Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Velocity 18 vs Edge 19?

Postby Guttorm » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:19 am

Velocity 18 and Edge 19, is there somone that has tried bouth?
For light and gusty conditions wich is the best old school performer for heavy riders?
Last edited by Guttorm on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

lander
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Velocity 18 vs Dyno 19?

Postby lander » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 am

As I remember there is no Dyno 19...

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Re: Velocity 18 vs Dyno 19?

Postby Guttorm » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:57 am

lander wrote:As I remember there is no Dyno 19...
Sorry I ment Edge 19 :P

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Velocity 18 vs Edge 19?

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:09 pm

I wanna know too!
I heard the new Contra is even better or Airstyle?
Anyone who tried?

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:52 pm

Have not tried the mentioned sizes, but I have Edge 17,11 and Velocity 13 and Draft in 14 and 12.

Must say I am really impressed by the stability of the edge 17. Even in the lightest wind is just stay in the air. It has a very precise barfeel and is just overall a really nice kite.

The Velocity has a pulley on the backline attachment. This was weird for me, so I put it out of fuction. The bridle is longer than the Edge and Draft, and the LE on the 13 Velocity is thicker than the 17 edge. Overall also a very nice kite, but think I would prefere the edge because of a bit bigger windrange. Especially in the high end area. The Velocity might have a better low end. I also have Edge in 11 but this is not as stable as the 17. Also when looping it has a stalling tendency.

I know you did not ask about the Draft, but as this is really a surprisingly good kite, you should have in mind for jumping/racing as well. I would place it between the Edge and Velocity in both handling and performance. But most of all the durability just feels so much more solid. I believe it weight more, but you dont feel that in the air. The barfeel is very precise and the bridle is just as short as the Edge where Velocity has a bit longer bridle system.

Going back to the brands you mentioned. I would say that my edge 17 is overall "nicer" to fly than my Velocity 14 due to its superior handling, upwind ability and windrange. So I would believe the same for the 18 vs 19

sashabogi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Naples, FL 18th Ave S.
Gear: EH Rippehrs, EH Ovando & Naish Cult

Postby sashabogi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:27 pm

I flew both and have to say that the Edge 19 is the closest kite to Speed 3 21 when it comes to pure power, upwind drive and hang time. But it turns way faster even compared to the 17 Edge. I flew 19 and the 17 last Saturday and was completely blown away by the 19.

I flew the Velocity 18 about 3-4 weeks ago and at that time my references were Speed 3 21 and Edge 17. Velocity is as slow as the Speed 3 but with much much higher bar pressure. It has great hang time and float, but that is to be expected due to the pure size and shape of these race kites. It has more power then Edge 17 but in the wrong direction, downwind... Edge 17 goes upwind a lot better that Velocity. Speed 3 is the king when it comes to upwind angle. Edge 19 is as close as you can get to Speed 3.

I would pick Edge 19 over Velocity or the Speed 3. My local buddies and I have been waiting for the new speeds to come out in big sizes for a while now, after flying the 19 it seems it is not necessary.

I also flew the Infinity many times and yes it stays in the air in very light wind but also sits super deep in the wind window that it makes it almost impossible to go upwind in light and marginal winds. It is a great leg burning machine if you are into that kind of stuff or you want to practice wake style tricks in light wind and then walk up the beach.

I am 6'2" 255 lbs dude and have flown just about every large kite out there I could get my hands on, I didn't realize what makes a great light wind kite until I flew Speed 3's and finally Edges. These kites are super tuned efficient wings and that is what differentiates them from all other kites.
The "Power" or the pull from the kite is a very misused and misunderstood concept, I realized that it's not about the raw power, it's about efficiency especially if you are a large guy. I don't care if the kite pulls hard if I can't go upwind with it.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:28 am

sashabogi wrote:I flew both and have to say that the Edge 19 is the closest kite to Speed 3 21 when it comes to pure power, upwind drive and hang time. But it turns way faster even compared to the 17 Edge. I flew 19 and the 17 last Saturday and was completely blown away by the 19.

I flew the Velocity 18 about 3-4 weeks ago and at that time my references were Speed 3 21 and Edge 17. Velocity is as slow as the Speed 3 but with much much higher bar pressure. It has great hang time and float, but that is to be expected due to the pure size and shape of these race kites. It has more power then Edge 17 but in the wrong direction, downwind... Edge 17 goes upwind a lot better that Velocity. Speed 3 is the king when it comes to upwind angle. Edge 19 is as close as you can get to Speed 3.

I would pick Edge 19 over Velocity or the Speed 3. My local buddies and I have been waiting for the new speeds to come out in big sizes for a while now, after flying the 19 it seems it is not necessary.

I also flew the Infinity many times and yes it stays in the air in very light wind but also sits super deep in the wind window that it makes it almost impossible to go upwind in light and marginal winds. It is a great leg burning machine if you are into that kind of stuff or you want to practice wake style tricks in light wind and then walk up the beach.

I am 6'2" 255 lbs dude and have flown just about every large kite out there I could get my hands on, I didn't realize what makes a great light wind kite until I flew Speed 3's and finally Edges. These kites are super tuned efficient wings and that is what differentiates them from all other kites.
The "Power" or the pull from the kite is a very misused and misunderstood concept, I realized that it's not about the raw power, it's about efficiency especially if you are a large guy. I don't care if the kite pulls hard if I can't go upwind with it.
Interesting, thanks. How many pumps to fill the Edge 19?

:naughty:

sashabogi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Naples, FL 18th Ave S.
Gear: EH Rippehrs, EH Ovando & Naish Cult

Postby sashabogi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:02 am

Kamikuza wrote:
sashabogi wrote:I flew both and have to say that the Edge 19 is the closest kite to Speed 3 21 when it comes to pure power, upwind drive and hang time. But it turns way faster even compared to the 17 Edge. I flew 19 and the 17 last Saturday and was completely blown away by the 19.

Interesting, thanks. How many pumps to fill the Edge 19?

:naughty:
I am not sure to be honest, but nothing out of extraordinary for a large kite.

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:34 am

How is the Edge 19 for jumping? And have you tried it with different line lengts? What lengts do you belive is best for jumping?

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:03 am

2 Shay about LEG BURNIN Kites. A Blue Tarp from Lowes will do the same. Great Bus Catchers for Downwinders!!!!

:housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday:

Return to “Kitesurfing”