Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

So... whose watching the america's cup races?

Forum for kitesurfers
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: So... whose watching the america's cup races?

Postby plummet » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:23 pm

ahhhhh....

Nz had the first race in the bag. But it reached the time limit and was cancelled.

US won the second race.

More racing tomorrow!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:29 am

No smiles, no LOL's, no EGO here ...
We just got Lucky, really Fricken Lucky !!!

The Good part is that we all get to watch More of the Best sailors in the world,
do there stuff !!!

Bille

kiteiwi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Leighton Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Augusta WA
Safety Bay WA
Wedge WA
Leighton WA
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2009 12m Naish Cult
2010 9m Naish Helix
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiteiwi » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:00 pm

It has shaped up to be a great regatta with a new style of close format high speed racing that i'm enjoying watching and want it to continue a little longer but it's time for Team NZ to wrap this baby up.

Hats off to team oracle for not throwing in the towel, it shows guts, determination & good sailing.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Go kiwis

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Watched a few races, the boats are super cool, but admittedly I miss the tactics and crew work that comes with the mono hulls. I don't like the location too, It's a drag race to one side of the course. Bring back the 12s I say..

good job NZ

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:16 pm

nicor wrote:Watched a few races, the boats are super cool, but admittedly I miss the tactics and crew work that comes with the mono hulls. I don't like the location too, It's a drag race to one side of the course. Bring back the 12s I say..

good job NZ
Most sailboat owners hate the catamarans, they think there is no grace, no tactics

Everyone else in the world looks at these ac72's and thinks "Wow! Sailboats are fun. I didn't think I would ever watch a sailboat race, but I'll watch these, what are they called, ac somethings?"

Which is why the sailboat owners are gonna lose. This is the best america's cup of all time, there is no question, most popular most watched, best for the sponsors best for the non-sailing audience, best for people on shore to watch -- being able to watch from shore not a priority in the sailing community.

Traditional sailboat owners still have the Olympics to watch with the finn and the 49er laser, 470 and the rs:x windsurfer.

I do not understand ordinary sailors, that's for sure. I love these new boats, sure I love the 49ers those are beautiful too and the 12 meter boats are wonderful to watch, but I just don't understand why they are all about watching the horse and carriage when the race car just got invented.

I understand the kiwis will eventually win, oracle is in too deep a hole to climb out. But I just want to watch one more day of racing, go oracle you can do it!

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Great to watch.
Next race 13 and 14 (if needed) will be today, Saturday, 1 PM PST.
Some people get TV coverage but here I watch the live HD feed on You Tube.

:wink: CG

Wiski23
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt. Shred
Style: Wake
Gear: Mutiny c kites & slingshot board

Postby Wiski23 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:27 am

edt wrote:
nicor wrote:Watched a few races, the boats are super cool, but admittedly I miss the tactics and crew work that comes with the mono hulls. I don't like the location too, It's a drag race to one side of the course. Bring back the 12s I say..

good job NZ
This is the best america's cup of all time, there is no question, most popular most watched, best for the sponsors best for the non-sailing audience, best for people on shore to watch -- being able to watch from shore not a priority in the sailing community.
Best ever? Not even close. Television ratings for the event have been abysmal, how many challengers? Not many. Most watched? Yeah maybe from the shore but far from television viewings. Not even close to being the best.
Once NZ win the cup back, bring back all the challengers & lower the budgets then people will start taking notice again.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:03 am

Wiski23 wrote:Best ever? Not even close. Television ratings for the event have been abysmal, how many
i think the best america's cup in the usa was 3 million viewers in the 1987 stars and stripes win on ESPN. This america's cup is scoring 1 million viewers which is incredible in the day of media diversity, and another 1 million ---> 1 out of every 4 kiwis is watching this on tv.

This doesn't count youtube replay views which are scoring about 1/4 million for youtube. I'm not sure what the NBC online viewership is but I suspect it is higher than the television number because everyone is at work when the races are being held, so give it another 1 million.

Add everything up, it is definitely close and I think if we could add every viewer, including those who watch it on a pirated feed it will be more than 4 million.

Ratings are lower than expected for the NBC neilsen ratings because americans hate losers and it looks like they are gonna lose. But the kiwi numbers are ridiculous.

ps if oracle wins the next two races you should see the usa ratings double. Not that america loves yatching they dont care they just like to watch winners. I know we're stupid that way. Not me tho, for some reason I associate sports with suffering.

Also I read an interview from grant dalton from last week and he made it clear that when he wins, this is the end of the ac72's he wants two things, a nationality rule and cheaper boats and he did mention monohulls, which I presume means a return the to 12m class of monohulls.

Wiski23
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt. Shred
Style: Wake
Gear: Mutiny c kites & slingshot board

Postby Wiski23 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:46 am

Television ratings for the event have been abysmal, NBC has relegated it to the sparsely distributed NBC Sports Network. After the opening races, the event managed a .08 rating, meaning only about 110,000 people in the U.S. watched it on television. By comparison, at least 10 times that many Americans regularly watch bowling on TV.

Anyways, I personally think it's far from the best Cup, not even top 3.

The nationality rule would be good, but oracle only has 1 American on board and he was replaced by a Britt. The rest are kiwis & an Ozzie.
All the teams are dominated by kiwis so I guess if we win the cup & dalton brings it in a lot of kiwis will be out of work :bye:

Watch the teams come swarming back once Larry loses his cup that he purchased.
The best thing that can happen to the old mug is a NZ win. :thumb:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Wiski23 wrote:The best thing that can happen to the old mug is a NZ win. :thumb:
I hear there's a guy waiting in the wings with a hammer in his hand...

Return to “Kitesurfing”