Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SPI - everything but the kitchen sink

Postby Dr Makani » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Couple of friends and myself want to hit it in SPI (South Padre Island) by the end of October for a week. Fortunately one of us is able to drive and carry all gear. And I mean all gear. Basically everything what floats and flies is on the move. So I think, kite size, board and what-eva is not an issue.
Now, I only have been to SPI many times BEFORE my kite career. Holding a map with 26+ kite locations I think we won't be able to make them all. We're all pretty experienced blue water surfers, but when it comes to flat water, no of us has done it - flat virgins :lol: One of the reasons we all come to SPI working the flats.
So, maybe one of you local souls could give us some pointers where are the top five (?) spots we should hit.
I've seen that some area requires a membership and that's cool with us. We are more than happy to support a local community whilst worth it. So, if you are around, dinner and beer is on us ...

Peace

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Re: SPI - everything but the kitchen sink

Postby bnthere » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:54 pm

cool, see you in a few weeks

basic spi is really simply: at the N end of town is the (ironically named) South Flats, aka convention center beach. that is where i spend most of my flatwater time, N or S wind. 1 mile north of there is the North Flats, aka kite beach. this is where you need a pass. N flats has clean wind to the shoreline, where-as S flats can be wind shadowed in the first 50 - 100 meters (not really a big deal). between those two spots is some great super flatwater riding (a few tacks either upwind or downwind depending on where you start). both launch areas are massive.

this one area will probably keep you super stoked. but if you feel like adventuring through some trickier starting locations and launching situations and accessing some truly amazing conditions (25mph glass) ask and i give you the advise.

one bit of common local knowledge: when wind is SE it is likely 10mph stronger on the mainland, (thermal enhanced) so if it is lightish on island people will drive over there. the most popular launches over there are holly beach and the 19th hole (golf course launch).

you can check out some more details at

www.prokitesouthpadre.com

(but like i said N and S flats will probably stoke you out pretty thoroughly.)

Dr Makani
Medium Poster

Postby Dr Makani » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:15 am

awesome!

Guess we picked the right spot for our vacation rental; we are latitude with Convention Center. We basically can walk up to a 'windsurfer's launch' area at the bay side, but I am not quite sure what the rules are. 8) Speaking of rules: A while ago I've seen a map (USCG?) with all dos and donts. I respect local tribes and try to have a light food print.
Personally I am used to small (and sketchy) launch areas here in CA and HI - on some of them I literally have to throw my kite into the air running into the water ... :lol:
Anyway, I am not sure how everyone in the group feels about that. I kinda have to play it by ear.
The map you mentioned is exactly the one I am looking at since a week. And I have to say there are some awesome spots shown. The 'SHIP LANE' is on my bucket list and I gotta work that thing off ...

peace

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:17 am

ship lane is a situation that basically any comfortable rider can access

holly beach as well

dolphin cove on the island is not, it is a difficult launch situation

swing bridge is off limits right now down do it

the "windsurfer launch" you mention doesnt really exist, i bet you are just talking about the S flats (convention center beach). the sailors sometimes park and rig in the paved convention center parking lot and carry gear out from there, you could too, but we generally just drive onto the sand and park and rig on the actual flats beach (because kites hate pavement).

rules are chill, just dont ride through surfers at the South Jetty, and dont ride or fly over people along shoreline and around swimmers on the ocean side.

Dr Makani
Medium Poster

Postby Dr Makani » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:53 am

good insights! From all of us a big thank you!
Stoked and ready for some flat.

peace

Return to “Kitesurfing”