Drew22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tpa
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to make my bar safe.

Postby Drew22 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:27 pm

So the recent talks about bar safety made me think about mine and any mods I can do to make it a little bit safer. My bar is a mini 5th that goes to a dual line safety. The problem is the safety is really not a safety, it depowers my kite max 10 to 15%. It honestly is like riding suicide even though your hooked to the mini 5th. I want to teach my wife to kite and I dont feel to good putting her on this system I just upgraded and bought some Best Cabos but I like the simplicity of going back and fourth easy from 22m to 15m lines when it is nuking on my current bar, so im unsure about the 2013 best bar. Is there any way to make the current config I got a single line safety.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: How to make my bar safe.

Postby edt » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:51 pm

to mod it you want to buy a swivel I think a naish swivel runs about $100, maybe also a cleat ($30), pulley ($25) new chicken line ($15) depending on if you can make your current trip strap work. You could also buy a naish 2012 universal control bar (last year's) for about $350, so if you mod your current bar instead of buy another control bar, you will save about $200, but you need to know what you are doing.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Yah I agree with edt. Buying is better if you are looking for safer safety...
I did build/mod a bar to have a single line safety for my wife to use while I waited for the 2014 bars to become available. Even though I tested it over and over again, I did not hesitate to buy her a new bar as soon as the one I wanted for her became available. She says she likes the one I built better (smaller, lighter) but without the below the bar swivel I just don't think she will keep her center lines untwisted.

Drew22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tpa
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Drew22 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Looks like ill just get the 2013 redline bar thanks guys.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:50 am

You can see one modded here.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2380826&p=797312&hi ... ne#p797312

Like I said, I wouldn't start with a Redline bar by preference and would use the Naish Universal swivel.

I haven't owned a Best kite, but there is a trick which may work with it.
When you go to the mini-fifth, before the kite hits the water, pull in as much as you can reach of the flagging line and at the moment the kite hits the water, release it. That may make the kite drop on it's back. Its not a solution but may help get the kite onto it's back without having to try to swim towards it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”