Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Rebel 5th line - any issues?

forum for kitesurfers


gvironda
Medium Poster
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:25 pm
Kiting since: 3
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Milan

North Rebel 5th line - any issues?

Postby gvironda » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:32 am

Hi guys
I currently fly EVOs and NEOs, and have flown Rally, Bandit, Obsession.
I tried the Rebel of a friend and was amazed by the hangtime and solidity in the gusts
I am thinking of buying one, but I'm a bit skeptical about the 5th line
Does it create any problem, like wrapping around the kite, or it happens only once in a lifetime, and the rest is only added security?
thanks a lot!
beppe

piccio
Frequent Poster
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:11 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: neo 4 5 religion 9 religion 6
north proseries 2014 5.8 5.11
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Rebel 5th line - any issues?

Postby piccio » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 pm

exactly what you said ,5th line makes kite steady and solid with gust and makes problem when kite falls in surf ,there is no way!
I release everything when I fall in surf and kite wraps .go to beach and start again.
broke a 10 in half years ago.
la rebel quello che ti da nelle prestazioni se lo riprende come rishio di rompere con il 5 cavo,se esci nel piatto o poca onda vai tranquillo ,onde grosse è un problema, ma non tanto nella rottura quanto nella ripartenza in posti pericolosi tipo capo mannu o s .
belle sono la 6 e la7 ,le altre sono troppo lente per surfare
ciao

sarc
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 957
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:01 am

Re: North Rebel 5th line - any issues?

Postby sarc » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:09 pm

What Piccio said. I've never relaunched Rebel successfully after releasing Chicken Loop safety. I's always drift back to beach and sort it out there.

My 5th split my kite in half twice and ripped the leading edge out once (caught by wave, all pressure on the 5th)...

And I still prefer it because of absolute safety, great performance, and excellent self-landing. Personally I'll trade safety over anything else. Typical release on 4 line kite does not depower enough for my taste. That's just my opinion. Every time I destroyed the kite I got it fixed for reasonable cost - definitely an 'insurance policy' I'm willing to pay.

BUT

I modded all my 5th line bars so that when release safety the kite will fly upside down everytime unless wind is super light. This way it just hovers over waves (and pebbles/garbage on beach) without damage. That's pretty cool ad saved my kite a few times.

The mod is to move the red stopper ball further away from the bar by ~2m. This allows the back lines to be fully slack on release even on large kites, so kite flies inverted.

Replace the original red leash line with similar but 2m longer... make the rest of leash that goes up to the Y junction 2 m shorter.... done.

vannibombonato
Medium Poster
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:46 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Rebel 5th line - any issues?

Postby vannibombonato » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:55 pm

Changing my quiver exactly because of the fifth.

In 4 years of kiting i had CL released probably twice, with one ending in a full leash release.
One year with the Rebels i had to CL because of fifth risking to cut my kite at least 10 times, with two times having to full release.

Love how they jump, but i simply can't stand anymore the 5th, and i don't buy at all into it giving yourself "ultimate" safety. To me is one more line to mess with, let alone having fun with a 5 lines spaghetti mess should things go wrong: spent 3 hours on the beach with 2 local kids who do this for a living helping me...

I think there is a reason why almost no one do 5 lines anymore.

User avatar
Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 3:44 pm
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...
Location: DownUnder/Brazil cumbuco-oceanview.com
Contact:

Re: North Rebel 5th line - any issues?

Postby Caesar » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:52 pm

vannibombonato wrote:Changing my quiver exactly because of the fifth.

In 4 years of kiting i had CL released probably twice, with one ending in a full leash release.
One year with the Rebels i had to CL because of fifth risking to cut my kite at least 10 times, with two times having to full release.

Love how they jump, but i simply can't stand anymore the 5th, and i don't buy at all into it giving yourself "ultimate" safety. To me is one more line to mess with, let alone having fun with a 5 lines spaghetti mess should things go wrong: spent 3 hours on the beach with 2 local kids who do this for a living helping me...

I think there is a reason why almost no one do 5 lines anymore.


You are spot on!
You asked why all this 5th line BS- there is some whisper North holds a patent on that design and *maybe* they want to make a few more bucks out of it bevore 5 liners are obsolete completely.

North (with the 2013 Fuse) had proven that they can design brilliant and absolute remarkable kites without that 5 line crap.

And now the discussion 4 line kites or 5 line kites will start again... :lol:

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2918
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:25 am
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Rebel 5th line - any issues?

Postby Westozzy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:16 am

I have to agree. I rode the fifth line rebels and would be considered more experienced than most and I had my fair shair of tangles, unless of course you don't want to push the envelope and ride around like a nancy.

But there are those that keep plugging their are no probs with five line kites, I'm not one of them.

Give me four lines anyday.

User avatar
balugh
Frequent Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:52 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com
Location: Norfolk, UK
Contact:

Re: North Rebel 5th line - any issues?

Postby balugh » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:15 am

Must say that I like my Rebels and the ability to walk up the 5th to the kite when self landing. Maybe I haven't pushed the envelope as much as others but I just enjoy the kite full stop. That said...I did have a few 5th line issues on my old Vegases. And ther's no such thing as ultimate safety though I've met more rubbish 4 line systems than I have 5 line ones in terms of the amount of margin they give you. It's really a case of personal preference IMHO... My only recommendation is to personally test a new kite's system in benign conditions as I have had some interesting (almost scary) results with some in 10mph winds and knee deep water.

User avatar
Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 3:44 pm
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...
Location: DownUnder/Brazil cumbuco-oceanview.com
Contact:

Re: North Rebel 5th line - any issues?

Postby Caesar » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:43 am

balugh wrote:Must say that I like my Rebels and the ability to walk up the 5th to the kite when self landing. Maybe I haven't pushed the envelope as much as others but I just enjoy the kite full stop. That said...I did have a few 5th line issues on my old Vegases. And ther's no such thing as ultimate safety though I've met more rubbish 4 line systems than I have 5 line ones in terms of the amount of margin they give you. It's really a case of personal preference IMHO... My only recommendation is to personally test a new kite's system in benign conditions as I have had some interesting (almost scary) results with some in 10mph winds and knee deep water.


Hi,

You can walk up 4 liners on their 2 center lines the same way you do with a 5 liner on the 5th line.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

User avatar
balugh
Frequent Poster
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:52 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com
Location: Norfolk, UK
Contact:

Re: North Rebel 5th line - any issues?

Postby balugh » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:24 am

Caesar wrote:
balugh wrote:Must say that I like my Rebels and the ability to walk up the 5th to the kite when self landing. Maybe I haven't pushed the envelope as much as others but I just enjoy the kite full stop. That said...I did have a few 5th line issues on my old Vegases. And ther's no such thing as ultimate safety though I've met more rubbish 4 line systems than I have 5 line ones in terms of the amount of margin they give you. It's really a case of personal preference IMHO... My only recommendation is to personally test a new kite's system in benign conditions as I have had some interesting (almost scary) results with some in 10mph winds and knee deep water.


Hi,

You can walk up 4 liners on their 2 center lines the same way you do with a 5 liner on the 5th line.

Cheers
Caesar 8)


Agreed but you're handling 2 lines instead of 1. I'm not saying I never use 4 line kites because I do. I just don't have any more 'issues' with my 5 line Rebel than I've had with 4 line kites. I also accept that every bit of complexity adds to the things that can go wrong. However, the majority of 4 line kites have a bridle....that is, I think, at least or more complex than thy 5th line used on the Rebel. What you get with the Rebel is a direct feeling solid flying kite. Maybe one day I'll have an epiphany with another kite but I haven't yet for my basic free ride and jumping 'style'.... I certainly would not discount a kite because it has a 5th line. As far as I can tell there are always compromises in kite designs. I also appreciate (from posts here and elsewhere) that people have cut their kites in half round a 5th line but I regularly see kites split in half simply from impacting the water or getting bow tied in waves and those have had nothing to do with 4 or 5 lines.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2918
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:25 am
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Rebel 5th line - any issues?

Postby Westozzy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:58 am

Ridden plenty of kites that are far more direct in feel than the fifth line rebel. Got on one again for old times sake the other day and found it really spongy in feel. Each to their own. I don't ride a kite because of its safety then again I rode back in the days when safety was an arguable quantity.

I have had many a time when a kite invert etc may not have caused a kite tear but another bloody swim in.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: knotwindy, marlboroughman, Pierrot and 25 guests