Rare Poster
Local Beach: Columbia Gorge
Gear: Whatever
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about learning.. travel

Postby bonneamie » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:12 am

We've decided that we want to go learn to Kitesurf over the holidays and have set aside 2 weeks for our trip.

Both athletic, have spent our lives on the water, sail competitively.

From the Pacific Northwest where would be an ideal warm location to escape to to learn over our holiday and what advice if any do you have with regard to selecting the right instructors?

Thanks for the advice!

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Re: Question about learning.. travel

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:50 am

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:02 am

If your going to stay inside them US, South Padre Island, Tx. and Islamorada, Florida Keys are the only 2 options. Some one else will tell you about South Padre.

Islamorada, Florida Keys - Winter temps average 70 - 85 degrees. Water temps run from mid-60s - upper 70s. Cold front are common from November - early March and temps can fall into the mid 50s but not common and only lasts a day or two. February - May gets a lot of easterly winds which are warm and steady. There are hundreds of miles of shallow (waist deep) water to learn and ride. Lots of great riders and great people. In case of no wind? This is the Keys! Diving, snorkeling, fishing, sup, sailing, nature, drinking, I could go on. Key West is 1 1/2 hrs. to the south and Miami is an hour North.

If this sounds like what your looking for, call Otherside Boardsports. All instructors have a minimum of 5 years teaching experience and come with top credentials. Some have been riding for as much as 14 years. A few pros also work there. Otherside is the only school and shop with it's own cable park (Keys Cable) to learn how to ride the board before your kite lesson which will greatly speed up your learning curve. It is what is called a 2 point system which is catered specifically to the rider.

Lots of great places to stay depending on your budget. From $50.00 - $600.00 a night.

Otherside Boardsports
www.othersideboardsports.com
(305)853-9728

Keys Cable
www.keyscable.com
(305)414-8245

Any questions!

bonneamie
Rare Poster

Postby bonneamie » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:15 am

Both FL and TX are off the menu. I don't want to get into why, but was thinking South America, Costa Rica, maybe Venezuela or even Hawaii, but I suspect HI is not a good starter venue. Any good places outside the states you'd recommend?

Homersaint
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Adicora, mata gorda adicora
Favorite Beaches: Adicora
Style: Frestyle jumps raceca
Gear: Cabrinha switchblade 2011, cogua

Postby Homersaint » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:50 am

Come to Adicora, venezuela! Lots of wind, flats for beginers and kickers for a little fun too! Water always warm and waist deep 50 meters from shore, also there are pretty good instructors with plenty experience. Also food and posadas are cheap and plenty! If you want more information dont hesitate and contact me via mail, homersaint1979@gmail.com, cheers!

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Most of my summer crew go to Laventana, Mexico. Its at the bottom of the Baja. I believe you fly into Cabo and take a small drive. I've never been but I feel like I have considering everyone I know from the Pacific NW spends the winter there. I know 2 great instructors there. Pete Rhymer and Greg Innes with Elevation Kite school. Super patient guys! I'm pretty certain the wind and water are learner friendly.
Its difficult to choose an instructor unless you know who you want since you will likely arrive at a school and they will pair you.
I had a couple people teach me and I liked one woman particularly because she had a loud voice I could hear on the water. Having someone who shares your first language is also helpful. One less thing to think about.
Good luck. Safe travels!

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Get and watch the Progression Beginners kitesurfing instructional DVD before you go on the trip.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:09 pm

who do you know at Air Padre that would be a good instructor, Dave?

there are many good kite trip destinations (although not many with a "bunny slope" factor like a huge warm shallow flatwater hazard free bay with steady wind.) there are usually a number of schools at spots like that, and at this point most are equally geared up (radio helmets, waverunners for each lesson, and good kite gear, or at least they should be).

its important to pay attention to who is where and doing what.

which holiday? Padre is colder january feb, and cloudy as much as sunny, not exactly beach weather everyday (although wicked kiteboarding 5 days/week mid winter) laV and losB are nicer weather Jan Feb but imo less ideal learning conditions, but doable, a lot of people pick it up down there.

Padre is really nice through mid-dec, we still have some no wetsuit days even into late dec (no wetsuit xmas morning session last year) , but most likely a 3/2 plus top or 4/3 is what you want (water warmish 70 around then, air can be cool 50 but could also be 85 depending on weather of the week.

although people from OR and WA (and canadians) think we are weak. but i say dont be a hero, bring a suit.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:32 pm

flybykite wrote:because she had a loud voice I could hear on the water. !

how does any legit school not use radios. that is not only a major hinderance to a persons potential learning and skill development, it is a massive safety hazard.

bonneamie
Rare Poster

Postby bonneamie » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Homersaint wrote:Come to Adicora, venezuela! Lots of wind, flats for beginers and kickers for a little fun too! Water always warm and waist deep 50 meters from shore, also there are pretty good instructors with plenty experience. Also food and posadas are cheap and plenty! If you want more information dont hesitate and contact me via mail, homersaint1979@gmail.com, cheers!
Homersaint, thanks! Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire were all on the list. How are things set up out on the islands?

Return to “Kitesurfing”