Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Switch Nitro II 12m Review

Postby flybykite » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:16 am

I’ve had 7 sessions on my new Nitro II 12m totalling about 10 hours in Vietnam’s warm, tropical, thermal winds. The wind speeds I am using in this review range from 12-20 knots. I am 6’ tall, 66 kilos, intermediate/advanced rider with 200+ days per year on the water, riding aggressive old school style on a Shinn Monk 135x42 with Switch bar and 23m lines. I rode mostly Rebels in the past 2 years and I have a 16m Nitro 1 as my comparisons.

First I have to say this is a well-built kite. I’m completely impressed with the quality and everyone I’ve shown it to agree with its quality. Bag is great! 5 stars for sure.

Power: This kite is very powerful and it requires apparent wind to find it. Once I am moving, the power just keeps building. I think V2 is even more powerful than V1 by say 10- 15%. I was impressed with how much power I had compared to my rebel 12m. However, it is a very different kite and cannot really be compared to the rebel. I had problems trying to dump the power for transitions and loading sent jumps. This kite just wants to pull. Once you gain speed, trying to carve off the power while sending the kite up towards 12 just doesn’t work even after I manage to get my edge back it wants to stick at 45 degrees and pull harder. I changed my technique a bit by running at the kite downwind while sending it up and that seemed to help kill power a bit especially after a jump or trick landed at speed. Or alternatively, I would make a toe side turn against the kite before it turned to get the power off of me. I did find it annoying that I couldn’t ride hooligan style as I did on the rebel with its instant power dump when I wanted. With the Nitro V1 16m I don’t seem to have this problem however it is lighter wind that I’m using it in and I use 30m lines.

Hang time: Amazing hang time and butter soft landings! Loads of time to sort out your tricks. I still have troubles getting the timing for sent jumps since the kite wants to pull me off my edge at 11 o’clock or 1 o’clock while sending it at speed. Perhaps this is due to my weight. I’ve had a few impressive jumps that were taken off 2 foot kickers but I think this kite was not really intended to be an explosive jumper. I would really love to try a 10 or 8m size to compare.

Turning speed: Meh… not so impressive. Turns like a truck and with lots of pull. It is a high aspect kite intended for racing so I’m not surprised. I was just hoping that those square wingtips were going to have changed the turning speed from V1. Not so.

Drift: Surprisingly enough, I have not been able to overrun the kite yet. Even a botched landing with the kite slightly behind me- the kite just drifted back to where it should be. In the V1 Nitro, you get the classic Hindenburg drop usually rolling the kite sending me to the beach to sort out my lines. I think the drift is much better on V2.

Upwind: This will blow you away! I can go upwind at angles I didn’t think were possible. This is where this kite really shines. With my rebel 12m, I need to do 2 longer tacks to arrive at the same place upwind vs. one smaller tack with the Nitro2. The kite sits very far to the edge of the window with loads of power and constantly drives upwind. I’m not a racer but I can certainly appreciate its capabilities.

Relaunch: Super! I did drop it a couple times trying some new tricks but it went back up super easy with just one line. Unlike the V1 where I needed to grab an outside and opposite inside line to fish the kite up on its edge.

Bar Pressure: I had my first session on the fastest turning speed, lowest pressure, but I just couldn’t feel the kite (too light) since there was almost no pressure. I’ve settled for medium pressure which is still quite light compared to the V1.

I was looking for a kite to replace all my Rebels but I’m still not sure this kite suites my hooligan riding style. If I could dump the power when I want, this kite would be my new love. Just had a ride on a 13m Ozone edge which felt comparable to the 12m Nitro 2 in apparent power delivery however with the Edge I can access/dump the power better resulting in better timing for sent jumps and worry free transitions.

Overall Nitro 2 is the best “Race specific” kite I know. Upwind is unmatched even to Ozone Edge. If I wanted to win a race, this is the kite I would choose. I don’t recommend this kite for people who want to ride old school aggressively with lots of transitions, jumps, and turns since you will be constantly fighting the awesome power it delivers.
flybykite

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Re: Switch Nitro II 12m Review

Postby jwoodunlv » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:00 pm

i have the 8m and can also agree that jumping it takes a bit of getting used to. I had it out last tuesday in high 20's to low 40's in the gusts and it would pull me off my edge. I managed to time it right a couple of times though and it will throw your butt to pluto if you get it right. Try going into your jumps with a little less speed and keep your core solid. Send it from a little over 45 degrees. More like around 60 degrees. If you get the timing right you will be rewarded. I've had all my biggest jumps so far on this kite and two of them scared the crap out of me. I also use it strapless in waves and if you depower it, it is a really nice surf kite. It drifts extremely well for a high aspect powerhouse.

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:46 am

jwoodunlv wrote:i have the 8m and can also agree that jumping it takes a bit of getting used to. I had it out last tuesday in high 20's to low 40's in the gusts and it would pull me off my edge. I managed to time it right a couple of times though and it will throw your butt to pluto if you get it right. Try going into your jumps with a little less speed and keep your core solid. Send it from a little over 45 degrees. More like around 60 degrees. If you get the timing right you will be rewarded. I've had all my biggest jumps so far on this kite and two of them scared the crap out of me. I also use it strapless in waves and if you depower it, it is a really nice surf kite. It drifts extremely well for a high aspect powerhouse.
Sadly I've sold this kite and gone with ozone edge. A lot easier to kill power on and still trucks upwind and jumps like mad with an impressive wind range. The trade in was its price and build quality.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:32 am

flybykite wrote:The trade in was its price and build quality.
You saying the Ozone isn't built as well?

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:43 am

Kamikuza wrote:
flybykite wrote:The trade in was its price and build quality.
You saying the Ozone isn't built as well?
Yup. Not nearly as refined in its build. For example... Ozone is still using plastic cinch ties to connect the rubber tubes to the struts. There are no reinforcement build ups in the high wear areas, trailing edge is only doubled up ripstop instead of dacron, Although they use Teijin coated fabric they are not using the latest double thread rip stop that is available. Other small quirps: The bag is super basic drawstring without pockets on the outside for my kite paraphernalia and even though its a large one pump system... ozone includes only the two most useless pump attachment heads with the kite. (the angled needle head and the very narrow head) Hmmm... why not the one needed to pump the kite? After all this is noted, its still a fantastic wing design.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:25 am

I fly Switch methods And an ozone edge 2013( no pumps delivered overhere)
And true, quality of materials and finish.....sorry Ozone, you are going down, ( have been flying ozones from the start)

Switch offers damned good quality and finish, my only reason why l purchased the Edge, was because my experience with the Nitro v1 14m.

It was too powerfull for me on the freerace board, not to mention the Barpressure, when the wind picked up a Bit, the Barpressure went up so high l could not hold the bar anymore, pressure went off the steeringlines and the kite started jellyfishing.

BUT l am going to test the new Nitro v2 12m, and when thiskite fullfills my needs, l sell my Edge.
The edge as well as the reo, are kites that are build so light, that it is better to always have someone to land and start the kite, it are kites that should be in the air or water, so lightly build ( which for a racekite l can understand) but again overall finish and used materials are much better at Switch!

Btw l love my methods v1 and v2

Dude 8)

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:22 pm

yeah, my experience with the larger Nitro's are the same. The Nitro V2 14M is a truck. it's almost dangerous in that you just cannot dump the power. trying to edge and send it is a difficult task. it does float you, but i find the inability to really send it means the jumps aren't that good. i think the conditions have to be just right for this kite to work, and i haven't really found out what exactly those conditions are. the Nitro V1 10m is a very nice kite and i still enjoy it, but the bigger ones (old and new) miss the mark.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:54 am

Interesting this should pop up again...

Was going to demo a 2013 Catalyst 14 this week, until I pumped it up and went to flip it over - you know the seams where the canopy attaches to the leading edge? There was several gaps of 1 to 2 inches where the stitching was gone :o

Return to “Reviews”