Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

New board from Ocean Rodeo... Origin 142x47

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:46 pm

http://oceanrodeo.com/products/origin

Well my Origin arrived last week. Had 4 sessions on it, on the lake and once on the ocean.

Absolutely fantastic board for me! I've used it today under-powered on my 13m in 10-15 knots, and last week in 30-40 on a 7m :o so I think I got a good feel of the range...

Does everything well! :thumb:
Smooth ride through chop - even with 40 knots whipping the lake up, or bouncing over breakers at the beach.
Doesn't splash or squirt me in the face, or spray against my back-leg and slow me down. Important for me :D
Range is fantastic. Gets close to the Flydoor at the bottom end (it's almost as wide as the Flydoor2) and feels good to the top end of the kite. I could always edge against the kite, never got the run-away-train feeling like you can on a 'door and over-powered kite.
Pops well, even though it feels soft under foot. Often surprised by how far off the water I am!
Great price! $499, pads'n'straps included.
Pads are good on landings; soft and grippy. Not a huge fan of the straps... but that's a personal preference. I'm getting used to them slowly though...
Carves on "waves" ok but measuring up to the Mako is a tall order.

So, it's a great all-round free-ride board! I like it more, every time I ride it :D

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .
Been thanked: 0

Re: New board from Ocean Rodeo... Origin 142x47

Postby tommeltot » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Nice honest review of this new board. Interesting to hear its all-round capabilities. For me? Not right now as I'm a Mako convert but definately going to sing its virtues to a novice from work. This Ocean Rodeo board coupled with their Prodigy kite makes for a quality and very capable first ride combo and at reasonable price to boot!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:39 am

Mako carves like a razor but the Origin is easier to ride around doing whatever. For the price too, it's excellent.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby ed257 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Is the Origin targeted as a light-wind board that is actually fun and can handle chop, or a beginner board? How early does it plane? The price is nice.

I wonder how it compares with the Epic Oxygen, which is 135 x 47 cm?

Ed

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:36 pm

ed257 wrote:Is the Origin targeted as a light-wind board that is actually fun and can handle chop, or a beginner board? How early does it plane? The price is nice.

I wonder how it compares with the Epic Oxygen, which is 135 x 47 cm?

Ed
From the OR website
Ocean Rodeo wrote:Origin
The start of something good...

The Origin is an agile, practical twinny built around a superior 142x47 shape with swept 33cm tips giving it a prime progression template.

Recognising that many riders rack up a lot of kiteboarding hours in choppy water, we developed the Origin to track, grip, go easy on the knees, shoot upwind and load up for a big boost in ‘real world’ conditions.

Schools will get a kick out of the rapid progression the Origin promotes (and its playful feel during those instructor demos!) whilst independent riders will love how this board always brings something fun to the session whether you’re slashing up waves, running downwind with your friends, going huge or just cruising your local spot. Built tough with ABS side walls and a blended wood core, this board is made for the journey!

The Origin offers incredible value as an affordable board you will not outgrow.

Easy planing
Learn to ride upwind easily
Cruise and pop
Go Joe compatible
Planes early. I don't think I lose that much bottom end compared to my Doors... there's a lot more overlap now. The Dialer and the Origin make a good combo - change boards, don't have to pump a new kite :D

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:45 pm

It looks most interesting, I want something more fun to ride than my Glide when the water is not flat and there is not enough for my wind for the Rap Pro Ltd. I will need to investigate further at my local OR Store........

[/quote]

Planes early. I don't think I lose that much bottom end compared to my Doors... there's a lot more overlap now. The Dialer and the Origin make a good combo - change boards, don't have to pump a new kite :D[/quote]

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:44 pm

ed257 wrote:Is the Origin targeted as a light-wind board that is actually fun and can handle chop, or a beginner board? How early does it plane? The price is nice.
Ed, to be clear - the Origin is not a "light wind" board. There is too much rocker in the board to be a true light wind weapon.

However, it does plane up very quickly and is a very fun and nimble board given it's size (this is due to the tapered width at tip and tail only being 33cm). As such, it is a great option for someone to use in lighter wind conditions but was built by us as a progression board for riders. Specifically, we built it to be an inexpensive entry level board that will stand up to a ton of abuse and which will continue to be a very enjoyable board to ride well into your kiting career.

John Z - OR

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:49 am

ORSales wrote:Ed, to be clear - the Origin is not a "light wind" board.
Go on, get away with you :lol:

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby ed257 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

ORSales wrote:
Ed, to be clear - the Origin is not a "light wind" board. There is too much rocker in the board to be a true light wind weapon.

However, it does plane up very quickly and is a very fun and nimble board given it's size (this is due to the tapered width at tip and tail only being 33cm). As such, it is a great option for someone to use in lighter wind conditions but was built by us as a progression board for riders. Specifically, we built it to be an inexpensive entry level board that will stand up to a ton of abuse and which will continue to be a very enjoyable board to ride well into your kiting career.

John Z - OR
I am looking for a lighter wind board to compliment my shinn monk that is fun to ride, not harsh in the chop and that you can jump, carve, slash etc but that does no lose much in low end compared to a door.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Ed, I'd say it would be perfect for you then. It handles light wind quite well, as Kamikuza says! It's just not a "dedicated" light wind board but by the sounds of it that's a good thing as most true light wind boards are really not a lot of fun to ride.

Return to “Reviews”