Forum for kitesurfers
func
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Equipment failure at height?

Postby func » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Almost all of my equipment failures have been at height, except boards of course.

Had two spreader bars break, both at altitude; each time only a single side broke and I could limp home. Lucky, as one happened in midair way high above shallow water - I won't be doing that again. Had two waist harnesses rip right in half during hooked in kiteloops; they were old harnesses though. The second one was painful though - the shock load on my arms made them sore for months. My new harness is way more comfy anyway.

Snapped a bar in half once too - both the chicken loop and the bar broke, but I dropped the kite right in front of a big breaking wave; I was glad the bar and loop broke and not me.

Lots of board failures, but those were all during contact with the water. Usually landings. :)

Having spent a lot of time falling out of the sky attached to paragliders, I don't do any big jumps over anything other than deep water these days - you never know when something's going to let go.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Puetz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:43 am

edt wrote:caption of that shot of toby should be

"Toby unhooks"
... or "Toby unhooks and look what happens, all hell breaks loose" :rollgrin:

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:45 am

func wrote:Almost all of my equipment failures have been at height, except boards of course.

Had two spreader bars break, both at altitude; each time only a single side broke and I could limp home. Lucky, as one happened in midair way high above shallow water - I won't be doing that again. Had two waist harnesses rip right in half during hooked in kiteloops; they were old harnesses though. The second one was painful though - the shock load on my arms made them sore for months. My new harness is way more comfy anyway.

Snapped a bar in half once too - both the chicken loop and the bar broke, but I dropped the kite right in front of a big breaking wave; I was glad the bar and loop broke and not me.

Lots of board failures, but those were all during contact with the water. Usually landings. :)

Having spent a lot of time falling out of the sky attached to paragliders, I don't do any big jumps over anything other than deep water these days - you never know when something's going to let go.
... just wondering, are you a big dude,,, or are you just aggressive with your gear?

cheers,

Robbie :D

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:07 am

func wrote:Having spent a lot of time falling out of the sky attached to paragliders, I don't do any big jumps over anything other than deep water these days - you never know when something's going to let go.
And you are still alive or writing this from heaven (or hell)?
:P

func
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo

Postby func » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:00 pm

Puetz wrote:
... just wondering, are you a big dude,,, or are you just aggressive with your gear?

cheers,

Heh, I was 205 lbs when I broke my last harness. Kind of realized that's a bit much for kiting, so I'm down to 195 now. Not huge, but not small either; perhaps spreader bars should come with a weight range. I think it's more that I'm not as good at kiting as I think I am... I probably pull the trigger when I should be riding off into the sunset. :)

I'm still alive, but I don't do much paragliding these days - too many dead friends from paragliding. It's too bad, as there's a decent launch 2 miles from my house now, but it's got a very sketchy landing. Sometimes I go fly RC gliders up there with my son, but I doubt I'll take the paraglider out again. Too many other fun things to do around here!

Wade

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:16 am

func wrote:
Puetz wrote:

cheers,

Heh, I was 205 lbs when I broke my last harness. Kind of realized that's a bit much for kiting, so I'm down to 195 now. Not huge, but not small either; perhaps spreader bars should come with a weight range. I think it's more that I'm not as good at kiting as I think I am... I probably pull the trigger when I should be riding off into the sunset. :)

I'm still alive, but I don't do much paragliding these days - too many dead friends from paragliding. It's too bad, as there's a decent launch 2 miles from my house now, but it's got a very sketchy landing. Sometimes I go fly RC gliders up there with my son, but I doubt I'll take the paraglider out again. Too many other fun things to do around here!

Wade
... pfffft,,, 205 ,,, 195 lbs,,,, that's fly weight,,,, well not really but you aint got nothing on my 265 lbs,,, now thats an excuse for breaking spreader bars! :lol:

Funny thing I've broken one side of the hook and always on the same side for some reason, at least I could limp home so long as I don't ride aggressively. Once the whole hook came off so I assembled the chick loop to go around the bar itself and come home easily, ended up kiting another half hour like that too.

cheers,

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby laz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:05 am

I have had a line break mid jump before. Honestly if you are going to be doing big jumps just invest in a good set of lines, also I always put extra 2 inch pig tails on my lines (you can make them, go to west marine) and than replace them after they wear out every 6 months or so. Better safe than sorry.

Return to “Kitesurfing”