Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: cabrinha contra vs. velocity

Postby davesails7 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:43 am

Got a chance to demo the Contra 15m today. I was really impressed! I have never liked any Cabrinha kites because I don't like heavy bar pressure, but the bar pressure on the Contra isn't bad at all. I had a 2008 Contra years ago and sold it after 1 week because of the ridiculous bar pressure

Jumping and hangtime were really good on the new Contra. I tested it in about 15 knots, so can't comment on the low end, but I was really surprised how high I was jumping. I'm about 165 lbs, testing on normal size twin tips.

I flew a buddy's 2013 16m crossbow back to back with the Contra 15 and I would take the Contra 15, no question. Contra 15 was jumping higher and faster turning. Contra went upwind well, but the crossbow was a little better. Contra bar pressure was much better.

Also flew my 2013 14m Rebel back to back with the Contra 15. Contra had more power, higher jumps, and better hangtime. Not a direct comparison, but I had flown 17m Cloud back to back with my 14m Rebel in about 10 knots of wind and didn't see a big difference in power. I've been told though that I am "doing it wrong" when it comes to flying the cloud :wink:

I never liked the plastic-coated chicken loop line on the Cabrinha bars because added friction when moving the bar in and out, but the new 2014 bar felt really smooth.

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: cabrinha contra vs. velocity

Postby markymarc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks for sharing davesails7!

I am getting more and more excited about the 1 I bought! although never flown yet...

:jump: :jump: :jump:

Will share my true opinion once I have tested mine...

Return to “Kitesurfing”