Forum for kitesurfers
kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2014 North Line Up

Postby kitegrommet » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:12 am

Like I said, brand new in the bag 2013 9M for sale. What sucks for me, I was torn between Evo and Fuse. The new Evo appears to be between the 2 kites.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:12 am

Westozzy wrote:Well yes it has sliders, no pulleys, but same same.

Nope I haven't felt any particular delay. And I have come off the no pulley ozone kites. Still ride the zephyr as that's a magic kite. The rebel is far more spongy in my mind. I suppose there is that bridal lag slightly but nothing noticeable really. Smoothest north kite I have flown, its like a north with that Airush smoothness....

Only on the front lines though, the back are direct. Just to clarify.

hotracer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 73
Local Beach: Heaven Beach Estepona, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Mui Ne
Style: Strapped surfing
Gear: Neo SLS 7 and 9
Proseries 5'11
Click bar

Postby hotracer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:21 am

Hi
Has anybody noticed the big crease lines that come up on the rebel 2014´s in the canopy at the end of the struts? Not a big thing as the kite still flies great!

j0nes
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Windfinder.com

Postby j0nes » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:37 am

hotracer wrote:Hi
Has anybody noticed the big crease lines that come up on the rebel 2014´s in the canopy at the end of the struts? Not a big thing as the kite still flies great!
Yes, same for me on my 12sqm. However you can also see these lines in the original North products shots:

I am not sure if this affects the flying behaviour in any way, but I have to admit it looks strange.

Babel
Medium Poster

Postby Babel » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:46 pm

hotracer wrote:Hi
Yes, I have the same issues on the 9m Rebel 2014. It actually does look like something is wrong.

Another issue: Did anyone also have water in between the fabric at the TE Force Spread part after relaunching? Its really hard to dry, and takes about 24h. On the lighter part of the kite it looks like the darker part kind of discolored the lighter color. I wonder if it starts molding at some point :(

Over all I am getting more and more frustrated with the once awesome quality of north kiteboarding.

calikites
Frequent Poster
Gear: All of the gear

Postby calikites » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:43 am

We just got our first shipment of Dice! Please come by and try one for yourself.

Brian
Attachments
IMG_20131016_134328045.jpg

windmlv
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Gordon's beach, LaVentana, Baja
Gear: Slingshot Hypermiler 4'8", Moses 633, Naish Slash 7m

Postby windmlv » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:38 pm

Some thoughts after a few sessions on the 2014 Rebel 7m and 9m.
I was not overly excited about the large inflation valve but now think it is okay. Sure inflates fast.
I mainly ride a surfboard in swells, not down the line, not unhooked.
This is my fourth year on Rebels. Think this may be the best year for Rebels yet.
The low end is definitely back and it seems to turn with less input from the bar.
Simply smooth, no fuss, no muss.
When I don't have to look at the kite once in a session and I have a big smile on my face when I come in, I am happy.
The kite does what it is supposed to do and I do my thing on the swells.
m

windmlv
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Gordon's beach, LaVentana, Baja
Gear: Slingshot Hypermiler 4'8", Moses 633, Naish Slash 7m

Postby windmlv » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:57 pm

Just in from a couple of hours on the Rebel 7m and surfboard.
Okay, I have decided for me 2014 is definitely the best year for the Rebels.
2 hours of kiting bliss. Didn't have to think about the kite, just watching and catching the swells at the right moment.
Maybe I am lazy but It is awfully nice just to just check the new bar/lines/kite, hook up and go.
No worrying about which knot, which setting etc. to use. Straight out of the bag, attach and go kiting.
And yes, the large inflation valve is "slowly" winning me over.

stephduche
Rare Poster
Local Beach: gilgo, ny

Postby stephduche » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:14 pm

Westozzy wrote:Well yes it has sliders, no pulleys, but same same.

Nope I haven't felt any particular delay. And I have come off the no pulley ozone kites. Still ride the zephyr as that's a magic kite. The rebel is far more spongy in my mind. I suppose there is that bridal lag slightly but nothing noticeable really. Smoothest north kite I have flown, its like a north with that Airush smoothness....
Westozzy: why did you "come off the no pulley ozone kites"? I am in the market to replace my 2010 12m Fuse and i'm looking for a wave kite, with direct fell and good drift etc. I was looking at the Dice, but also the Ozone Reo.
thks

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:53 pm

Because no pulleys doesn't mean 'better', it seems though this is the 'thing' at the moment. There is more to a kites performance than just pulleys or no pulleys.

I went to the dice because I myself and the crew I kite with have both wave and flat water spots within 5 minutes of each other...essentially live on an island separated by two bridges with ocean on one side and estuary on the other. Hence we throw down some freestyle stuff and also we get serious wave action here, where you need a really good wave kite. We also like a bit of unhooking and also old school air and tricks etc. the dice was a perfect fit. Didn't give a shit about pulleys or no pulleys.

That being said some good reviews coming out about the new REO and the new catalyst actually. I should be on them soon, maybe this Sunday. So can't comment now. The REO by the sounds of it could pip the dice in the waves, but how good would it be on the flat...not great.

The catalyst ...well I just found the dice did everything better, especially in the waves. But we will see what the next gen has done.

But I'm stoked on the dice, we all are and will be sticking to them for this season and then see what comes up.

If waves is your only thing, then compare the Neo and the REO I'd say. But for me the slight better performance you might get on a REO, Well the dice does it as good as I need and better. It is exceptional in the waves hey.

Return to “Kitesurfing”