Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bar sizes and compatibility?

Postby MACTNKA » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:47 am

Hey guys, I recently bought a full Core kite quiver including a gts2 8m, Riot XR2 11m and a Riot XR2 LW 17m kites and a one size fits all sensor bar. Although i love the whole quiver I am curious if i could super charge my 17 with a bigger bar since the sensor is only 52cm long. Have you tried any longer sizes bars on smaller kites andwhat would you recommend?

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Re: Bar sizes and compatibility?

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:33 am

Truth be known.... 52cm ...because of the special bar design ....makes the 17 & 19 charged just right

Put your XR2 on superfast turning on wingtip setting....
...and lowest bar pressure setting on the leading edge

Have fun :cheers:

MACTNKA
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Nantucket
Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon

Postby MACTNKA » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:48 am

I have it on heavy bar pressure and super fast. I'll change it and see. Have you tried other bars with core though?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:07 am

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:31 pm

I understand that in that video, several ounces of sand are poured into the QR but who really does that? Who ever made that film should have spent their time sanding up their gear in a realistic manner and done 20+ QR tests. I'd have to drag my bar over the sand dunes to try to collect that much sand in my QR. Supa, you launch on the beach a lot, does your QR freeze up? Any learning should have been told by an instructor or figured out for themselves that it would be a good idea to dunk your system in the water to free any sand if you rig on the beach. The Manufacturer's disclaimer (many brands) probably even mention it when it comes to their kites, bars, pulleys, Chicken loops and harnesses.

Thanks for pointing out that I can really reduce the effectiveness of my QR if I bury it in the sand like treasure. X marks the spot!

Stoked you got a new quiver dude! I really enjoyed flying those kites that Brett and 321kiteboarding demoed. The 17 and 19, man those can really increase your kiteable days!

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:18 pm

MACTNKA wrote:Have you tried other bars with core though?
No i did not
Not sure if going 55...58...60cm wide of a bar would really help...sometimes it just don't
At 52cm when you turn kite hard it does not overslack the other line...and that is an important factor
With bar too wide the possibility of warping the kite in hard turns or sines is detrimental

I guess the more you go out w/17 and practice in light wind the more you will find it to be just right

:cheers:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:36 pm

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote: Supa, you launch on the beach a lot, does your QR freeze up?
I really enjoyed flying those kites that Brett and 321kiteboarding demoed. The 17 and 19, man those can really increase your kiteable days!
Yes Supa is at beach a lot and no QR freeze up
Very careful with bar and QR when i put bar on sand when i rig kite and QR is dry
Very careful with bar when i self-land not to get any sand in or on the wet QR

Once the kite falls LE down at self-landing i walk to the kite with QR still on my hook .....
....then i detach myself and put the whole bar on the kite canopy

Walk back to my surfboard to go get it then put it on sand deck up about 15 feet from kite
Go to the kite to get bar that is clean...wind lines around the bar a bit..and put on top of board

Throughout the whole process of deflating and packing down to wet QR remains clean of any sand

By the time i go out again next time or next day i have a totally clean QR...and i like that :wink:
The video is correct...you can pack it with dry sand...wet sand and the QR will twist and work

:cheers:

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:54 am

Had a QR issue when trying to reset on a demo kite a friend had, bar dragged through wet n dry sand..
The pin had rolled back up in the twist housing - and jammed itself flush with the QR body, no amount of water or banging against a wood pole would shake it loose.
A bit of packing tape helped to pull it out.
The Fix - file 1.5mm off the pin, so it doesnt touch the housing body and can drop bsck out - to reset :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”