Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Terrible News from Perth

Postby Dr Makani » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:57 pm

ahhh - this forum at its best, when all the know-it-alls and know-it-better come out. Actually I spent an hour or so reading thru the ORIGINAL forum and associated posts of actual eyewitnesses and people who were trying to help. Very recommended stuff to read.

Let me point out two revelations I had.
First - This pelican point crowd is very tight knitted and friendly. None of the posts were in any kind offensive, narrow minded or to any extend criticizing what the kiter did. Period. That is very impressive to me. This guy was know by a lot of people and obviously knew what he was doing. A memorial fund for him has risen more than $10,000. You can't be an idiot AND be that well respected in a community. Unless you want to call all kiters at this point idiots.

Second - You cannot achieve 100% safety. Life is a terminal condition and accidents will happen in any phase of your life, on any given day and time. Safety is a choice and in best case a risk mitigation. Choices have ramifications and are trades with chances.

<wishful thinking>So, I would love to see that a few of you would tone it down. Instead of writing statements with a lot of exclamation marks one simple question mark behind the same sentence would make much more sense.</wishful thinking>

peace

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:47 am

kiteontario wrote:I'm quite sorry to hear about this tragic accident.

If anything going forward, we can learn from this and hopefully avoid a similar situation happening in the future.

In one post I saw on another forum, it noted he was riding a 9m with gusts over 30knots. Was it close to 30 knots while he was out riding his 9m prior to the accident? Or did it just suddenly creep up to that much wind? I'd be out on a 5m if it was me or not have my kite in the air and wait for it to drop off or pack up and go home.

It was gusting, from high teens to 30 odd, fine for a 9m edge if you know what you are doing, which he did.

What got him was a crazy freak squall which incidentally seemed to hit over a large part of the metro coast, going above 40 knots. Have talked to a few crew who were out at the same or similar time and had to flag and prey.

It was a crazy day though, I went down three times and drove home three times. I just couldn't pick one size that would cover the wind speed changes.

It was a combination of a number of factors that did the job, not just the wind speed changes.

The fund is well above 20k and being someone who attended his funeral it was plain to see this was a huge loss to his friends, the kiting community and of course his family. A well liked person who gave a lot of himself to those around him.

dusta
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby dusta » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:57 am

Dr Makani wrote:ahhh - this forum at its best, when all the know-it-alls and know-it-better come out. Actually I spent an hour or so reading thru the ORIGINAL forum and associated posts of actual eyewitnesses and people who were trying to help. Very recommended stuff to read.

Let me point out two revelations I had.
First - This pelican point crowd is very tight knitted and friendly. None of the posts were in any kind offensive, narrow minded or to any extend criticizing what the kiter did. Period. That is very impressive to me. This guy was know by a lot of people and obviously knew what he was doing. A memorial fund for him has risen more than $10,000. You can't be an idiot AND be that well respected in a community. Unless you want to call all kiters at this point idiots.

Second - You cannot achieve 100% safety. Life is a terminal condition and accidents will happen in any phase of your life, on any given day and time. Safety is a choice and in best case a risk mitigation. Choices have ramifications and are trades with chances.

<wishful thinking>So, I would love to see that a few of you would tone it down. Instead of writing statements with a lot of exclamation marks one simple question mark behind the same sentence would make much more sense.</wishful thinking>

peace
thanks for those thoughts dr makani , I started the fund for Marc's son and to date we have raised $22,570 AUD to go into a trust fund for his son . He was a colourful character who was larger than life . We have had people even donating money from the united states which has really touched the family . He was on a 9m Jekyl pure and for his skill ability it was perfectly fine for those conditions .

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:28 am

Oh jekyl, sorry dusta, thought he was on the edge.

23 odd K, brilliant! Good job mate.

Return to “Kitesurfing”