Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best right-hand surf breaks for kiting?

Forum for kitesurfers
prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best right-hand surf breaks for kiting?

Postby prayfawind27 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:19 am

Why not just learn how to ride and master your weak side?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
vkngktr wrote:What's wrong with riding backside?
A lot....

Looks geeky, feels bad, and not possible to transfer the same power, nor do aerials as good/tweaked :(

Peter

That is a funny statement from a guy who is always railing against the strapless zelots for voicing much the same kind of argument.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
vkngktr wrote:What's wrong with riding backside?
A lot....

Looks geeky, feels bad, and not possible to transfer the same power, nor do aerials as good/tweaked :(

For the occasional "variation" so it is not the same over and over, changing to backside now and then is awesome, but IMO not good, when waves are the best :rollgrin:

We always change side here, according to winddirection - I've heard of some who only rides on one side, thus they have to ride backside in opposite wind directions :(
Not good, nor practical IMO :roll:

I have an idea why this is, historically - but a slightly different topic I think.

8) Peter
Okay, sorry if the answer was meant a bit as a counterweight and provocative :naughty:
(too short in other words...)

Just an opinion, but let me explain (since it apparently has stirred so many up)

98% if all kitesurfers are most likely NOT able to make backside cutbacks aggressive/radical at all...
It does not matter, if you dont care what it looks like (and this should be the main motivation, that it feels good - although you also see some wearing shorts outside on their wetsuits...)

So the videos many shows, are not what YOU look like, and are able to, backside.

The very best kitesurfers, can ride with a blindfold on a toiletdoor, and make it look awesome :naughty:

I am NOT saying that frontside is better than backside :-?

But riding only one side, is IMO the worst - and looks geeky as said, for those 98%, when going backside.
And riding only frontside, gets dull, both for yourself and others watching (the same goes for backside), eventhough much more radical and impressive at first look (easy ?).

So VARIATION is the key word here.

Riding backside a lot, and mixing up with some frontside now and then - for the best riders.
And riding frontside, and mixing up with some backside now and then - for all us mortals.

Comparing surfing and wavekitesurfing is IMO the worst you can do - it is two different worlds.

And trying to emulate surfing is a shame, and put wavekitesurfing down to being a secondary "wannabee" copy sport :(
Where I find it is a different sport, a new sport, with a lot more options and possibilites - and would never ever think of kitesurfing as an "inferior" sport because of this, but another sport with a huge amount of new aspects, and very different :thumb:

I look like a geek, whatever I do though....

I've been surfing for almost 30 years.
And I can only ride regular when on a surfboard, yes, I admit...
But on a kitesurf waveboard, it is a totally different ballgame - and both sides work :rollgrin:

I think that those who has only surfed, have difficulties riding switch.
Those who has only windsurfed, are natural at this.

And when doing both, you never know what will come out of it :lol:

8) Peter

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:52 pm

I am blessed with lefts here... suits this goofy weirdo.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 pm

I lived with 6 life-guards in San Diego , and bet i'm one of
a hand-full that have surfed (Ralph's) on a consistent basis.
Only the locals know where i'm talking about, but plan to make
it one of my first destinations next spring.
Boat access Only , & i got the Perfect one !!

Bille

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:30 am

I know the original poster here and have traveled extensively to many great wave spot and have enjoyed all the backside riding. Its not about how good you are or how hard you can go switch its just a for real question about where to travel next and maybe for once get it on your strong side. Love all waves and can master them backside not so much switch. San Carlos sounds like a great option but really don't see spending a long time there.

mikeysfl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mikeysfl » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Klein curacao, dutch caribbean. November through march you have a few north swells that light up the long perfect right hander.
Attachments
image.jpg

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:47 am

Backside attack can be more vertical especially if you surfed before you kited or simple learn to ride switch and make it your frontside, it is easier than you think. Only takes a few sessions and you learn to change your weight distribution on your feet and now you have 2 frontsides simple.

donchin
Frequent Poster

Postby donchin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:37 am

Jbrook wrote:Backside attack can be more vertical especially if you surfed before you kited or simple learn to ride switch and make it your frontside, it is easier than you think. Only takes a few sessions and you learn to change your weight distribution on your feet and now you have 2 frontsides simple.
if I understand you correctly, I disagree. Riding a wave switch stand is very difficult. Doing an off the lip going regular when your stands is goofy, is almost impossible. Very few surfers are able to do this.

Riding a right wave front side when your stance is goofy, in my case......wouldn't work.

rowboat
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco @ Crissy Field
Favorite Beaches: NE Brazil w/ SurfinSemFim
Style: strapless foilboard & surfboard
Gear: Boardriding Maui Cloud D kites
Alpinefoil Titanium foil + Wave wing + FS-1 and custom 0-volume foil board
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for SurfinSemFim, Boardriding Maui & Alpinefoil

Postby rowboat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:36 am

Thx stefaans. Exactly. I didn't say that I can't ride backside - in fact sometimes I even prefer it - imagine that! I was just looking for a little brainstorming about righthanders. Thx to those of you who replied on that. Another friend of mine also pointed out that the Marshall Islands have sick rights - and there are boat trips there :)

Some of y'all sure are a bitter bunch sometimes. Enjoy that!
stefaans wrote:I know the original poster here and have traveled extensively to many great wave spot and have enjoyed all the backside riding. Its not about how good you are or how hard you can go switch its just a for real question about where to travel next and maybe for once get it on your strong side. Love all waves and can master them backside not so much switch. San Carlos sounds like a great option but really don't see spending a long time there.

Return to “Kitesurfing”