite and totally revamped it.

If you watch the surf expo videos you can see they have changed their inflation valve. It looks like a single point inflation and dump valve but I haven't seen it up close. The bar changed a bit in 2013, no more O-S handles. If you liked the 9 meter you got second hand, you'll really enjoy the new kites. I haven't taken my 13.5 on snow but that kite has impressed me in light winds on the water many times. Taking the 13.5 out in such light winds I have often dealt with the kite falling out of the sky, mostly due to not landing a trick and end up over tensioning the front lines basically closing off the canopy to wind. Wherever I've snowkited, there have been severe lulls which I would assume cause this a bit on my big kite, so something to perhaps be on the lookout for.

It's not a big deal, you'll see the kite drop and see which side of the zenith it veers toward. An aggressive input on the proper steering line will recover the kite before it hits the ground. What color pattern did you choose?

BlackAngels
Rare Poster
Gear: RRD Obsession 13.5sm 2014 and Obsession 9sm 2012....Vision 13.5 2012 ex :-)))

Postby BlackAngels » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I have ordered the orange version, kind of like the colour combination and also my 9m Obsession is Orange/white.

I have seen the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQV-iFsK2DA

And If does what they say, boosts more, has more direct power and huge hangtime...that would be my perfect kite to go into freestyle.

For the snow I would start only with the 9m one as it would be my first season snow kiting, so I would like to first see how it goes.

Next year I am also looking to buy a new board, as right now I only have a RRD Placebo 2009 which is good for light winds. So in addition to that I would like to get some freestyle oriented board...any ideas of what I should like at would be more then welcome.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Yeah the hangtime can be really nice. FYI if you are using a V4 globar bar, the front lines creep after about 10 hours of use so tune those bad boys up and have fun. If you aren't at elevation, the 9 should get you going on the snow ok.

If you are looking at RRD board specifically, getting your hands on a poison or style biax, maybe even a bliss. The bliss is really nice cruising in the chop. I have a Style V2 but carbon fiber eventually breaks when you start throwing down. It has insane pop though and mine still does even though its broken to a degree. The Style biax is less stiff and probably more durable over time. Something else to consider is maybe the Axis Vanguard, or if you want the carbon, the Limited. Lots of channels for a comfortable and aggressive ride.

BlackAngels
Rare Poster

Postby BlackAngels » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:32 am

I sold my V4 bar with the Vision...so with the Obsession I am getting the V5 or V6 if there is such thing. I did check the lines twice but they were Ok, no adjustment needed.

Elevation for the snow is about 1 800m :jump:
a small video of the spot in the Vitosha mountain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh0PvW8EMnY

I had a look at the boards and I really liked the posion 2013...Also the shop recomended me the North Team....but I am thinking of getting the new board some time in April...so will see what will get in the end...but for now the favorite is the poison.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:06 pm

I ride 2012 RRD obsessions with a 134cm shinn monk forever (82kg) and its a great combo. The obsesison is a fast kite and the shinn monk forever is a fast twin tip, together they complement each other perfectly.

rogerkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South Brittany
Favorite Beaches: Near Quiberon'beaches
Style: Just between Peak & Rocks !

Postby rogerkite » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Hello,
Some pictures of the new Obsession 2014, and the inflation/deflation valve (pictures from new religion but it is exactly the same).

Not tested yet :(
Attachments
DSC05929.JPG
9499134937_cf31a433c8_h (Custom) (Small).jpg
9499119757_2fcfdeac31_h (Custom) (Small).jpg
9501941448_fe9d7e87cf_h (Custom) (Small).jpg
8741774432_191dbb3372_b (Custom) (Small).jpg

BlackAngels
Rare Poster

Postby BlackAngels » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:57 am

Who is going to be the first one to test it :D

p.s: mine should come in about two weeks time

rogerkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South Brittany
Favorite Beaches: Near Quiberon'beaches
Style: Just between Peak & Rocks !