Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Varial X vs Edge

Postby DJwilson » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi Guys and Girls.
Am in the market for the first time in 4 years and looking at either a 2012 Edge or Varial X. It seems the varial x is a little more of an all rounder, which is important as I ll be riding my surfboard as much as my twinnie, and was just wondering if anyone had anything bad to say about the Varial x - everywhere I look seems to be great. I would be new to Airush but am very familiar with Ozone. What do you reckon? Progressive free rider, big air, loops, little unhooking, strapless....all thoughts very welcome. Thanks

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards

Re: Varial X vs Edge

Postby ChristoffM » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:10 pm

I recently got the 2013 varial X and I am very happy with it. It is the mot C kite I have had for years and I starting to C why people always want that C-kite feel. If you are comparing it to the edge, are you not thinking of the Varial XR, which is the race kite?

I saw a 2012 varial on the beach this weekend, and it was much more of a delta/bow than the 2013 model. I think varial and VarialX are different models altogether, just like VarialX and VXR are different.

What I like about the Varial X:

- very nice upwind. I do not know how it compares to a race kite, but for all the kites I have flown it seems to be the best. It really complements my hydrofoil in light wind
- very nice boosting. The control while you are up there and the lack of downwind drift during the glide gives me much softer landings than I have ever had
- very nice top end. It can depower both like a C-kite (where you keep it to the edge of the window and gusts cause it to move closer to the edge) as well as depowering pretty well when you sheet out (like bow/delta kites but obviously not as much). I was out in gusts up to 30 knots on a 9m Varial X on my twintip and the way it handles the gusts (being an efficient profile- probably like most modern C-kites) it does not fall back into the window and drag you around so much. I really like it.
- very little kite flutter: My old 3 strut kites fluttered a lot when I was well powered, but the VarialX keeps its shape much better while still being depowered enough to be comfortable in very strong winds.
- bottom end: probably not too much on a twintip, but for light to medium winds I always use a hydrofoil and it is great for that in light wind due to it efficient profile and light enough construction. I still need to see how little wind is needed, but I suspect I can go down to sub 10 knots with the foilboard easily with the 9m.

For what you want I think it will be ideal. I have not really tried full on race kites to compare to the Edge though. I cannot find anything bad to say really, other than maybe the graphics with that big "a" logo, and the fact that the bridle has 6 pulleys in total despite the fact that rear lines attach directly to the kite.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:37 pm

I would concur with everything ChristoffM has said. Awesome kites! I have a 2012 12m Varial X and 2013 10m Varial X and absolutely love them both. Especially the 10m. Yes they have a bunch of pulleys but I have been riding 14 years and have never had a problem with pulleys. Very stable, great for unhooking and one of the best jumping kites I have ever ridden. The kite excels at everything your looking for. The bar is also very nice.

yuko
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka
Gear: Airush

Postby yuko » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Guess what? I have both of them - 2012 12m Varial X and 2011 15m Edge. I rode them a lot with directional Sector and started to ride them on twin-tip. Although, edge is my light wind kite and varialx is my all round medium wind kite. Eventhough my comparaison is not size vs size I still think I can comment on them side by side :
First of all, I love them both, they are somewhat simillar kites, they don't like when the wind dies, they are heavy, and high aspect so you have to move them if the wind has holes and you're at the beach and heading out and don't want the kite to fall. They are not the most user friendly, do it all, kid of kites but are amazing at what they do.
VarialX got good reviews saying that you always know where the kite is, and it's true, you just feel where it is around the window, coming out of downloop you don't even need to look at it, you just feel it. It's got some bar pressure, I'd say 15m edge is lighter on the bar, then 12m varial for me, but not tiresome at any point.
Both go well upwind, but edge is better. Both are good jumpers, I'd say simillar height and glide, even though I can't compare same sizes. What i can say that in light wind the 15m can lift you up wayyy high and you just glide down.
Ozone got awesome built quality for the kite, but airush got better bar, nicer designed and safer ,IMO, quickrelease, working swivel and adjustable bar length.

In conclussion i'd say, both are amazing kites, that like to be flown somewhat to get the maximum from it where VarialX will shine a little more as do it all kite kind of kite, even though it does not pretend to be in all arounder as there it's cousin Lithium, while edge is even more racier, even though VarialX can get amazingly fast on a directional, I did my fastest runs ever on it with sector . Edge can race downwind too, it's really a racing kite that jumps and glides.

Can't wait to try the 2014 VarialX though as it get's totally redesigned and loses 2 struts.

If you go for Airush, go for 2013 especially for the bar redesign. Kite got improved too. Edge seems to be same for 2011-2012, and got little tweaked for 2013, same bar though.

let us know what you choose!

DJwilson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South coast UK
Favorite Beaches: Nappeague, USA
Paros, GREECE
Wissand, FRANCE
Alvor, PORTUGAL
Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards

Postby DJwilson » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:00 am

Thanks Guys, very good to hear your thoughts. What is the power delivery like with the Varial X? I ve read its a bit sharp, not quite as smooth as the Ozone, but that might be no bad thing. In truth i dont think any kites come close to the bang-on smoothness and refinement of the Ozone feel, but that s fine. I'll just get an 11m Edge! And what about the bar - Smart or Analogue? Not sure i need the extendable capacity of the Smart, and I really dont like the look of those little poppers holding the inserts to the main bar! Looks a bit sketchy to me. Thanks

noel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby noel » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:23 am

DJwilson wrote:Thanks Guys, very good to hear your thoughts. What is the power delivery like with the Varial X? I ve read its a bit sharp, not quite as smooth as the Ozone, but that might be no bad thing. In truth i dont think any kites come close to the bang-on smoothness and refinement of the Ozone feel, but that s fine. I'll just get an 11m Edge! And what about the bar - Smart or Analogue? Not sure i need the extendable capacity of the Smart, and I really dont like the look of those little poppers holding the inserts to the main bar! Looks a bit sketchy to me. Thanks

Edge is a little more bow shape where Varial X is more C shape. Not sure what you mean by sharp though. C shape will give it a little more BANG! as far as lift goes. I have ridden both and the VX is clearly better for unhooking and loops. As for the bar, I have been useing the Smartbar for over a year for myself and in my school with 0 problems. I wasn't sure what to expect when I got it but am now sold on it. One of the best bars on the market. I have a Analog coming next month with my 2014 14m Lithium. Looks fine though. Excellent safety release with single line safety on the front lines as it should be.

Funny how people rave about the VX but you decide to get the Edge. Hope you like it! I really liked the C-4 except for the jumping and low end.

yuko
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka
Gear: Airush

Postby yuko » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:58 pm

With the SmartBar , you'll be able to undo crossed lines without completely landing your kite.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 am

I have 2013 12m VX and noticed that orange color faded a lot. Used it not so many times, maybe like 20. Got it brand new.

The other thing is a pumping nozzle. I was impressed at first but than sometimes is not easy to put the nozzle on top of this valve. Also, the air ball doesn't work every time which releases some air when detaching a nozzle.

Third, the bar. Hm, the "molded" foam just peeled off for about 10-15cm. How is that possible on a new bar...Not happy and will need gluing AGAIN. Already used some epoxy around the stainless steel.

The metal buttons to hold the extensions are impossible to press in, was well oiled and washed after every use.

Yes, you can rotate the lines well with the SB. But, let's be fair, the LF bar does that well too, only by itself.

And what I hate the most: the VX bar lines! Why are they not made of one single line? But extensions....I know, it's cheaper. It's a mess when dangled. Add the LW extensions and it's hell.

PS
SB stopper is rubbish, a bit harsh but I want a stopper, not something I need to hold with a finger.

noel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby noel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:35 pm

downunder wrote:I have 2013 12m VX and noticed that orange color faded a lot. Used it not so many times, maybe like 20. Got it brand new.

The other thing is a pumping nozzle. I was impressed at first but than sometimes is not easy to put the nozzle on top of this valve. Also, the air ball doesn't work every time which releases some air when detaching a nozzle.

Third, the bar. Hm, the "molded" foam just peeled off for about 10-15cm. How is that possible on a new bar...Not happy and will need gluing AGAIN. Already used some epoxy around the stainless steel.

The metal buttons to hold the extensions are impossible to press in, was well oiled and washed after every use.

Yes, you can rotate the lines well with the SB. But, let's be fair, the LF bar does that well too, only by itself.

And what I hate the most: the VX bar lines! Why are they not made of one single line? But extensions....I know, it's cheaper. It's a mess when dangled. Add the LW extensions and it's hell.

PS
SB stopper is rubbish, a bit harsh but I want a stopper, not something I need to hold with a finger.
I agree that the buttons can stick a little. I had one 10 minute struggle with it a one time but got it pushed useing something found on beach and the stopper could be better. The color fade I have no idea. My 12m VX is orange/blue and there are a few lithiums in the same color and I haven't noticed.

The valve is a normal valve with stopper ball. Most companies are still using the same. (though many are going to high-flow valves) Flick it with your finger, probably has condensation in the valve or was folded in kite. The nozzle on the pump is the same as everyone that uses that valve including Slingshot and Epic.

I haven't seen any bars with bad grip. I have 2 Smartbars that I teach and ride with and no problems. One of them I use on my Cloud 17 and get thrown into the back of truck.

As for the switching of crossed lines, I would never think it's a good idea to flip the bar end while the kite is flying. But if experienced, you can juggle the bar through a low "Y" split in the front lines. Slingshot, LF and Airush are nice like that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”