RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Damo on getting into foilboarding & 2014 Cab. control bar

Postby RickI » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:47 pm

Some photos from the Kite Nite ...

Damien LeRoy fills us in on foilboarding and getting into it plus provides an overview of the remarkable Cabrinha control bar for 2014.

Damo provides some insight on posture in an effort to avoid getting catapulted by a foilboard.

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Damo on getting into foilboarding & 2014 Cab. control ba

Postby Arcsrule » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks for the pics Rick. I read a thread where you had a session on a foilboard. Status please?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:21 pm

You are welcome! I went out a couple of times with a vintage, 2003 Rush Randle foilboard with some iffy foot straps I installed. The first time I learned about (not) body dragging upwind against onshore flow with a foilboard and the second on what too little wind for a newbie looks like. I need to work on the footstraps or take them off entirely and have another go. How are you doing in Jax foilboarding?
Arcsrule wrote:Thanks for the pics Rick. I read a thread where you had a session on a foilboard. Status please?

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:44 am

I don't have a foil yet. They're hard to find. cheapest I've found so far is $2200 plus shipping. That's a lot of $$$ for something I've only seen in movies! The real problem I see for me is getting out in the surf. my wind is normally dead on and I can't wade out to chest deep now because of the kites lift. the new HYDROFOIL forum Toby put up is going to be a great help in figuring this all out.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Adventure Sports Ft. Lauderdale has been selling Lift foilboards for $1800. but supplies are limited and they go fast. Once you are good with a foilboard you may be able to get out with dead onshore wind in surf. I tried to my first time out thinking I could make it out with enough effort and technique. This was in onshore wind with light chop, say 2 to 3+ ft. near high tide and was unable to get out despite trying for a good long while. It is hard to body drag upwind with the foilboard in short. I asked around after and the consensus was that these things don't like to be dragged upwind as normally configured. Once you are on your game with a foilboard you may be able to ride out upwind however.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:42 pm

Arcsrule wrote:I don't have a foil yet. They're hard to find. cheapest I've found so far is $2200 plus shipping. That's a lot of $$$ for something I've only seen in movies! The real problem I see for me is getting out in the surf. my wind is normally dead on and I can't wade out to chest deep now because of the kites lift. the new HYDROFOIL forum Toby put up is going to be a great help in figuring this all out.
I tried to answer your question on the hydrofoil forum, in case you haven't seen it :D

8) Peter

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:55 pm

I just called adv sports ft laud and they have one left--$2495.00 PLUS SHIPPING. that's $1100 more than Carifino.

Peter frank....I saw your answer and I thank your very much. I will be picking your brain in the future for sure!

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:54 pm

Arcsrule wrote:I just called adv sports ft laud and they have one left--$2495.00 PLUS SHIPPING. that's $1100 more than Carifino.
WHAT! When did the price go up by $700?

East of Maui had them listed at $1800, but now $2200 :-? http://shop.eastofmaui.com/LIFT-HYDROFO ... FOIL-2013/

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:07 pm

I also emailed MHL for a price quote--$2200 plus shipping. I told them about east of maui price of 1800. Mhl said that was a used board. so I email east of maui and their "20%" off deal was gone, as in waiting on new shipment and new price. I have not heard back from them with new price.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race

Postby shawn13 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:49 pm

davesails7 wrote:
WHAT! When did the price go up by $700?
When interest suddenly spiked from Damien and Johnny's youtube videos probably!

Return to “Kitesurfing”