Favorite Beaches: el gouna, egypt
Style: freeride/freestyle
Gear: all sorts
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naish Park 2014 review

Postby boyceduke » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:12 am

Hi, I have just purchased a 2013, 12m park (yet to use it), had a go on a 2012 8m and loved that so hopefully I have made a good choice, anyway and I am now considering buying the 2014 9m unless I see a bargain 2013 9m anywhere, what is the difference if any and will the difference in price be worth it., thanks

Lives2fly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barvas, Gress, Sheilabost, Luskentyre, Reef, Ardroil, Melbost, Tong
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Naish Cults, Bolts & Parks

Postby Lives2fly » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:06 am

Has anyone tried a smaller size yet? 5m or 6m? I need something to sit below my 7.5m Cult for when its over 35 knots and for wave riding.

I like the Parks in the bigger sizes - I have 10m & 12m (2011 & 2012) but not tried anything smaller

nick14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly

Postby nick14 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:08 am

I just bought the new Park and i'm not as impressed as i though i would be. i had a couple of 2012 parks (9m and 12m) which i really liked and thought this would be a lot better. Unfortunately i wasn't able to test before i bought it but a couple of things i'm not that happy with are.
1. i find i get a lot of flutter in the kite (near the wing tip) when turning fast. never got this in the 2012. has anyone had this??
2. the new bar feel is great but......now Naish don't supply them with sliding stoppers which i find extremely useful. When i called up the shop thinking they manufactured my bar wrong they told me they don't manufacture with them anymore because they were causing some accidents, this was before telling me i could buy one for $25 aussie dollars.....WTF it would cost no more than 10cents. if you ask me its just BS and a revenue raiser. why cant they just supply with them separately and put a disclaimer before you have to make the call to attach or not.

on the upside the grey and green is the best looking kite out there but performance wise i don't think its as good as the hype. This is the 4th Naish kite I've owned but i'll be testing a bunch of other brands next time.

stevebart
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay Blouberg Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, Ponta do Ouro Mozambique
Style: fwave, freeride
Gear: Naish Park 2014 5.0, 7.0 and 11.0
Naish Global surfboard 5'8"
Naish twintip
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby stevebart » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks everyone for all the response to my review.

Just to put any minds at rest, I am not tied to Naish in any official way, have no business interest in the kite industry, am not a pro rider, and do not get free kites. This is an informal arrangement whereby I ride their kites and provide the South African importer with valuable feedback to enable him to service his market better. If the kites were not as good as they are, I would not be riding them.

The reports I write are not always 100% positive, but generally technically correct. Even if negative, this information is forwarded to Naish, and even though my comments might be nothing new to them, they welcome the feedback, respond back to the importer with their own comments, problems are resolved, and the kites improve.

Of course I am slightly biased towards the brand, but my comments are aimed more at Naish riders who are interested in learning more about the 2014 kites, especially as regards what changes have been made. If Naish sell a thousand more kites because of what I wrote, great, they deserve it.

All good! Now it's gusting 30 knots at Big Bay so I'm off to try the new Park 5.0.

Cheers.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:54 pm

nick14 wrote:I just bought the new Park and i'm not as impressed as i though i would be. i had a couple of 2012 parks (9m and 12m) which i really liked and thought this would be a lot better. Unfortunately i wasn't able to test before i bought it but a couple of things i'm not that happy with are.
1. i find i get a lot of flutter in the kite (near the wing tip) when turning fast. never got this in the 2012. has anyone had this??
2. the new bar feel is great but......now Naish don't supply them with sliding stoppers which i find extremely useful. When i called up the shop thinking they manufactured my bar wrong they told me they don't manufacture with them anymore because they were causing some accidents, this was before telling me i could buy one for $25 aussie dollars.....WTF it would cost no more than 10cents. if you ask me its just BS and a revenue raiser. why cant they just supply with them separately and put a disclaimer before you have to make the call to attach or not.

on the upside the grey and green is the best looking kite out there but performance wise i don't think its as good as the hype. This is the 4th Naish kite I've owned but i'll be testing a bunch of other brands next time.
I just saw the sliding stopper..I agree it is a mistake to not have them. I would rather have the slider than the solid stopper. I have not noticed the flutter at all. Ill double check but I think the performance so far outweighs the older model...by about a lot.
Did you notice any other differences? How does it ride? Is it while doing powered loops you hear it?

stevebart
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay Blouberg Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, Ponta do Ouro Mozambique
Style: fwave, freeride
Gear: Naish Park 2014 5.0, 7.0 and 11.0
Naish Global surfboard 5'8"
Naish twintip
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby stevebart » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Quick 2014 Park 5.0 test.

Spent two hours in 30 knots in good overhead waves on Naish Global 5'8"

As expected the kite is fast and responsive just like all smaller kites. Not at all nervous though and definitely more predictable than 2013. As per the 11.0 and 7.0, the 5.0 is also a more aggressive kite with significantly more power available. Jumping a pleasure with the extra boost and surprisingly good glide for such a small kite. Soft landings from any height no problem.

Wave riding a blast. Quick decisive turning response with no stalling. Recon this 5.0 will start working in 20 knots already such is the range. Cant wait to try in easier smoother conditions. (my weight 70kg)

Everything I said about the 7.0 applies as regards the fixed bridle direct response etc etc no point repeating it.

Truly awesome kites, all round much more exciting than previous Parks.

nick14
Medium Poster
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly

Postby nick14 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:11 am

tautologies wrote:
nick14 wrote:I just bought the new Park and i'm not as impressed as i though i would be. i had a couple of 2012 parks (9m and 12m) which i really liked and thought this would be a lot better. Unfortunately i wasn't able to test before i bought it but a couple of things i'm not that happy with are.

I just saw the sliding stopper..I agree it is a mistake to not have them. I would rather have the slider than the solid stopper. I have not noticed the flutter at all. Ill double check but I think the performance so far outweighs the older model...by about a lot.
Did you notice any other differences? How does it ride? Is it while doing powered loops you hear it?
I rode the 12m in about 20 knots the first time and 16knt the second and i've found it was fluttering both times.
Its about 30knt today so might not be able to get out the 12m (ill take the 9m 2012 insted).....if it drops off definitely i'll take it for a spin and get back to ya.

ineedwindnow
Medium Poster

Postby ineedwindnow » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:50 am

This kite rocks it ticks all the boxes I got to demo the 9mtr in about 25knots.
The static bridle has been simplified with no pulleys it truly does have a direct feel.

The kite has more bottom end than last years model and after four years I have to say Naish have nailed it.

It your are looking for something that excels in wave riding , and has torch like characteristics for flat water than this baby will do it for you.The struts are thinner than last years model and the kite has more power in the turns for wave riding.All in all a great kite. :thumb:

niknas
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Da Gorge, Los Barriles
Gear: Duotone, North, North Pacific, Lift Foil.

Postby niknas » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:02 am

I rode the 12m in about 20 knots the first time and 16knt the second and i've found it was fluttering both times.
Its about 30knt today so might not be able to get out the 12m (ill take the 9m 2012 insted).....if it drops off definitely i'll take it for a spin and get back to ya.
The first time I took my 2014 Park 12m out it fluttered bad going upwind, I was really disappointed. I then pumped it up rock hard, much harder than my 2012 Park 12m, no more fluttering. The 7m and 9m flew great right out of the box. Two thumbs ups for the 2014s. :D

PUMP IT UP.....

nick14
Medium Poster
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly

Postby nick14 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:11 am

niknas wrote:
The first time I took my 2014 Park 12m out it fluttered bad going upwind, I was really disappointed. I then pumped it up rock hard, much harder than my 2012 Park 12m, no more fluttering. The 7m and 9m flew great right out of the box. Two thumbs ups for the 2014s. :D

PUMP IT UP.....
funny you should suggest that. i already tried pumping it right up on the weekend but when i flipped it over one of the struts popped off and the whole thing deflated. i'm going to take it back and i'm sure they will replace. lucky for me i gave my 2012 to my bro which i stole back and took that out instead (still love the 2012). i'm glade to hear that pumping it right up fixed the problem for you and once i fix this strut problem i'll let ya all know.

Return to “Kitesurfing”