Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Allarounder for waves and wakestyle, which would you get?

Forum for kitesurfers
Motion
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Allarounder for waves and wakestyle, which would you get

Postby Motion » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:16 am

Oldnbroken wrote:
windrt wrote:Checked the Prime yesterday and I think it's not my kite.
Hopefully I'm testing the Mist this weekend.
Prime 2011 & 2012 were very different kites from the 2013.
2011 & 2012 got fantastic reviews and the 2013 Prime did not.
The Mist looks like a move toward a Vegas.
2013 is still fantastic kite, it is just more focused on unhooked peformance. Wich is kind of expected since they made triggers more boosty. Also 11 and 13 jump very good. It is 9m that does not have much lift overhead.

windrt
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Kite + Board + rest of stuff you normally use.

Postby windrt » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:18 pm

I was on 2013 Prime, really nice and solid but felt strange coming from the RPM , little too heavy and slow for a C shaped 9m kite ,perhaps it only was a setting matter.

Varial X looks like a good option too, but high aspect kite? Looks like an open C to me?

I'm off to the beach to test the mist9 right now. I let you know tonight.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:44 pm

windrt wrote:I was on 2013 Prime, really nice and solid but felt strange coming from the RPM , little too heavy and slow for a C shaped 9m kite ,perhaps it only was a setting matter.

Varial X looks like a good option too, but high aspect kite? Looks like an open C to me?

It has a HIGHER aspect ratio which means it is skinnier. The shape of the kite has nothing to do with it!

Motion
Frequent Poster

Postby Motion » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:45 pm

windrt wrote:I was on 2013 Prime, really nice and solid but felt strange coming from the RPM , little too heavy and slow for a C shaped 9m kite ,perhaps it only was a setting matter.

Hmm never rode RPM,but i would actually prefer 9m prime to be a bit slower and and heavier on the bar for unhooking.
i'm looking foward for comparison between mist and prime. :roll: Hopefully i will be able to try mist my self soon.

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:10 pm

The TS is a good kite, great in the waves and air, and very stable, but does not slack. Bin riding it along the GP since the Taboo. That one was way better for HP, had tons of slack and also manage wave riding well.
Why not look at the Naish Park or the North Dice?

KAWIKA
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Switch don't get payed by Switch luv the kites & price

Postby KAWIKA » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:57 pm

There is a better option for a all-around kite in price, quality & performance
http://youtu.be/x9t3k_yRkgs :thumb:

windrt
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Kite + Board + rest of stuff you normally use.

Postby windrt » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:12 pm

No good North deal around so I don't even bother testing.

I've ridden the Mist 9 today and really liked it! It's fast but stable, responsive but smooth, the power delivery is much smoother than the trigger. The wind was not too strong, but I still could unhook with the 9 while a friend was on his Bandit6 12m. Fast turning and powerfull though turns, very efficeint.
I was not too concerned about the high end (I've seen the 9m prime on 20m lines with 40knots and unhooking) so I was more worried about the lowend, specially riding boots and a wakestyle board, but there is a sweet spot where you set the kite and it pulls really solid. Nice unhook, the kite sits where you left it and slacks out nice.
Light bar feel, way litghter than the Prime with a quick response to input, totally different kite. (IMO)
The bar looks much better this year, it's got a nice stopper this year (my RPM's one was not stopping anything) and they got rid of that ugly cheap chome bar parts, and a new swivel to untwist the lines. Way better than the ones I know (Naish, SlingShot, etc).
Threw some loops, although I'm not very on to kiteloops, looked fine and smooth too.
Still pending to check with the surf board, I belive the trigger may be little better on that side, from what I felt the kite doesn't drift as well as my RPM, but at least it doesn't fall down, and stays in the air waiting for you to move it. I think I will make it work in waves as it's soo fast, direct and responsive.
The colours and details are really nice too, maybe the shape is kinda ugly with that wingtips, but it simply works.
No backstall, no wobbing or any other funny stories. Nice, solid and sprecially smooth and direct kite.

I'm not a very experieced kiter, so I belive my opinion is not too worthy, I guess each one should check himself.

Ah, the bag is nice too, Bar bag + Bar Pocket and two pockets more for smaller suff in front, solid and strong backpack.

Still pending to check the Varial X but I'd say the Mist is my favourite so far. I'll love it for unhooking and surely will enjoy it for surfing too.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:10 am

Sounds very much like the 2012 Prime, which I like a lot better than the Trigger.

Motion
Frequent Poster

Postby Motion » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:39 pm

windrt wrote:No good North deal around so I don't even bother testing.

I've ridden the Mist 9 today and really liked it! It's fast but stable, responsive but smooth, the power delivery is much smoother than the trigger. The wind was not too strong, but I still could unhook with the 9 while a friend was on his Bandit6 12m. Fast turning and powerfull though turns, very efficeint.
I was not too concerned about the high end (I've seen the 9m prime on 20m lines with 40knots and unhooking) so I was more worried about the lowend, specially riding boots and a wakestyle board, but there is a sweet spot where you set the kite and it pulls really solid. Nice unhook, the kite sits where you left it and slacks out nice.
Light bar feel, way litghter than the Prime with a quick response to input, totally different kite. (IMO)
The bar looks much better this year, it's got a nice stopper this year (my RPM's one was not stopping anything) and they got rid of that ugly cheap chome bar parts, and a new swivel to untwist the lines. Way better than the ones I know (Naish, SlingShot, etc).
Threw some loops, although I'm not very on to kiteloops, looked fine and smooth too.
Still pending to check with the surf board, I belive the trigger may be little better on that side, from what I felt the kite doesn't drift as well as my RPM, but at least it doesn't fall down, and stays in the air waiting for you to move it. I think I will make it work in waves as it's soo fast, direct and responsive.
The colours and details are really nice too, maybe the shape is kinda ugly with that wingtips, but it simply works.
No backstall, no wobbing or any other funny stories. Nice, solid and sprecially smooth and direct kite.

I'm not a very experieced kiter, so I belive my opinion is not too worthy, I guess each one should check himself.

Ah, the bag is nice too, Bar bag + Bar Pocket and two pockets more for smaller suff in front, solid and strong backpack.

Still pending to check the Varial X but I'd say the Mist is my favourite so far. I'll love it for unhooking and surely will enjoy it for surfing too.
How is the pop and the slack compared to Prime? Also how is low end? Did the made mist more grunty?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Windrt - the kite (of the mentioned) with the most depower is the best wavekite :thumb:

It seems you hover around its wakestyle capabilities, as this is what you do the most.

Many like a kite with a steady pull (low end), and no backstalling, and 5 lines - for wakestyle it seems.

Almost the opposite is needed for a wavekite - where you want a kite with max powerdump (no low end), and still able to control/steer the kite, and 4 lines :naughty:

So it is a difficult choice IMO, as two very opposite kite types.

On the other hand - if you are normal "medium" weight or lighter, a 9m2 is a light wind kite (in waves), where depower is not that critical - thus you can just go with the free/wakestyle kite you feel is best - and it will work great in waves too.

For medium wave kite sizes, 6-8m2, it is more difficult to please both styles :roll:

And for small wavekites, 4-6m2, it is even more of a black and white difference.

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”