RRD Obsession 9
Spleen RIP 145
Flyboard Radical 4
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Setting up and trimming kite to full potential / power

Postby BigTomi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 am

After 5 months my lines are stretched what is normal , did line check and adjusted to same length

Now when all lines are same length how do you TRIM kite to its full power?
How do you check that kite is properly trimmed?

How do you than regulate power of kite? Aerodynamically by increasing angle of attack ( kite angle to relative wind ) you should increase lift ( power of a kite ).
If angle is to big ( steering lines to short ) kite will stall or if steering lines are too long by fully puling bar kite will not give full power.

How do you trim for that? What are indicators of a good preset trim for given wind.

If wind is stronger we depower by puling depower line and with that shorten front lines which lessens angle of attack and decrease power of a kite.

Sorry for this uneducated question, but coming from Flysurfers to LEI , presently enjoying Switch kites. Nitro2 16m and Element2 13m

Tomi

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Re: Setting up and trimming kite to full potential / power

Postby Kite2Heaven » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:25 am

Easy - adjust it for minimum backstall on a middle knot front n back so you can still adjust if needed

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:41 am

On second thoughts - if there all the same length again... It will fly as per Normal. Skim reading duh !

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:48 am

"Depower" your kite then send it through the power zone and tell me if you've reduced the power in the kite at all... It's a trim system, not a power-limiting system.

IMO the important thing about trimming a kite is to set it all up so that you can maintain a good body position ie. a good stance... You and the kite should then be in the best set up for most efficient aero- and hydrodynamics :D

Many (most?) kites are designed so that if the lines are equal with the bar pulled in, then that's the perfect trim; don't over-think it. Unless you're racing...

If the kite is too powerful, then it's a sign you need a smaller kite and vice versa.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:42 pm

tuning kites is an art. lots of advise, not enough time. you'll get better at it.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:57 pm

there are all kinds of ways to do it

to get close
if you are lucky and get a day where the kite is underpowered a bit but with steady wind and will still fly
on the beach put it a 12 and slowly pull in the bar

if it back flys the back lines are too short
if it does not, grab the back lines and pull in until it does, that is how much they are too long

then always go fly it on the water and see if it will fly the way you want
some people trim it so it back flys a bit on purpose when fully sheeted in,

lots of ways to do it, this is simple and will get you close as a starting place

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Kamikuza wrote:"Depower" your kite then send it through the power zone and tell me if you've reduced the power in the kite at all... It's a trim system, not a power-limiting system.

IMO the important thing about trimming a kite is to set it all up so that you can maintain a good body position ie. a good stance... You and the kite should then be in the best set up for most efficient aero- and hydrodynamics :D

Many (most?) kites are designed so that if the lines are equal with the bar pulled in, then that's the perfect trim; don't over-think it. Unless you're racing...

If the kite is too powerful, then it's a sign you need a smaller kite and vice versa.
+1

Ok here I go again! Power comes from wind generating lift as it goes over the kite. Same as an airplane generates lift. Kite shape, size, air density, and apparent wind are the main factors in power.

There are 3 points of trimming the kite.
1: at the kite where you attach your lines.
2: your trim strap (depower strap/rope).
3: your bar throw.

I personally trim in this fashion. I use the attachments at the kite to adjust for line stretch so I don't have to all ways tune my bar. I do most of my trimming at the trim strap. I know from experience where I should be. Things I look at is shape of kite in air, are my wingtips flared in or out, is the kite flying over my head or backstalling. When I unhook how does the kite react, how is my bar pressure. I look at all these things to determine if I need to trim.

As far as power goes. I fly 7/9/13m Fuels I do from time to time ride over trimmed on my 13 at it's top end before I might switch out to my 9. But in general if I have pulled 4" or more trim I know I need to switch out to a smaller kite.

Biggest thing to learn is that Power is kite, and Trim is how well it flies. Kites are not cars they don't have a throttle. It's a trim strap not depower strap!!!!!!!!! :angryfire:

BigTomi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Abu Dhabi , Yas Island, UAE
Nin, Croatia,
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Switch Element 9 , 13 Nitro 16
Flysurfer Speed3 12m, Speed4 8m
Fone Bandit 12
RRD Obsession 9
Spleen RIP 145
Flyboard Radical 4

Postby BigTomi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:33 am

Great reply, thanks for your info and time guys.

Tomi

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Airplane analogy is great, if you're a plane geek :D too many hours playing flight sims, me...

Base-line your bar & lines - most important thing you can do to trim it - then go out with the kite.
IMO best to do this in the bottom half of the kite's wind range... when you can just ride upwind if you don't mess around, but can stall the kite a bit if you sheet in and hold it.

If you can ride and hold a nice straight tack, start playing with bar position. You'll feel the position where the pressure builds and the kite pulls the best, and if you keep pulling more the pressure keeps increasing but the kite doesn't make anymore power, or back-stalls.

Now, trim the (gnnn!) depower system so that you can hold a good stance, with the bar making full power (best lift/drag ratio?) in whatever position you find comfortable. Now your kite's trimmed :D

If you got short arms, it might be right on the QR. For me it's usually an inch or two above...

Return to “Kitesurfing”