Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Essaouira in December

Postby sijandy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:45 am

Going to Essaouira, Morocco in December for a couple of weeks and having never been before just thought i ask if anyone has any advice, tips, do's and don'ts etc? Secondly, is it worth trying to get down to Dakhla, i've heard it's a really long way to drive and the flights are too expensive but those lagoons and flat water do look amazing! Any flat water spots in/or near Essaouira? Cheers.

Mjyates
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hua Hin
Style: Conservative
Gear: Ozone Cabrinha

Re: Essaouira in December

Postby Mjyates » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:06 pm

Spent a month there in August. Strong gusty winds, small waves and quite choppy. Mostly a surf spot from what i saw. Had my TT but only rode it once or twice. Some flattish water on the South End of the beach near the river. Water was quite cold for me. Yousurfessaouira offers storage and facilities, nice friendly guys, located on the main beach. Watch out for all the locals, always trying to rip you off.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 am

Ok cheers, when you say the waters quite cold do you mean shorty summer suit or full winter suit?
Flights all booked up now so definetely going, do you have any recommendations for accomodation? If anyone has been during December before and has any tips/advice it would be greatly appreciated.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:00 am

Try Riad Zahra Essaouira
Pretty close to the beach nice rooms/food and friendly place.
We went a few years back in October and the winds were dropping off rapidly...it's way more consistant in the summer months june/july/aug....always difficult to find somewhere windy that time of year (unless long haul from the UK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bpbEFcah4c

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:11 am

windsuks wrote:....always difficult to find somewhere windy that time of year (unless long haul from the UK)
Yeh exactly, couldn't afford to go to far outside europe this year so in terms of wind it was a case of picking the best from a bad(pure luck) bunch. Can take 3 kites out of total of 4, 8/10/12/17, i'm thinking of taking 8/12/17, should pretty much cover it. If anyone knows of any decent/half decent flat water spots in or around essaouira then please let me know as were gonna hire a car to do some exploring. I know dahklas the place for flat water but think it's too far by car and can't afford the flights. cheers.

Return to “Kitesurfing”