Forum for kitesurfers
islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

scams get funnier every year

Postby islandstylen » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:31 pm

Not that anyone is stupid enough to fall for this one but I thought id throw it out there.
This is what I was emailed today by the one and only ... Paul Peter .... really?

BTW .Anyone really interested i have a nice 10.5m 2013 envy for sale!

HelloI'm interested in your item, do you still have it? if you do, i willnot be able to come over to your location to pick up right now due tomy working commitment so be considerate, i Just wanna buy the item formy niece as a gift, but I will instruct my assistant to prepare andmail your payment which I'm sure you will get in about 3/5 workingdays. i can add ($30) extra so you can keep it for me and consider itsold to me. i will pay via Money order so how should your name appearon a check? and your address to mail it to? phone number needed suchas mobile Or landlines? i will include the shipment cost if you can dothat for me or will arrange for pick up after you received and cashedyour payment.awaiting your info ASAP.Thanks

Rando1994
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: East beach at fort desoto
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone zephyr, ocean rodeo rise, mako king

Re: scams get funnier every year

Postby Rando1994 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:06 am

Yeah, same guy just contacted me also. Said he's buying it for his niece. Idiot.

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:16 am

Got the same email for my bolt 7m...

rocktor
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis

Postby rocktor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:05 am

Yep exact same email. I was stupid enough to respond with a descriptive email the first time explaining the condition of my kite. And I got the same email as a reply all over again.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:36 am

Hilarious,
Got the same email from that guy today.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:54 am

yea...scammed with same message.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:07 pm

What's the scam... i don't get it? Gaining personel details or hoping people will send items without payment? Don't think it's even worthy of the word 'scam' is it... it's just bullshit no? My inbox gets about 20 of these type emails everyday!

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby islandstylen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Sorry if you get 20 of these a day. Glad I dont. Didnt realise there was certain criteria to be "worthy" of a scam. I have heard all kinds of excuses over the years of people trying to get kites without payment or great excuses. First time I seen a change in tack ... I would call it a scam to get my personal details ... which must be of use or this person wouldn't bother to send these emails.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:47 pm

As I understand this scam it goes like this, once you provide the guy with details, he will send you a check/money order from a foreign country which is for too much money. It will be counterfeit. He will ask for you to send the extra money back to him. You don't find out the money order is fake until your bank withdraws the money back from your account when they realize its fake. It could take weeks, mean while you have already shipped the board and the extra cash back to them.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Laughingman wrote:As I understand this scam it goes like this, once you provide the guy with details, he will send you a check/money order from a foreign country which is for too much money. It will be counterfeit. He will ask for you to send the extra money back to him. You don't find out the money order is fake until your bank withdraws the money back from your account when they realize its fake. It could take weeks, mean while you have already shipped the board and the extra cash back to them.
gotcha... like the first guy said you'd almost deserve it if you're stupid enough to fall for it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”