Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: California Kitesurfing

Postby Thor SFBay » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm with Richard M on this one. Take a closer look at the end of that video. There is no way that is a good idea - I don't care how much of an expert the kiter is. People on this forum have recently been arguing about how terrible it is to have your kite at 12 while on land and other trivial matters and here you have a guy hiking up a cliffside with his kite in the air to the side of a road with cars, pedestrians, and buildings near by. Totally not cool. Where I kite that would be the equivalent of walking down the bike path with your kite flying - the local kiters would be all over that guy in a hurry to make sure he didn't do it again.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Thor SFBay wrote:I'm with Richard M on this one. Take a closer look at the end of that video. There is no way that is a good idea - I don't care how much of an expert the kiter is. People on this forum have recently been arguing about how terrible it is to have your kite at 12 while on land and other trivial matters and here you have a guy hiking up a cliffside with his kite in the air to the side of a road with cars, pedestrians, and buildings near by. Totally not cool. Where I kite that would be the equivalent of walking down the bike path with your kite flying - the local kiters would be all over that guy in a hurry to make sure he didn't do it again.
You mean like at Sherman? Yeah that would never happen in your neck of the woods. Of course there is no metal objects, cars or parking lots nearby. Oh! Wait, yes there is.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:55 pm

Dr Makani wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote: PS: A bit puzzled over the weather though ? Boots and Hoods ? How cold is the air and water since it is close to full winter suit ?
They are way up in the 'redwoods', Santa Cruz area, which is NorCal. Most people associate California with SOUTHERN California, aka SoCal.
And yes, the Pacific is quite chilly there - earth rotation and an Alaskan current is keeping this part of the coast at a refreshing 60 and less ...

Snip...
60F is 16C which is okay warm summer water :rollgrin:

But yes, there is cold water up high, at Mavericks and other big wave spots, I remember - but that is in the winthertime mostly, or ?

If water is around 60F I am still puzzled about the winther "setup" :wink:
Especially when kitesurfing which is not as cold as surfing...

Even at spots with water colder than 60F like CapeTown, many ride in shorts and top or long sleeved shorty or long legged shorty.

But of course the air is really warm like 80F so that might be the difference if air is much colder in the video ?

8) Peter

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:34 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Dr Makani wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote: PS: A bit puzzled over the weather though ? Boots and Hoods ? How cold is the air and water since it is close to full winter suit ?
They are way up in the 'redwoods', Santa Cruz area, which is NorCal. Most people associate California with SOUTHERN California, aka SoCal.
And yes, the Pacific is quite chilly there - earth rotation and an Alaskan current is keeping this part of the coast at a refreshing 60 and less ...

Snip...
60F is 16C which is okay warm summer water :rollgrin:

But yes, there is cold water up high, at Mavericks and other big wave spots, I remember - but that is in the winthertime mostly, or ?

If water is around 60F I am still puzzled about the winther "setup" :wink:
Especially when kitesurfing which is not as cold as surfing...

Even at spots with water colder than 60F like CapeTown, many ride in shorts and top or long sleeved shorty or long legged shorty.

But of course the air is really warm like 80F so that might be the difference if air is much colder in the video ?

8) Peter
not everyone is from denmark, peter, lol. we wear full wetsuits around here when the water gets down to 75 :P

BIP
Rare Poster
Local Beach: California
Favorite Beaches: California
Style: strapless
Gear: BladeKites
Brand Affiliation: BladeKites

Postby BIP » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:19 pm

Just for clarification we wear winter wetsuits mostly because we surf regularly along with kiting. I can say the air temp is usually 55-60F and today's water temp 57F. I'd say it doesn't really constitute a hood until winter time when the temp really drops off but a 4/3 is a must! ..... and to the Mr. Safety's out there :argue: , CALM DOWN! The local riders own this beach, not the tourists, nor the visiting riders, so if they want to run up the side of the cliff to land their kite in the designated launch/land spot so be it. Dont let the angles fool you, sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. :cool2:

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 pm

BIP wrote:.........! ..... and to the Mr. Safety's out there :argue: , CALM DOWN! The local riders own this beach, not the tourists, nor the visiting riders, so if they want to run up the side of the cliff to land their kite in the designated launch/land spot so be it. Dont let the angles fool you, sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. :cool2:
Please let us "Mr. Safety's" know:

1. WHAT legal authority "designated" the "launch/land spot" (looks a tad sketchy), especially considering the side-on/onshore wind.

2. Since "The local riders own this beach..." I'm very curious as to HOW they accomplished this, since in CA, beaches may NOT be privately owned.

Unless you mean that the locals are such unmitigated A$$HOLES that they ACT AS IF they owned a beach that is in fact PUBLIC.

And even IF they did actually OWN the beach, that you think this gives them a right to bother, let alone ACTUALLY ENDANGER, non-kiters is a PERFECT example of why beaches keep getting closed to kiting.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:22 am

noel wrote: You mean like at Sherman? Yeah that would never happen in your neck of the woods. Of course there is no metal objects, cars or parking lots nearby. Oh! Wait, yes there is.
At Sherman Island there are paths for walking your kite to and from the launch point. And yes, it is a bit sketchy and not recommended for beginners. But that's because there is only a tiny beach with not much room to set up kites. (And for the record, it's in a paid access park near a parking lot and not near a public road with pedestrians and moving cars like you see in the video). In Santa Cruz, there are several kite spots that have large beaches to launch and land your kite on. If that guy had no other choice than to walk up a cliff trail, then my guess is that he was kiting at a surf spot that kiters don't normally go to. But in the background of the video, it looks like there is a beach that he could have landed his kite on, so why didn't he?

skerrj
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lake isabella
Favorite Beaches: ca coast, maui
Style: cruise
Gear: directionals, neos

Postby skerrj » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:57 am

BIP wrote:Just for clarification we wear winter wetsuits mostly because we surf regularly along with kiting. I can say the air temp is usually 55-60F and today's water temp 57F. I'd say it doesn't really constitute a hood until winter time when the temp really drops off but a 4/3 is a must! ..... and to the Mr. Safety's out there :argue: , CALM DOWN! The local riders own this beach, not the tourists, nor the visiting riders, so if they want to run up the side of the cliff to land their kite in the designated launch/land spot so be it. Dont let the angles fool you, sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. :cool2:
Just for clarification:

0) nice vid, you guys rip!
1) when this thread started i was anti RichardM. .
2) kited this spot. It's not the safest place on the planet
2.5) this area, due to it's exposer, is chilly. I usually wear a hood.. but then again I'm a member of the PPP (Pro-Perspiration-Persuasion)!
3) the locals do tear it up..... and MOST of them are super cool.... ("watch out for that rock", "can get kinda gusty here", "don't run over that seal", "wanna use my pump?", etc...)
4) at this spot I land on the beach... which is in front of the cliff
5) BIP: I agree with RichardM, you don't own the beach.

be safe,
scott
Last edited by skerrj on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:10 am

BIP wrote:Just for clarification we wear winter wetsuits mostly because we surf regularly along with kiting. I can say the air temp is usually 55-60F and today's water temp 57F. I'd say it doesn't really constitute a hood until winter time when the temp really drops off but a 4/3 is a must! .....

Snip....
Aaah, great and a good reason - now it makes sense and just the same here and other countries I''ve been to - as if you surf too you have to be a lot more "wrapped" yes :naughty:

Really great waves, riding, and video :thumb:

8) Peter

BIP
Rare Poster
Local Beach: California
Favorite Beaches: California
Style: strapless
Gear: BladeKites
Brand Affiliation: BladeKites

Postby BIP » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:25 pm

I never said I owned the beach, I said the locals do. I think anyone should be able to do whatever they want at the beach. In our case we have a beach that is windy that draws a certain demographic of riders who worry more about having a good time in the waves, than about the few people on the beach are doing. 8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”