Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

California Kitesurfing

Forum for kitesurfers
jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: California Kitesurfing

Postby jrfiol » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 pm

awesome video, is the kiter in the video the OP?

when they close down your beach, come on down to the banana republic! No wetsuits, no rules.

Kite over the tourists... no problem.

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !
Been thanked: 0

Postby RichardM » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 pm

BIP wrote:I never said I owned the beach, I said the locals do. I think anyone should be able to do whatever they want at the beach. In our case we have a beach that is windy that draws a certain demographic of riders who worry more about having a good time in the waves, than about the few people on the beach are doing. 8)
That's fine. WHEN YOU'RE IN THE WAVES.

However, the IRRESPONSIBLE conduct mentioned is your NOT worrying about the people on the beach WHEN YOU'RE ON THE BEACH.

Furthermore, it makes NO difference whether there is one, a "few", or a lot of non-kiters to "worry" about.

Although your IRRESPONSIBLE attitude is obviously detrimental to the longevity of the sport, it is typical of MANY of the rocket scientists in the sport who think that they are so special that they have a special right to do whatever they want.

However, if you notice, my original post did NOT even criticize your idiotic behavior. It criticized Blade for ENDORSING and thereby PROMOTING it.

And incidentally, are you stating that you're NOT a "local"?

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET
Last edited by RichardM on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:55 pm

jrfiol wrote:awesome video, is the kiter in the video the OP?

when they close down your beach, come on down to the banana republic! No wetsuits, no rules.

Kite over the tourists... no problem.

EDIT: I am kidding, no kiting over tourists ever ;-D

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:17 pm

richardM to the rescue. thank you so much for your continued efforts to create a positive atmosphere.

i am pretty sure who the "unmitigated a$$hole" is in this thread.

:yourock:

BIP
Rare Poster
Local Beach: California
Favorite Beaches: California
Style: strapless
Gear: BladeKites
Brand Affiliation: BladeKites

Postby BIP » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:54 pm

8) Spot on Rich, I am not a local to where I kite today. But by kiting in the area for a number of years and learning/gaining the locals respect through the actions you deem "irresponsible" I can speak freely about the "conduct" that is exhibited there and how in our eyes my behavior in the video is acceptable where we kite, at your kite spot this would be different. So don't worry, you'll never see me kiting down in malibu. :jump:

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Well, I still don't get it. I can't really think of any good reason why you would walk up to a road through clueless bystanders when there appears to be a beach right there that you could land on. I'm not a Safety bad person at all - I don't care if you wear a helmet or if you strap dead fish to your torso and go "here, sharky, sharky" or anything as long as you don't mess with other people. That guy is an expert kiter, but those bystanders, pedestrians and cars do not have a clue about kites and it seems really irresponsible to be walking with a kite in the air amongst them. I guess that spot is really special and lulls and gusts never happen and there is zero chance that the kite might fall out of the sky.

So BIP, can you at least explain where the heck he is going and why? All you are doing is saying that he gets to do that because he is "local". That means nothing - there are plenty of idiots local or otherwise.

kitenake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: pismo
Favorite Beaches: portugal spain australia
Style: WAKE
Gear: slingy fuels

Postby kitenake » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:08 pm

at that spot local can land up on top of the bluff. we self regulate :jump: :jump: :jump: any new people go down to the beach

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County

Postby RichardM » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:01 pm

kitenake wrote:at that spot local can land up on top of the bluff. we self regulate :jump: :jump: :jump: any new people go down to the beach
Thor:
You are wasting your time.

They do it out of PURE LAZINESS because they're evidently SO FEEBLE that they need to use the kite to pull them up to where they've parked.

They obviously KNOW what they're doing is wrong. But they're too childish, self-centered and irresponsible to admit it. I expect that embarrassment about admitting to being so feeble comes into play as well.

However, the worst part is by NO MEANS that they're so IRRESPONSIBLE that they don't mind endangering non-kiters. By FAR the worst part is that this retarded conduct is ENDORSED by a major MANUFACTURER, BLADE. This tells viewers that us "Dr. Safetys" are WRONG when we try to inform them about CORRECT kiting practices and thereby PROMOTES the ignorance which ends up getting beaches CLOSED to kiting.

Richard M.

BIP
Rare Poster
Local Beach: California
Favorite Beaches: California
Style: strapless
Gear: BladeKites
Brand Affiliation: BladeKites

Postby BIP » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:31 pm

RichardM wrote:By FAR the worst part is that this retarded conduct is ENDORSED by a major MANUFACTURER, BLADE. This tells viewers that us "Dr. Safetys" are WRONG when we try to inform them about CORRECT kiting practices and thereby PROMOTES the ignorance which ends up getting beaches CLOSED to kiting.

Richard M.
.... says the conspiracy theorist....

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County

Postby RichardM » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:19 pm

BIP wrote:
RichardM wrote:By FAR the worst part is that this retarded conduct is ENDORSED by a major MANUFACTURER, BLADE. This tells viewers that us "Dr. Safetys" are WRONG when we try to inform them about CORRECT kiting practices and thereby PROMOTES the ignorance which ends up getting beaches CLOSED to kiting.

Richard M.
.... says the conspiracy theorist....
Just because I subscribe to a conspiracy theory that probably applies to you and the locals you describe, doesn’t make my statements any less accurate.

However, I’m puzzled as to how you know of this theory since I don’t recall ever detailing it.

For the readers not familiar with it, some of us who have watched the sport deteriorate over more than ten years have a theory that the primary cause has been due to an influx of little grom surfers who have been tormented over the years by bigger a$$hole surfers who have made them “respect” them by giving up their waves, pretending to worship their betters’ “awesome” waveriding, and in general being coerced into participating in a retarded and irrational pecking order.

Because these little groms were spoiled little rich brats used to always getting what they want and always being "...able to do whatever they want....”, the above situation created an exceptional amount of constant frustration and an overwhelming desire to show everyone that THEY were actually the top doggies (say woof, woof).

Obviously kiting satisfies that desire better than surfing because they can not only attract more attention to their wonderfulness but also easily steal the show from the surfers, even the biggest a$$hole surfers, who are now in their shadow. Of course, their idea of being the top doggie (say woof, woof) means that they don’t have be the least bit considerate of others and in fact they think that DISPLAYING distain for others’ rights helps to show that they are the top doggies (say woof, woof).

The above attitude results in IRRESPONSIBLE behavior, the end result of which has been a steady decline in camaraderie and ACCESS.

The conspiracy part of the theory is that many of these sadly twisted rich brats evidently have formed one or more loose and nebulous organizations with names like “Locals Only”, “Locals Rule”, “Locals Beach” etc. where the main goal is to always DEFEND the IRRESPONSIBLE A$$HOLE CONDUCT of its members regardless of how badly said conduct may reflect on the sport, especially in the eyes of non-kiters and various authorities.

Although most “mainstream” kiters may not want to believe that this nefarious conspiracy is at work and growing stronger, those of us who have taken the time to study the situation and the reasons for beach closures, know the truth.

So, does your organization have an actual name ? Perhaps along the lines of "Big Local Woofies"?

Richard M.

Return to “Kitesurfing”