Kalpitiya lagoon - Sri Lanka
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kalpitiya / Sri Lanka report 2012

Postby The Ruuk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi Mede,
Yes I actually did realize this myself.
And thats why there will be a boat which would ferry you from the camp to the other side for a very economical rate. its much faster with a boat :-). Do come and visit us when you are in Kalpitiya next time :-)).

Hangloose.

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:39 am

Hi Rook,

This sounds like an excellent proposition :thumb:

I'll be in the area in the coming weeks, if I have a slot, I'll drop by.

Cu there :bye:

The Ruuk
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Silvaplana lake - St Moritz
Como Lake - Como Italy

Postby The Ruuk » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:01 pm

@ Mede, :thumb:
A cool beer would be waiting for you :-))

The Ruuk
Rare Poster
Como Lake - Como Italy

Postby The Ruuk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 am

mede wrote: In order to avoid disappointments from your clients, let me suggest that you are clear about the fact that it will be impossible to start kiting from your land directly during the prevailing summer winds, as the land is situated in the lee, and there is typically not enough wind entering to enable a save and consistent launch.

Hi Mede,
Few days back I asked our local team to do a launch again from the beach where we are located and its confirmed, if you are an experienced kiter ( unlike me ;-) ) , you can start from here and ride upwind and you will be able to reach the hotsport of the beach where most riders do their free style tricks :-)).
And coming back to "Ruuk village" is also gurantedd. But just in case if you are too tired to do that, hop in to the boat Taxi where the boatsman will charge you per person. We have partner boatsmen who provide this serive at a pre-agreed price. This service can also be ordered to cross the lagoon if you are not an experienced kiter.
This is an approach to make sure that the kiters pay a fair price for the service they recieve.
These boat tickets will be available at our village shop. You can then exchange a ride for one of these tickets you purchase.

Update: 06.06.2014, A guest and his girl friend who stayed 10 days at Ruuk Village proved that you can also kitesurf direct infront of the village. This is actually pretty good if you dont like to be in the crowded area, where all kiters gather. right in front of the Village you can do your tricks ( provideed the wind is strong enough). Check the pics from their session.
Attachments
Foto 4.JPG
Newly done "private sitting area" of each cabana with comfortable cusions.
Foto 2.JPG
Pumping your kite right at the entrace to "Ruuk Village"
Foto 7.JPG
Doing tricks infront of "Ruuk Village"
cabana_view.jpg
After three months of Operation , picture taken in January 2014
Last edited by The Ruuk on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Ruuk
Rare Poster
Como Lake - Como Italy

Postby The Ruuk » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Hey Mede,
Are you still in sri lanka ?

Didnt come around :-(

c u around

PepeKiter
Rare Poster
Gear: Core 10qm and a slingshot Board

Postby PepeKiter » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:19 pm

Before I went to Sri Lanka, I was looking for information in the internet and came across this report. After reading it, I spent some time checking out all the offers in the internet. Finally, I made a few notes and left to Sri Lanka with little bit of excitement. Being back, I thought I should do an update on this report to respect what Sri Lanka has to offer.
Since my budget was limited, I took the train from Negamob to Puthlam and got off in Palavi. From there, I took a Tuk Tuk to Kalpitiya. Having arrived in Kalpitiya, I spoke to a few locals and asked them if they could recommend a place to stay right next to the water. One of the Tuk Tuk drivers then informed me about a resort called Ruuk Village which opened a few weeks ago. He offered to take me there.
At the resort, I was offered a brand new wooden cabana for 17€ with breakfast. And since the village was right by the main lagoon, I wanted to stay there for at least two nights until I would eventually find something cheaper.
After meeting the guy who manages the place, he made me an offer that I could not resist :). So I ended up staying with Ruuk Village for two weeks in total.

The team took great care in arranging my early morning trips to the kite school next door where I took my lessons (Ruuk Village arranges this for you). And whenever I wanted to come back for a break, I only had to call one of the team members to come and pick me from the other side of the lagoon. (I had to pay small fee for this service).
The team even arranges Island trips at very fair prices where you can kite around a lonely island (this is a bit expensive but if you have at least 4 kiters who want to do the island trip, then its affordable).
When there was no wind, the team made arrangements for me to go to the city or even to Wilpatthu national park which is about 90 mins drive by road. The best part was my visit to Pinnawala Elephant orphanage which is about 2,5 hours by road followed by Kandy Temple.
Every now and then I went for a drink to the next door kite school (about 2 km) and did have a bit of evening entertainment but Kalpitiya does not offer any night life as you know it from Egypt or from Morrocco.
Kalpitiya is still a developing village, and this makes it more attractive for travelers like me, who want to enjoy authenticity. Maybe in few years to come, Kalpitiya might develop into a another party hub, but personally I hope this is not going happen.
All in all it was a positive experience and I would recommend anyone with a small budget to try "Ruuk Village".

mondy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kalpitiya Lagoon
Sri Lanka all over
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya Lagoon
Sri Lanka all over
Style: waves
Gear: Nobile Kiteboarding, Ultimate Kiteboarding, Zian Kiteboarding
Brand Affiliation: Nobile Kiteboarding, Ultimate Kiteboarding, Zian Kiteboarding

Postby mondy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:30 pm

If you come to kalpitiya don't forget the Rascals Kite Resort!
Properly built cabanas, excellent food, kite school on the lagoon, professional tuition.
Ciaooaoaaooo!

The Ruuk
Rare Poster
Como Lake - Como Italy

Postby The Ruuk » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:13 pm

We have done a small video clip, may be for the ones who are kompletely new to Kalpitiya. This could help. No matter where ever you go, dont forget to try "Pol Sambol" :-))

https://vimeo.com/89198944

http://youtu.be/MlGh0w1zm2I

Ruuk Village is a place where you are surrounded more by nature than humans. Enjoy the spacious coconut farm, watch wild donkeys roam around and dolphins play while world famous kiters roam the flat waters of kalpitiya lagoon. At the end of the day, enjoy a home cooked Sri Lankan rice & curry by candle light. Enjoy luxury in its most natural form! http://www.ruukvillage.com/

#nature #relax #remote #kitesurfing #dolphin #ruukvillage #kalpitiya #srilanka

Music by Yathursan Vakeesan:
https://soundcloud.com/yathursan-vakeesan/

Movie by FILMEREI GmbH:
http://www.filmerei.ch/

The Ruuk
Rare Poster
Como Lake - Como Italy

Postby The Ruuk » Fri May 09, 2014 10:34 pm

Wind is finally here and the season has kicked in….no matter where you go, enjoy Kalpitiya and spread the word. It worth the ride from the airport.

Here some pics.

if you need more infos, even infos about Kalpitiya, don't hesitate to drop us an email, we will surely answer you.
contact@kalpitiya.info or ruukvillage@gmail.com

www.ruukvillage.com/packages

Hangloose….
Attachments
Airport_Pickup.jpg
If you are VW fan wants to travel in this time machine all the way from the airport….just let us know.
Flags.jpg
If you come to the main lagoon of Kalpitiya, look for the red and blue flag, that where we are. Just drop in for a cool beer during your luck break
Wind.jpg
Wind for this week
Wind.jpg (87.18 KiB) Viewed 3989 times

VisitKalpitiya
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kalpitiya, Sethawadiya, Kappalady
Favorite Beaches: Sethawadiya
Style: Free Style
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow,

Postby VisitKalpitiya » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:45 pm

Are you visiting to Kalpitiya and suffering to

- Find a good accommodation at best price ?
- Worrying about transport charges (Airport Taxi) ?
- Trouble in finding a restaurant ?
- Thing about activities and charges ?

Everything you want to know about Kalpitiya is available at http://www.visitkalpitiya.com

We can help you by giving true information to protect you from cheating. Write to us with your expectation, We will give you quatations.

Email - info@visitkalpitiya.com
Whats App - +94774-569589
Web - http://www.visitkalpitiya.com

Return to “Travel”