Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Been flying trainer, any suggestions before a lesson?

Forum for kitesurfers
bna858
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sarasota, FL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Been flying trainer, any suggestions before a lesson?

Postby bna858 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:14 pm

I bought a 3.5 meter trainer kite, flew it for about 6 hours over the last couple days. Day 1 was about 8mph, and yesterday was about 20mph.

I'm able to fully control the kite in all areas of the wind window, do figure eights, float the kite just above ground at the edge of the window. I even got in the water with crashing waves to simulate controlling the kite in surf. I understand how it works and where the power is.

I think I've mastered flying the kite. Does anybody have any specific suggestions or moves I should try before I take a lesson?

I'm in Sarasota, FL so if anybody knows of a good instructor, let me know.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: Been flying trainer, any suggestions before a lesson?

Postby matth » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Definitely take lessons, and read as much about safety as possible. Its easy in this sport to getting into a sticky situation, knowing how to handle it is key.

I found the hardest thing to master when learning was getting in the straps and getting ready to go. Part of the reason is it was rough surfy condition . Hopefully you can find some flat water for your first runs. Either way I would recommend grabbing a board and your trainer. Launch kite and practice walking into water with board in hand. Now try to get into straps with kite over head. I found using grab handle to position board then put one foot in and wiggle quickly to drive foot in. Now you can position board with one leg and drive other foot in without using handle. This allows you to put two hands on kite sooner and focus more on flying. Now that you are in you can pratice diving the kite. Make yourself light and let the pull of th kite stand you up. Point the board downwind towards the kite. I see lots of people fight the kite and hook up wind to soon. Make sure you are in waist deep water not ankle high....

Good luck and enjoy this awesome sport.

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:50 pm

There's a big difference between a 2-line trainer kite and a 4-line depowerable kiteboarding kite. With the 2-liner, you have only directional control to adjust the pull of the kite. Once you have the ability to adjust the pull by sheeting out/in, getting up on a board and keeping your balance is much easier. I think working a 2-line kite near shore with side-on or onshore winds would be a good next step (with a deserted beach) and learning to deal with a board at the same time. Just remember it's actually much easier when you step up to a "big boy's" kite. Probably one session of floundering in the surf will be all you need to get the benefit before taking a lesson.

Definitely read up on safety issues. The lessons will cover that (hopefully), but there's SOOOO much to learn about safety it's tough to remember it from a lesson or two. Read up on things first--then the lesson will help reinforce and make sense of what you've read.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Don

Lives2fly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barvas, Gress, Sheilabost, Luskentyre, Reef, Ardroil, Melbost, Tong
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Naish Cults, Bolts & Parks

Postby Lives2fly » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:09 pm

If its got a chicken loop on the bar You could try lying on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the sand. Put the kite to 11 or 1 and swing it accross the window to simulate a waterstart. Let the kite pull you to your feet through your harness while keeping your grip on the bar relaxed.

This will help train you out of the common mistake of trying to use your arms to pull yourself up.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:18 pm

If you are close to a cable park you can try getting up on the cable if you don't already wakeboard or wakesurf. It will give you the feeeling of pushing your front foot forward as you are getting up.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi

As well as lessons try a dvd or two;
Amazon has them; Progression - beginners.

Good luck and hope it goes well.

Kev

pjhardie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The Slick, Cape Hatteras, NC.
Style: Waves
Brand Affiliation: REAL Watersports Inc. - Rider and Employee.

Postby pjhardie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:04 pm

Have you watched the Zero to Hero DVD yet? It's a pretty useful tool to get you going and will definitely help you progress as fast as possible before you take your lesson! It's available for download here if you're interested: http://learn.realwatersports.com

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:57 pm

At this point it sounds like you're just ready for the lesson, you can keep playing with the trainer but there is definitely a difference when you have 4 lines and have to worry about pushing the bar in and out.

The only other thing I'd say to try if you want, is you can body drag downwind with the trainer. Lie on your stomach in the water and do figure eights with the kite as hard as you can. You can try keeping the kite more on one side of the window or the other and angle your body different directions to try to control where you go. This is almost like body dragging behind a full size kite, except you won't be able to go upwind unless it's blowing like 40 knots.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:23 am

Bna - brainwash yourself for Water starts by saying to yourself...
"Front foot pressure, throttle - back foot, Brake".
If you find your going nowhere, its because youve got the Brakes on :)

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:06 am

Welcome to the sport. You are ready for lessons!

While waiting, you can practice a simulated water start in each direction. Sit on the ground on a strong wind day and practice diving the kite into the power zone to stand you up from a sitting position. Put your left leg out, and simulate getting lifted and riding off to the left. Then put your right food out and simulate getting up and riding off to the right...

Return to “Kitesurfing”