Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Best all around kites

Postby darippah » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Looking for something that does it all. Boost/airstyle, waves, unhooked loops, for intermediate rider. Looking for the 11m range- used for a few years, and preferably compatible with best 55cm bar . I know there are many opinions and i know ill have to sacrifice from each to get a little bit of all. Maybe im asking for the inpossible ? :)

MACTNKA
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Nantucket
Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best all around kites

Postby MACTNKA » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Your requirements perfectly describe the Core GTS2. Whether or not it will work with a best bar I dont't know. What I do know is that I love my 11mXR2 for all of the above including light wind. Testing the low end I got down to 12mph and i was still able to go upwind, do small jumps and have fun on a twintip(I weigh 175 ponds). The kite is a great booster, loops easy, very responsive and predictable. Now the GTS2 is all of that but supercharged. I couldn't recommend it enough! If i were I would call and ask 321 if they are compatible with your bar and see if you can test it. Good luck.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:47 pm

You're going to get a lot of feedback. This as everyone will say their kite is the best...like me. The 11 Renegade is awesome. Lots of low end grunt, very stable, forgiving for newer riders, loves waves and wake style. Fast through the turns, near auto relaunch. You won't have to sacrifice anything. The renegade does to all... And does it all really really well. Bar pressure is there but not heavy. A very predictable kite that grows with you.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Any of the current three strut designs

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:48 am

wow...an intermediate rider who limits themselves with a 55cm bar...that sure does narrow down your choices.... :o

darippah
Very Frequent Poster

Postby darippah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:26 am

Nykiter- whats wrong with a 55cm bar? I have a smaller bar for my 8m kite (old SS bar with pull to release) but i have no issue using 55cm on previous 11-12m kites

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:29 am

darippah wrote:Nykiter- whats wrong with a 55cm bar? I have a smaller bar for my 8m kite (old SS bar with pull to release) but i have no issue using 55cm on previous 11-12m kites
I believe it's sarcasm. There are dozens of kites darippah, and no way to tell what you really want.

It would help immensely if you described your previous kite brand size year and why you didn't like it. I assume you didn't like it otherwise you would just get another of the same.
Last edited by edt on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:35 am

Like KiteCulture said - i just demo'd the 4g 11m Epic Renegade from East Coast kiteboarding Oz.
its just one Fun kite to ride that does it all, with a freestyle and wave bridal setting.
I normally like a more technical style of riding but the 11 lets you get away with most of your mistakes and very easy light wind relaunch - seems like a much bigger windrange this year too. Allways guranteed a good time on that kite...

darippah
Very Frequent Poster

Postby darippah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:53 am

Good point edt :) my first kite was a 11.5 kahoona 2010- loved it . Great range , great lift but the bar pressure had me done after an hour or 2 .I know the current kahoonas have much less bar pressire But at the point i sold it about 18 months ago i was at a much lower level so im not sure id still like it and i hear the current kahoona has changed alot.

Next up was a 12m rpm - the boosting didnt seem right to me and it tended to backstall-since it was used i dumped it on ebay after a few sessions .

Then i had a 12m taboo i believe it was a 2012 . This kite also just didnt seem right. Low end was really bad and didnt have any grunt- felt like a 10 with the top end of a 12.

I rode a 12m psycho 4 for a few months- this kite was excellent but the few sketchy situations i ran into scared me away from foils- not dangerous sketchy, just a few major bridle untangles...

I guess TMI is better than "too little info" thanks in advance for the help :)

darippah
Very Frequent Poster

Postby darippah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:53 am

Good point edt :) my first kite was a 11.5 kahoona 2010- loved it . Great range , great lift but the bar pressure had me done after an hour or 2 .I know the current kahoonas have much less bar pressire But at the point i sold it about 18 months ago i was at a much lower level so im not sure id still like it and i hear the current kahoona has changed alot.

Next up was a 12m rpm - the boosting didnt seem right to me and it tended to backstall-since it was used i dumped it on ebay after a few sessions .

Then i had a 12m taboo i believe it was a 2012 . This kite also just didnt seem right. Low end was really bad and didnt have any grunt- felt like a 10 with the top end of a 12.

I rode a 12m psycho 4 for a few months- this kite was excellent but the few sketchy situations i ran into scared me away from foils- not dangerous sketchy, just a few major bridle untangles...

I guess TMI is better than "too little info" thanks in advance for the help :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”