Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

BR Maui Paipo vs Litewave DV8 vs Axis Wave

Postby C Johnson » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi Kiteforum,

I'm looking to better understand the differences between these 3 boards.

I currently have the DV8 and love virtually every aspect of this board except for the weight is a tad higher then I'd like which limits the strapless potential for this board IMO unless you are in 7m conditions.

The Paipo seems similar in the sense that it is a Wood core directional shape but otherwise completely different. I have not ridden one but I'm curious what its like. If its more like a skim or a surf board and also if it is lighter than the DV8 and if so by how much?

I'm also interested in knowing how the Axis Wave (Formerly Underground) compares to the DV8 as it seems to be very similar. I know there are subtle differences but I don't know if they matter or not.

If someone has ridden or owns the Paipo and DV8 or the Wave and DV8 I'm very interested in hearing your comparison of the two. Also if you have the ability to weigh all 3 I think the results would be very interesting.

Cheers,
CJ

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Re: BR Maui Paipo vs Litewave DV8 vs Axis Wave

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi C Johnson,

I'm a dealer for both the Litewave DV8 and Axis New Wave and know these 2 boards quite well.

Hopefully this will help.

DV8 advantages:
Once up and moving well, you won't notice the weight of the DV8 and in some cases it actually helps. I can ride the DV8 with a 14m if it's solid wind and for sure down to ripping 6m and even 4m winds. I can do the same with the Axis New Wave, but the lightness will be felt if really overpowered. The ride is faster than people think. I've had guys say it feels slow, but when comparing next to another board, it's just as fast. It's kind of like a Cadillac. Smooth and solid. You can beat the crap out of this board and it will take it.

Axis New Wave advantages:
You can still ride this board in light, medium and strong winds with the right kite. If you are doing strapless jumps, it will be much easier on the New Wave due to the weight. The New Wave has a snub nose, so it rides a little longer. The New Wave feels snappier if pushed hard. I do a lot of strapless tacks transitions and the New Wave is easier to push/shove the board around while tacking.

Full recessed deck board advantages:
I've found that this style of board has a lot larger wind range. It has to do with the recessed deck and being closer to the water. Thicker and lighter boards will either be better for light and medium winds or medium and strong winds. Or differentiated on wave size, on shore, etc. So many variables.

Questions:

Have you been riding surf boards much? Is this your first tone? Strapless? Looking to do strapless airs?

If you have a good dealer, that's great. If not, contact me and I'd be glad to help. I'm currently out of stock on both boards, but can order if needed.

Take care and good luck.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River

Postby C Johnson » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:21 pm

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the info. I have the DV8 and plan on keeping it for a long time. I had a Wainman gambler before it and while it was a fun board it had almost no flex so it killed my knees and still weighed too much to really do much in the air with it.

I don't have a lot of experience with strapless riding. the DV8 is where I have progressed the most. At this point I have my jibes nailed, I got my first few duc tacks on my last session and I've been just overall having a blast playing around with riding the DV8 backwards trying to learn how to do kick flips and hand plant backroll transitions. However unless I am lit on a 9 or on a 7m the DV8 just doesn't want to get much more then a few feet off the water when I try to ollie.

As far as the conditions I ride in. Its rare I get a chance to ride actual waves since I ride in puget sound and hood river mostly so something that's fun to air out and excels in mushy swell and the occasional head high or smaller breakers is the conditions I'm trying to get into.

I think at this point I'm just looking at what else is out there that is strong, flexible and dedicated to strapless airs.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ed257 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:11 am

I wish the DV8 was offered in a 5'10" size.

Ed

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:12 am

C Johnson wrote:Hey Bob,

Thanks for the info. I have the DV8 and plan on keeping it for a long time. I had a Wainman gambler before it and while it was a fun board it had almost no flex so it killed my knees and still weighed too much to really do much in the air with it.

I don't have a lot of experience with strapless riding. the DV8 is where I have progressed the most. At this point I have my jibes nailed, I got my first few duc tacks on my last session and I've been just overall having a blast playing around with riding the DV8 backwards trying to learn how to do kick flips and hand plant backroll transitions. However unless I am lit on a 9 or on a 7m the DV8 just doesn't want to get much more then a few feet off the water when I try to ollie.

As far as the conditions I ride in. Its rare I get a chance to ride actual waves since I ride in puget sound and hood river mostly so something that's fun to air out and excels in mushy swell and the occasional head high or smaller breakers is the conditions I'm trying to get into.

I think at this point I'm just looking at what else is out there that is strong, flexible and dedicated to strapless airs.
What size is your DV8 and what is your weight?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:40 am

I have a paipo. Super fun board. It is not a traditional surfboard, but a lot of fun to play with. It is generally one of the boards that are in my car...I would say the board feels like a merge between a surfboard and a skim. I am not a fan of skim on the water (so far), but I am having a lot of fun on the paipo. I have not used it in bigger waves than headhigh and to be honest I think headhigh is about as big as I will go on it before I better on it. That wave is very pitchy...and I am having more fun in ankle snappers and maybe waist to shoulder high.

I like it a lot in flat water too...fun to mess around and learn tricks on. The board is light, but super strong.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby C Johnson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:31 pm

I have the 5'7" DV8 and weigh 210lbs
ed257 wrote:
C Johnson wrote:Hey Bob,

What size is your DV8 and what is your weight?

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby C Johnson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:32 pm

I had the chance to ride a Paipo this weekend in overpowered 7m flat water conditions.

Very fun little board. Much lighter and much more skatey than the DV8 but still easy to ride jib and jump. I think I need to find a way to add one of these to my quiver.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 pm

The BRM site says you can't buy the Paipo unless you are on Maui. Is that true or can you get someone to ship you one? Anyone know the price?

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 pm

C Johnson wrote:As far as the conditions I ride in. Its rare I get a chance to ride actual waves since I ride in puget sound and hood river mostly so something that's fun to air out and excels in mushy swell and the occasional head high or smaller breakers is the conditions I'm trying to get into.

I've been riding an Underground FreeWave since 2008. I use it in similar conditions at Sherman Isle. My style of riding is focused around strapless airs and I've been actively keeping an eye out for what else is available that has the properties that both you and I are looking for. So far my quest has led me most recently to these brands...
Airush (specifically the Active carbon models)
Amundson (specifically the Freestyle Wave)
Axis (specifically the New Wave)
Doyle (kite specific)
Stretch (kite specific)
J. Lewis (JL signature construction)

What I like is that all of these brands (with the exception of Airush and J. Lewis) are building their boards with PVC cores instead of EPS, XPS or PU. They also use other exotic materials in conjunction with the PVC to produce a thinner, lightweight board that has awesome flex and durability.
Note: J. Lewis's signature constructed boards use a thin EPS core that's wrapped with PVC, so their boards also have comparable benefits to full PVC core boards. ;-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”