Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone edge 11 9, ozone cat 8,reo 10
Shinn mf, shinn speedball w18
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Shinn w18 speedball

Postby Stephen wilkinson » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:55 am

Hey guys, any more reviews on the w18 speedball?
Cheers

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Re: Shinn w18 speedball

Postby Dirk » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:38 am

I have the W16 and rode it know three times. I like it and it is growing on me every time I ride it more. For me that is aboard you have to get used to and adapt a bit. My TT before that was a 2009 North X-ride (135x39) which I did not ride much lately because I was focussing on my surfboard.

With 75kg I feel the additional width which for me at this stage is a bit more demanding on the legs. But then it is planning earlier, staying afloat longer and going upwind really good. I think for me it is more about getting used to it (which actually happens with every session) and getting back to some more TT-riding technique.

Same is true for the carving. Coming from surfboards with a pretty centred balance the first times the board was just sliding away. It needs more backfoot pressure and I still have to adapt to that. Well, the tips are wider than the tail of my surfboard. When I get right it has great grip and creates a nice spray.
So, all in all a fun board which is different from your average TT.

Stephen wilkinson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Perth wa local beaches
Favorite Beaches: Perth north

Postby Stephen wilkinson » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:19 am

I thought i would have had a update and more feedback from Mike birt or burt :o
after a while since the first review??

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:22 am

What do you need to know - what is your weight and intended use?

For lightweight light wind, I can only confirm what I wrote earlier. And it does grow on you - generally fun to be on the board, requires changed stance to relax due to width. It is not competitive with large square lightwind boards but goes up agasint small surf boards in light wind chop, only not as fast.

I'm considering a nugget or paipo or something to add more bottom end where the Speedball fails to go better upwind in light wind - but won't be adding a square board. Speedball does go upwind really well in lighter wind, just not in very light wind - it's kind of a switch: either you struggle keeping ground, or you start searching for the launch site downwind. I still think its a great board for lighter wind and in chop, always fun to blast past other TT riders when the wind drops.

Haven't tried it in stronger wind with my apex bindings but I have this idea that a smaller kite in wave/chop conditions can work well for a lighter rider. Though a w16 would be better for that I think.
Last edited by icebird on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:09 pm

As I said in the PM check out http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... 70&t=55754 for lot's of Shinn info - there is even a new 2014 thread.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Its an old review, but this is one of the more relevant posts from Kiteboarder forum

cut and paste.

by Sonnyrider » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:53 am

I've been lucky enough to have a demo of the W18 Speedball. My main TT weapon of choice is a 135 Dundee (upgraded from a Luigi 2). I also have a 140 King George for lighter winds
The first day I used it was typical up down April wind, 13 - 20 mph I was on a 12m Reo (normally I would be on a 14 Cat riding my Dundee) wind was cross on, almost on shore. typical erratic mush with knee\waist\chest high waves popping up now & again
My 2nd day was at Pembrey on a low tide, so a mixture of flat, mush, waves out back. Wind was similar to the above, but dropping off to less as the session went on

Mike B wrote:Some bullet points to start...
- Big range, very big... there is width, so it forgives and starts to build speed quickly, but lets the speed build with exceptional efficiency, and creates a lot of apparent wind. You can develop a lot of board speed for not a lot of power. - For heavier riders it offers a lot of drive for you to push against.

Builds speed very easily, as easy as the KG for getting up on. Does not feel as big as the KG. It carves up wind stupidly easy. No leg burn, like the KG. Once up on the plane, you can generate apparent wind in the lulls. You really can ride them out. Im 95-98kg

Mike B wrote:- The larger W18 feels TINY for the planing potential offered, and for heavier riders it's somewhat of a revelation for mainstream all-round use. It has attributes of low speed flotation, small feel and efficiency that I have not seen combined in one single board so far. The W18 was the first board I tested and after 3 runs I had to stop and look for the sizing for I was utterly convinced I had taken the smaller board (no joke).

Completely agree, it does not feel like a big board. It feels small, but yet feels big when it needs to. It's a very strange sensation. Because it feels small, you think you better be careful over the mush etc, because you think it's going to dig the front in. It doesn't, it floats over it. Makes you laugh because you "Got away with it, that time"

Mike B wrote:- Stable and smooth at high loads / speed, not the Monk, but as good as any shinn has proven to be in the last 3 years.

Very, very stable. I could not unsettle the board at all. I tried

Mike B wrote:- Carving ability is excellent - a real standout feature. Not only a very stable entry to the turn but highly effective arc, cutting round hard corners with very little drama. In this it is like a surfboard, not the slashy water spraying blast of the Monk, but a very natural initiation with progressive bite and stable drive through the turn, something not offered by any of the other shinn boards. Traditional twins do skip around at this transition point - the speedball engages and bites without any drama.

Yes, it does feel very surfboard like. It is very easy to whip the back foot round without much effort, surprising considering the big fins on it. Seriously easy to experiment with your carving. The only way I can describe it - you are a weeble, weebles do not fall down. You can kind of wobble, go top heavy over balanced, but because the board is wide, it makes you feel planted, a bit like your feet are fixed to a solid mount, you 'wobble' then you can just lean back and away you go. it's very weird, but also good

Mike B wrote:- Very resistant to lulls, the width and slippery efficient feel just punches straight through them like they are not there.

Very resistant to lulls, just keep moving that kite and you just ride through it. Amazing

Mike B wrote:- Has huge float and buoyancy when speeds decay to a crawl - makes for a very easy fun board to experiment with if the kite power drops to zero for a split second.

At pembrey I was trying to catch up a couple of waves down wind from me, I missed them, I got there as the white water was there. First time I took it easy, it is white water and I am on a TT after all. It rode over it, like it wasn't there WTF!?
So I went looking for white water, just to see. Yup, the white water was not a hinderance on this board, it just floated over it at any speed. Amazing. The KG can not cope as well as the Speedball. It was a good as a surfboard in this area, but you're riding a TT

Mike B wrote:- Is excellent in whitewater / confused choppy breaks - allows you to mess about with impunity, especially if you are medium to heavyweight.

Agreed

I had an open mind with this board. I wanted to see what it was like
To me it's like a KG, but not as big. It felt better, esp. when smashing my way out back through the waves. When you use the wave as a ramp it lands so smoothly, it really is like landing on an air bag. It carves, it gets me going on a 12m when others weighing 20 - 30 kgs lighter were on 11's
It feels like a surfboard, but clearly is not
It feels like a skim, in that you can slash it around, piss around, do what you can in lighter winds without worrying you are going to lose your power, send the kite and off it goes. But it is not a skim

I did manage to compare my Dundee at Pembrey for a short period. The Dundee, for me, felt better when I was pushing on, finding more speed. The Reo seemed to work better with the Dundee than the Speedball. I seemed to find a top speed and could not get it to go faster. I rode in, jumped on the Dundee and managed more speed.
Was it my technique because I ride the Dundee all the time or was it the board? I wouldn't like to say. But at the time I was blaming the kite
The ride on the Dundee was short lived, the wind was dropping I could not get up wind, I could only just hold my ground, mostly losing ground. Jumped back on the Speedball and I was rocketing up wind agin. Eventually I couldn't get up wind any more, I could hold ground, was about 13 mph on a 12m
13mph is normally Zephyr world for me
As I was walking back in, my GF came up and was struggling a little on her 130 Monk & 8m VX. She rode off on the Speedball, I warned her she wouldn't like it.
On paper the board is too big for her at 60kgs
She loved every minute on it, she stayed out until she was too tired to kite any longer. Amazing was her response, it's so forgiving, carves well, a great all rounder. Works very well with the smaller kite. Much, much better than the KG for weight. Jumps well, lands well. and no leg burn

I wanted to hang onto the board for longer, get a couple of powerd up sessions in on it. But the demo days took it away from me :(

For me it has the best of my King George & the ease of use I get from my Dundee, plus the skim feeling I get from my LF fish
I love my Dundee, the Dundee is my weapon of choice, the KG is less used.

A Speedball would make a good replacement for the KG as it is a better all rounder with more feedback and it rides like it is on rails. Point it where you want to go and it does as it's ordered

Eppo said " It was like the board gives you what YOUR individual style wants…well it feeds it back to YOU, rather than dictate HOW you should ride."
HIt the nail on it's head

I want another go :-)

and sorry for the long post

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Nice reviews, and I trust in MB. Anyone tried one alongside a 2014 North Nugget ? Might be a better comparison than a conventional TT, both being a little unique.

Stephen wilkinson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Perth wa local beaches
Favorite Beaches: Perth north

Postby Stephen wilkinson » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:21 am

Hey guys, thanks so much for the replies.

Return to “Kitesurfing”