Style: freestyle
Gear: kaiman
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Union Island Kitesurf

Postby simonebuffa » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi,

I had booked my vacation in Union Island (Granadine) to JT pro center (www.kitesurfgrenadines.com) from Dec. 30 to Jan 13.
Someone is already been here? Any comments or suggestion?

thanks
Simo

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Re: UNION ISLAND KITESURF

Postby shawn13 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:59 pm

You seem to be going when the best wind conditions are which is a smart move. Also try to deal with Linn as much as possible she is the most helpful.
Last edited by shawn13 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simonebuffa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: garda lake
Favorite Beaches: brasil

Re: UNION ISLAND KITESURF

Postby simonebuffa » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 pm

shawn13 wrote:I have posted a thorough review

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2379616

You seem to be going when the best wind conditions are which is a smart move. Also try to deal with Linn as much as possible she is the most helpful.

I read your review and I am a little surprise about JT, his website seems that everythings are oriented on kite's service!?! I hope that something is changed from your trip!
Thanks for your suggestion about Linn.
If you have any other suggestion please contact me.

see you
Simo

JeremieT
Rare Poster

Re: Union Island Kitesurf

Postby JeremieT » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Dear Shawn,

Sorry for having not answered earlier regarding your bad experience at our kite spot.
It has come to my attention that you seem very eager to let people know about it, so I have decided to step in and let you know our side of the story.

Firstly, I was never made aware, at the time of your stay here with us on Union Island, that you were unhappy.
When we met, you seemed friendly towards me and happy that we brought you with our boat for a fun evening on Happy Island, free of charge.

This review, I have to admit, was very surprising to myself and the other staff members at JT Pro Center.

We have one of the windiest spots in the Caribbean but like anywhere in the world there can be unlucky days. If only we could control the wind ...

Unfortunately, you came at a wind-less time and I realize how frustrating that is for kitesurfers. Short time vacations are subject to more unreliable conditions and we can not predict the wind forecast.

We had just opened the kite school and you unluckily came on one of the only low wind periods of our past season. We were not prepared for no wind activities then, which should be a good sign, however, we have updated our website with all the new activities available now so that your experience will never be repeated again.
Please see our updated website: http://www.kitesurfgrenadines.com

You mentioned that you were not happy with the organization of the center but you never had to pay anything for it. You paid for your stay in the hotel only.
The kiteschool is separated from the hotel and the website is just here to facilitate the communication between kiters and the accommodation.

Linn was part owner of the Kite Center as well, at the time. We always tried to have one of us available to help the customers. If she was a great help to you that means the kite center was also a great help to you...

I know I wasn't very present during your stay and I am sorry about that, but I was extremely busy.

Kite tours were put on hold during that time because there was no wind. All guests staying at the hotel are made aware of day trips available everyday by sail boat or speed boat, only a few meters from the hotel.

We do not offer an all inclusive service as the kiteschool and hotel are separated, but we are always willing to help make our clients experience the best we can.

Most people were very happy with their experience with us on Union Island and many of them have rebooked to come back in the near future.

I am disappointed to know that you didn't experience the spot the way I see it and live it every day, the perfect kite paradise.

Any one else wondering about the spot, there are several great reviews online on trip advisor and other forums.

It is you, our customers, who we want to make happy. Your feedback is highly appreciated so I would like to thank you, we have taken your remarks into consideration.
There are always things we can do better, but we can not please 100% of our customers at all times but we do try our best.

We are working extremely hard during this off season to ensure that the service is at it's very best for this new coming season. The kiteschool is seeing a massive overhaul with a new beach bar, new gear, new boats and a better organization.

Several pro kiteboarder will be flying to the island as well.

This coming season we promise to offer a great service and the best Full Moon parties.

We look forward to welcoming you and future customers to Union Island.
We will make sure to meet your expectations and make your experience an unforgettable one.

Kind Regards,

Jeremie Tronet

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:03 pm

I don't know what's going on, but all I know is that my wife Helen and I are going back to the Grenadines and our base will be "Union Island". My wife wants to stay a month, but since I have to work, I can stay only 2 weeks max because I need to visit other beautiful places and promote my company. All the guys at JT Pro Center were very helpful but again we were kiting all over the place using every resources to get there and these guys were a big help. My wife actually wrote the article on the KITEBOARDER mag about the Grenadines on the last issue.
Bellow are some pictures from our trip this past winter.
Attachments
_MG_9536 16.jpg
Dimitri handle passing.jpg
GOPR0106 5.jpg
_MG_8213 12.jpg
GPV_0565 23.jpg
GPV_0035-5 - Version 2 25.jpg
GPV_0334 21.jpg
_MG_3638 18.jpg
GPV_0045-5 - Version 2 24.jpg
DSC_0061 44.jpg
_MG_9731 15.jpg
DSC_0209 46.jpg
GOPR0155 6.jpg
DSC_0091 37.jpg
_MG_7975.jpg
_I9T7132 1 10.jpg
DSC_0284 42.jpg
_MG_7845 9.jpg
GPV_0024-6 26.jpg
DSC_0021 4.jpg
DSC_0193 36.jpg
DSC_0320 41.jpg
DSC_0159 31.jpg
DSC_0005 33.jpg
DSC_0012 7.jpg
_MG_9570 17.jpg
DSC_0008 29.jpg
DSC_0035 43.jpg
_MG_3581 27.jpg
_MG_8029 1 11.jpg
Last edited by Dimitri M on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CNDKiter
Rare Poster

Postby CNDKiter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:49 am

I was there last Feb right after Dimitiri was there. Had a great time. The SVG and Union are not like Aruba or the Cayman's. Expect a very rustic island, very quite and calm. Ask lots of questions to the locals and employee's at the hotel. Wind was epic every day for the 2 weeks I was there. I also had 4 great lessons with Jeremie that had me progress to unhooked very quickly. Go into town for lunch and dinner as there are some great local places. Do not expect a Sandal's type experience. Bring everything you need as there are not many stores. You will have a great time. Take a boat tour out to the local islands, very worth while.

simonebuffa
Rare Poster

Postby simonebuffa » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:19 am

@Dimitri @CNDkiter Thanks for your experence review!

If somebody will come back in Union from 30 dec to 13 jan...see you there!!!

Simo

captainrik
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mauritius, reunion, caribbean
Favorite Beaches: one eye mauritius
manawa mauritius
los roques venezuela
Style: all round
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north

Postby captainrik » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:03 am

Hi there. My name is Rik and i'm the captain of the North Kite Catamaran that was mentioned in the initial post here. We run kite cruises all through the Caribbean island chain and I remember specifically the period mentioned by the unhappy visitor. The date was between 3rd and 13th March and I remember it well as it was one of the only trips we did all season without wind. The Grenadines in my opinion are the windiest islands out of the whole chain and the season is longer than in the northern islands such as antigua or BVI. To be fair there is definitely a dip in the season around mid March to mid May. During this period the wind can fall below 12 kts. Saying this a week NEVER goes by without kiting. Even during the week in question we were out on the water most days albeit with a 14 and larger board.
Union island is possibly my personal favorite spot as it offers turquoise, super flat water with constant stable wind.... However, we have guests of all levels and it must be said that this spot is not for beginners due to the leeward anchorage which makes it dangerous to loose upwind ground.
The Grenadines is about adventure and exploring, thats why for us its our top destination. One day we kite in union lagoon and the next we sail to the Cays and kite with the turtles. The day after waveriding in Mayreau or Canouan..... There is heaps of variety and Union is just one out of 8 places we visit on our Grenadines cruises.
In conclusion I feel it is unfair to judge a destination from one trip without wind. For further info you can have a look at

www.caribbeankitecruise.com

Thanks

simonebuffa
Rare Poster

Postby simonebuffa » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I have been in Union Island (Ancorage Hotel) from dec. 30 till Jan 9, 2014 and I can tell to everybody that is the Kite's paradise!!!
Main spot where is located JT pro center is wonderfull, flat water and consistant wind... I found 18-25 knots everyday for all day...yes also during the night!!! Similar condition I found only in Brasil...but the difference is that you are in Caribbean with their great place and their turquese see water!!!
There are other spots on Union and in the close islands...check on http://www.kitesurfgrenadines.com/grena ... ing-spots/
I have been in Big sand (waves), Frigate (super flat) and Mayroo (waves spot instead flat spot in high-high season is full of boat)...all spots are very beautiful!
The incredible thing is that When I come back to Barbados for last 4 days I thought Barbados is a not nice place...just because I saw the paradise...ahahaha! Then I make ashamed for that I thought...Barbados is very nice too!!!
In JT pro center, Jeremie, Zoe and all staff are very friendly and ready to give you any kind of suggestion that you need.
I will come back for sure!!!

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:25 pm

captainrik wrote:To be fair there is definitely a dip in the season around mid March to mid May. During this period the wind can fall below 12 kts.
Hi, is this the norm?

I'm thinking of coming to the caribbean for the first two weeks of March. I weigh 100kg so not looking forward watching my GF kite most of the time on my kit

Return to “Kitesurfing”