Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

A Major New Kite From Cabrinha? (Shot w/New Hero3+)

Forum for kitesurfers
markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: A Major New Kite From Cabrinha? (Shot w/New Hero3+)

Postby markchatwin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Except that kite doesn't boost!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:28 pm

I just learned Damien LeRoy is putting on a Cabrinha gear demo tomorrow in Jupiter, FL for folks that want to check things out. There will be other demos in various areas, check with your local retailers for scheduling.

More info HERE

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby OceanAdventures » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:40 pm

We have a few Velocity Kites to demo in our school truck here in Fort Walton Beach.

The 11m is becoming my favorite freeride kite.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:45 pm

Good to know. I wonder how many other schools keep newer kites for demo in their stocks? It is a great advantage to folks looking to check things out.
OceanAdventures wrote:We have a few Velocity Kites to demo in our school truck here in Fort Walton Beach.

The 11m is becoming my favorite freeride kite.

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:53 pm

The down side of this kite and other race kites like the Ozone Edge is durability. Lighter and thinner material does not hold up over the course of a season if you kite a fair amount. Regardless they are fun kites for sure.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Kiteus Maximus wrote:The down side of this kite and other race kites like the Ozone Edge is durability. Lighter and thinner material does not hold up over the course of a season if you kite a fair amount. Regardless they are fun kites for sure.
In my humble opinion the benefit of a lighter weight kite performer wise,
far outweigh the disadvantages of durability for epic light to medium winds :advise: :surf: :sun: :dance3:

DrLW

PS. Rick, awesome view and angle projections from the pictures :clap:
Last edited by DrLightWind on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:18 am

Kite weight makes a huge difference. When i fly my super light wipi freeair from back in teh day - it stays in the sky in way light winds for the obvious reason that it needs less lift to keep it in the sky. Light kites are more responsive too. Compromise is weight vs stability I reckon in order to maintain a predicable rigid frame which is way more important than weight. Hard enough to sell kites in such a saturated market too without having to deal with returns also due to being so fragile.

Will Mylar return?! to kites! - I hope so as long as it isnt shit quality delaminating rubbish.

No Pullies?! for real not one?!

just need to make bridle short enough so impossible to wrap around tip and..... interesting. one day one day....

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:26 am

Kiteus Maximus wrote:The down side of this kite and other race kites like the Ozone Edge is durability. Lighter and thinner material does not hold up over the course of a season if you kite a fair amount. Regardless they are fun kites for sure.
Can't vouch for the Velocity, but my 2011 Dyno (very light race kite construction) is still going strong after 2 years and probably close to 100 sessions. No noticeable wear anywhere on the kite.

Have you had trouble with Ozone edges?

These lightwind kites experience less pressure (force per area) than a smaller kite and don't get rolled in waves or crashed hard, so I don't think the light-weight construction is too big of a deal. If you take your 18m out in 25 knots like Toby though, all bets are off and you'll be going through Dynos like candy :thumb:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:45 am

Thanks Bela, here are some more images from a late session this evening around sunset. The wind was light again, around 12 to 15 mph and dropping near the end after sunset. Some shots follow.

A still shot, shortly after I got off the beach.

A screen grab from video after sunset. I am still playing around with trimming the kite, in light winds as it happens. Usually I wouldn't bother with my short board in these winds but so far so good. This time I attached to the middle pigtail and thought about landing to shift it to the one closest to the kite. Damo was saying he attaches to the outermost knot with good performance. Aside from an incredible skill advantage he is also about 40 lbs. lighter than me! In stronger winds I will try trimming that way and see how I do. Yesterday I did realize some fairly clean added power by attaching to the knots closest to the kite. His concern, a valid one, is oversheeting causing the kite to fly mushy. Sometimes you can correct a bit for this with the trim strap.

A still shot of the day winding down

The sun is down but the colors are really coming out. Another video frame grab.

A still shot of picking up the board after losing an edge. This kite can really load on the speed and power when you are edging even in lighter wind in building gusts. I just dropped a back fin as you can see making this sort of thing easier to have happen.

A frame grab from video about 40 minutes after sunset. I was surprised to see a useable image at this point. Lucked out with a nice colorful sunset.

Hope to get out there for some good wind in the 20 kt. + range, when it is served up of course. Fall winds have been a bit light lately. Good winds ...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:59 am

markchatwin wrote:Except that kite doesn't boost!
Really?

Return to “Kitesurfing”