Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ruben Lenten's Extract kite

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 am

Aya... I guess you didnt read the part that said 'get the height' !! And no you dont need a big wave to launch off - knee height ones work well, if i had a dollar for every time someone says 'you cant' ;)

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:26 am

I hear ya but no way someone mega loops a 12M unless they get one massive monster boost. A 12M is just too big to get back around in time to catch someone unless they get monster air.
...is that why i keep landing so f***ing heavy??? Not doing megaloops yet, probably boosting around 10-15ft and then cranking the bar hard but it's rare when i land and i don't feel like i've snapped both legs!! Mainly on a 10/12m rpm but been doing on a 17m as well ha.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:20 am

Yeah, no way you can megaloop a 12.

I thought I was getting mega loops on my 9m Fuel, I mostly wasn't as to jump high enough for the kite to make it the whole way round and to catch you while you are still 15-20ft up is REALLY tough.

Taking the 7m out and hucking the biggest boost you can and looping as you go up to get that real weightless feeling, now THAT is megalooping.

Seriously good fun,

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:14 am

I suppose it was you guys who also said a few years ago 'you cant kite or jump in 10 knots !! i fee

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:16 am

I feel a yawn coming on to go with the extra dollar ;)

Local Beach: st. joris bay
Favorite Beaches: klein curacao
Style: Strapless, freestyle, wakestyle
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Kite repair

Postby posty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:35 pm

edt wrote:
Tiago1973 wrote:err.. stupid question here - what´s exactly the difference between kiteloop and megaloop?..

i mean - when it stops being a kiteloop and starts being a megaloop?
in a megaloop the kite yanks you, and then you free fall, while the kite zooms back up to the top of the wind window, and if your kite reaches the top in time, it will catch you. If it's not fast enough you slam and break a rib. In a low kiteloop you are never more than 10 feet above the water so when you drop it's just a regular landing, the kiteloop never has to completely finish. If you want to do a jesus walk or darkslide you need to master the low kiteloop first. In a helicopter loop, the kite just spins above you. Helicopter loops are useful in doing transitions. Low or helicopter loops can be done in any amount of wind, but megaloops require enough wind to for the kite to complete an entire circle while you are in the air and get enough height that it finishes in time to catch you.

They are all kiteloops tho, megaloop low kiteloop and helicopter loop. There's also a surface kiteloop, you do a surface kiteloop in order to do a water start or on a surfboard for various reasons
30 feet is what i call a mega loop!
(not that i can do it)

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Tiago1973 wrote:err.. stupid question here - what´s exactly the difference between kiteloop and megaloop?..

i mean - when it stops being a kiteloop and starts being a megaloop?
It's a kiteloop when your friends see it. It's a megaloop when know one notices .One of the most overused wannabe phrases. "dude did you see me out there?" "Yea man, nice 5' jump with a loop, keep working on it and maybe you'll get that kite around before you land" Later- "dude did you see me out there?" " no". " I pulled off a sweet 25' megaloop , I'm such a hard charger man,can't believe you missed it" :lol: :duh:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:12 pm

posty wrote: 30 feet is what i call a mega loop!
(not that i can do it)

To me it's not the height but how the kite acts that makes it a megaloop. So you can jump 30 feet in height on a 12 meter in 25 knots and then if you wait until slightly after the top of the jump to start your loop, the kite won't have any power, and it will helicopter, there won't be any yank. Or it can be blowing 30 knots and you are out on the 5 meter, and you get about 15 feet in height, but you start looping almost as soon as you leave the water, the kite does a complete turn and yanks you straight downwind so hard you think your lines will snap. Even though the second jump is only 15 feet in height it is much more intense and is more styling than a 30 foot jump with a helicopter kiteloop. You also have to remember that if you do a megaloop you won't reach maximum height. There is only so much energy in the kite, if you use some of it up to get that sideways yank, you won't be able to jump as high.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Kite2Heaven wrote:Aya... I guess you didnt read the part that said 'get the height' !! And no you dont need a big wave to launch off - knee height ones work well, if i had a dollar for every time someone says 'you cant' ;)
I still want to see a video of someone doing a mega loop on a 12M kite. Your original statement was that it was 'common' for people to throw mega loops on 12M kites. We simply disagree.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Agreed. I don't really think you can truly megaloop a 10m. 8m or smaller is where it's at. If you ever have done a big loop where your kite gets even with you while you are 30 feet up it's scary and exhilarating, the free fall after the initial yank is just insane and you really hope to get the kite up above you. Doing these is akin to jumping off a high dive the first time, but the bigger you go and the smaller the kite the better off you are. That being said certain kites are better than others for example, I was really lucky I didn't hurt my knee when looping a Rebel a few years back as that kite tends to stall at the bottom of the loop.

What's unbelievable is the guys that go unhooked and do a handle pass the kite passes through the bottom of a megaloop. That sh!t takes some serious cajones. Richman, Lenten, Hadlow are all bad ass. I wonder how many times you have to get drilled hard to learn a megaloop handle pass...

Return to “Kitesurfing”