Medium Poster
Gear: F-One B6 and SS Fuel
Tablas boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Post for new Kiters, Beginners

Postby Delmar78 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:58 am

NYKiter wrote:Yet at the same time Progression doesn't establish its own forum...
No wind??? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

It's a whole lot better to watch kiteforum.com then I think....

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:09 pm

Robclaisse

I think you vids are excellent also ..good move putting them on Istore, love watcing on my ipad.

I read somewhere else that someone was killed in NY the other day. Sounds like it was a begginer who was attempting to walk around a jetty after getting blown down wind . Slammed his head off the rocks( check for more details).

I think its great you are here and this topic came up. You should consider creating a new vid on the dangers of kiting and the does and don't to stay safe. Bad launches, too windy for your skill level, safety system practice, always check SS before riding , is off shore safe, should I have a hook knife(i carry two), when to ditch rig, and on and on..

I remember when I went to driving school a hundred years ago. They spent a lot of time showing us photos and videos of cars wrapped around trees with bloody bodies lying on the ground.
I think it helped remind us that driving is great but it can also be deadly.

I get sick every time I read about one of these deadly accidents. I truly believe most could have been avoided with better awareness and training..

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:18 pm

talbert99 wrote: Do the right thing.
Good post talbert99, lots of good points and thank you for posting them.

Not all instructors provide equal value or ability at training either. It is important to put some effort into your selection using common sense and to choose well. More ideas in that regard at: viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2349862

matth I wasn't aware of any fatality in New York and haven't been able to find any mention of such an accident online. Could you provide a link to more information? Thank you.

RicCat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Roosevelt, WA
Favorite Beaches: Roosevelt, WA
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 2012 Switch Nitro2 8m, 10m, 12m
2010 Caution Mayhem X 9m
2013 Naish Park 7m

Postby RicCat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:37 pm

Talbert99

As a newby kiter for just about a year now I can totally relate to your kiteboard learning experience. While a little older at 51 I too have been a waterman my whole life (sailing, windsurfing, freediving, waterskiing, wakeboarding, wakesurfing, surfing, scuba diving, spearfishing, jetskiing, kayaking, etc…). I also thought kiteboarding looked a lot easier and safer than it is, at least in the beginning stages. I also thought I would be able to progress much faster than I have, probably due to the fact that I’ve been able to pick up other watersports rather quickly. I did the Progression and other DVDs as well as YouTube videos, trainer kites, flying full size kites in parks, etc… I agree that a lesson or two is a must for first-time kiters.

However, my experience has been that practice time on the water, whenever possible with other kiters you know and preferably at a familiar launch with winds favorable for beginners, is the best way to proceed after an initial lesson or two. My only problem with lots of lessons without enough practice time spaced in between is that this sport has such a steep learning curve that some new kiters can end up wasting a lot of money on additional lessons if their kiting skills don’t really qualify them for their next progression/lesson. This is mostly our own fault because we try to ‘hurry’ our own learning. This is particularly true of people who try to learn to kiteboard/surf while on a vacation. This situation can be compounded by the fact that kiteboarding instruction is a business and instructors are there to make a living. I’m not dising kiteboard instructors at all. Their awesome and I love them, but what I’m talking about is a balanced learning approach.

My experience has been that many schools and instructors will push for “more lessons” even when they know what you really need is time to practice and master what you’ve already been taught. For example, how many people can really self-rescue properly or have the wherewithal to pull their QR during the initial stages of a kitemare after 8 hours of back to back lessons? Not many. Yet many can get up and ride at that point. I’ve learned that kiting safely is so much more than getting up and riding.

What I found worked best for me was some initial instruction followed by lots of practice time with friends at my local kiteboarding spot. I also bring a waverunner for rescue purposes if things go really bad (I kite in the Gorge). After wasting money on a lesson that I didn’t get much out of (through no fault of the instructor) I’ve since learned when a lesson is what I need vs practice.

Flame me if you will but I now ride a lot better and safer than others I've seen with many more lessons under their belt.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:35 am

I agree with RicCat , after your initial lessons you need to get out and ride as much as possible. In the end your safety is up to you. The more you read and talk to others the more you will learn.

Rickl
The NY story was posted on my local site. I have not found the story online either. Maybe it has not been reported yet.

http://masskiting.com/kiteboarding-forum/kiter-dies-nyc

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Thank you matth. I have tried to contact some kiting interests in the area but haven't much more than what appears in the masskiting.com post. I appreciate your passing the information along.
matth wrote:I agree with RicCat , after your initial lessons you need to get out and ride as much as possible. In the end your safety is up to you. The more you read and talk to others the more you will learn.

Rickl
The NY story was posted on my local site. I have not found the story online either. Maybe it has not been reported yet.

mdksniper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach Island, NJ
Gear: Naish Rides, BRM Cloud 17, Litewave kiteboards

Postby mdksniper » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:48 pm

RickI wrote:Thank you matth. I have tried to contact some kiting interests in the area but haven't much more than what appears in the masskiting.com post. I appreciate your passing the information along.
matth wrote:I agree with RicCat , after your initial lessons you need to get out and ride as much as possible. In the end your safety is up to you. The more you read and talk to others the more you will learn.

Rickl

There is a yahoo group called 'NYCKitersurfers.' I think that is where the story came from.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NYCKitesurfers/info

GungaDin
Medium Poster

Postby GungaDin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:22 am

Lessons are great.......but
why spend the money when your friends help you out.
That is what has been happening here a lot, friends helping them get started even letting them use thier kites. In a sense lessons for free!

J

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:10 am

Thank you, Information is starting to come in about what is described as a beginner Kiter fatal accident. I hope to know more by tomorrow.

More experienced friends working with you is an excellent way to progress after basic lessons. Would you rely upon friends to teach you how to fly or even scuba dive? The ways of getting in trouble and knowledge and skills required to avoid falling into those traps likely exceed casual information passed on by friends. There is a lot more to kiting than simply the basic mechanics of assembling and operating the gear. Unfortunately some instruction for hire is little better whereas some providers are excellent. The burden falls on the consumer, the student to find the best qualified Pro instruction they can to make sure essential knowledge and skills are thoroughly covered.

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:42 pm

I would consider helping a friend but only in a super controlled situation. Side on, mid to high teens wind, waist deep water, etc. I would never let someone borrow my kite, thats like giving a 6 year old a chain saw, not smart.
I would spend a few hours going over saftey and practicing letting go and releasing until I was confident they could do it on command, and beginning to create muscle memory. Another thing I would do is explain how the kite flies of the front lines and is steered with the rear lines. Most newbies natural reaction is to pull the bar and hold on with a death grip. When they understand why they should be doing the oppisite(relax bar and let kite fly forward on front lines) it helps it all make sense.

I think if you are not willing to spend 500$ on quality lessons you are doing yourself a tremendous disservice. You are not only putting yourself in harms way, but the safety of others and possibly risking beach access.. Not a great way to make new friends.
Find the best teacher in your area and spend th money.

Return to “Kitesurfing”