Forum for kitesurfers
14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Re: Sudden boost in winds...

Postby 14ToeSide » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:46 am

:housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :kiff: :kiff: :kiff: :kiff:

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Don Monnot » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:32 am

Do you Boston Boys kite IN Pleasure Bay, or outside the enclosed area? Pleasure Bay looks kinda small. Looks like our lagoon in the Milwaukee Harbor, which only works with very specific conditions, and then not very well.

Richard does get me dizzy sometimes. He makes it sound like a conspiracy of the government trying to drive kiters crazy. He's just pointing out the limitations of the equipment, sort of correctly. His advice is good, though. What you see from a report may not describe the conditions exactly where you kite. Case in point: North Gap station in Milwaukee. Especially in the Spring when the water's very cold and the land is super warm, the anemometer may read that it's blowing 25, while on the local beach, 1 mile away, it's dead calm. You can see the solid whitecaps a few hundred yards offshore, but can't get to them.

Don

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Don Monnot wrote: Richard does get me dizzy sometime. Don
He is under the impression that the Ikitesurf graph as something to do with original poster

They are 2 separate things :wink:

Graph just shows what a huge boost of wind looks like ...on a graph....
...nothing to do with the OP's wind conditions

Original poster had onshore wind and was riding close to shore near a peninsula..
.....probably where he lives in Texas....and not Boston area

He was doing a transition of some kind he says at the time...
.....and that would have brought him even closer to shore

:cheers:

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:09 pm

I just came in from riding a 9 meter kite when a friend of a friend who said he was competent at kiting wanted to try my 5 meter kite. After a poltergust or " sudden boost in winds" this happened. The video is real! Cameraman was looking at me and happened to catch some of the loop accident. Broke his helmet in 2 pieces. Where we kite you need to always be watching upwind to see what's coming.

http://youtu.be/f9Duf55y1Qc

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:21 pm

waynepjh wrote: ...
The video is real! Cameraman was looking at me and happened to catch some of the loop accident. Broke his helmet in 2 pieces. Where we kite you need to always be watching upwind to see what's coming.

http://youtu.be/f9Duf55y1Qc
Now That guy got , "LAUNCHED" !!!

It's hard to believe a little 5M can do that to a
human body.

You didn't say if he Lived ?

Bille

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:11 pm

It was a "poltergust" like the ones I have seen at lake mohave. They usually start as a waterspout when they leave the shore then bend over and turn into a gust that is not that wide and passes quickly. I have seen my friend literally fly his kite multiple times right through a waterspout that was over 100' high. Kite was low to the water of course.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:27 pm

I am very familar with Pleasure Bay. Unique kite/windsurf spot In South Boston(home of the an even more dangerous Whitey). Great spot for flat water high speed riding. Yes most riding is on the inside, outside not great for kiting , good for windsurfing and island hopping. Kiting is limited to SSW, S, SE. The launch is at the SW corner where beach is. So its an offshore launch and you ride close to Walkway that divides from ocean and is about 10 feet higher than water. This set up creates perfect glass condition. Lots of high speed and huge boosting happen there.

Looking at that wind graph I am sure that was a T-storm.

RDM
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby RDM » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:20 am

seaplus wrote: Kiting parallel and close to the shore on a fully-powered 12m kite and wind cranks from steady 16k to 26k. No time to depower and skidding towards shoreline fast.

What would you do?.
Get the kite low to the water and edge the board really hard, doing this you can come to a complete stop...

Return to “Kitesurfing”