knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck
Brand Affiliation: None

Single point failure!

Postby knot_moving » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:56 pm

I've always rigged my safety leash to the spreader bar so its easy to reach if I ever needed it. Yesterday evening spreader bar strap gave way (POS cabrinha seat harness only lasted 7 years :P ). Lost spreader bar & kite halfway across bay. Was on my 3rd recovery plan doomed to fail when a fishing boat rescued and carefully towed it back.

Anyway - definitely recommend a spot on the front of your harness for the safety leash but maybe not on the spreader bar. Or alternatively replace your harness more often than every 7 years :D

to hijack my own thread anyone have a recommendation for a comfy seat harness?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Single point failure!

Postby NYKiter » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Dakine Fusion.

Can you explain how you lost the spreader bar? (I attach my leash to the spreader too)

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knot_moving » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:39 pm

NYKiter wrote:Dakine Fusion.

Can you explain how you lost the spreader bar? (I attach my leash to the spreader too)
The strap that attached one end of the bar to the harness tore out. The other side then let go too. Would not have happened except that it was 7 year old. Stitching just finally gave out & I wasn't looking closely enough at it - my fault all the way!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:01 am

it doesn't mater too much where on the harness you attach the safety line...if you have a waist harness...if those ropes go, the whole harness will go..I guess if you attach it like on the cartel mafia harness from Naish you'll get a bit more time before it goes. Though it can happen I would suggest changing the harness a bit more often than 7 yrs. :-)

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:33 am

Dakine Fusion is a great harness. I have a temperamental back and never feel any stress at all even when riding overpowered for long periods of time.

I am going to pick up a second one just to have on hand. Yes i like it that much!

It works great with a sliding dyna bar. Excellent support with great hook freedom, without having your ribs crushed.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knot_moving » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:43 pm

matth wrote:Dakine Fusion is a great harness. I have a temperamental back and never feel any stress at all even when riding overpowered for long periods of time.

I am going to pick up a second one just to have on hand. Yes i like it that much!

It works great with a sliding dyna bar. Excellent support with great hook freedom, without having your ribs crushed.
that will be my first demo! Not gonna buy another harness without trying it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:46 pm

I can not see any problems here ?

Except for using your harness for 7 years and "complaining" :wink:

No problem to wear things out totally - but then you can not expect things to hold up of course.

I typically use a half to 1 harness per year, occasionally 2, and sometimes it will last for 2-3 years instead of half a season :naughty:

But I ride a lot, so to be expected - and using different brands regarding harnesses.

ALWAYS wear an extra harness in the car of course, as that is the one and only thing you CAN NOT ride without...

You can always rig a bigger or smaller kite if your kite breaks down - and you can always wear a colder or warmer suit if your current one goes bad or zipper defect - but having only one harness can ruin and end your day totally :(

Regarding harnesses - besides looking at the stitching - take a look at all belts where they go around in sharp bends - as this is the point that will most often wear out fast.
Even worse if covered under some padding, so you can not see it is about to break :x

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”