Forum for kitesurfers
Larry Pinta
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 12m/8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Issue with IDS deploying on cabrinha switchblade 2013

Postby Larry Pinta » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:10 am

In the Turks & Caicos on brand new 2013 cabrinha crossbow. Measured all my lines and became familiar with qr1/qr2 back home before I left. In the water today super light so thought I would practice. I released the chicken loop anticipating the IDS line would trigger. I ended up with about two feet of IDS line and the kite still powered. I had to pull in the kite via IDS under load and then clipped the chicken loop back in. There was no complete deposed in the kite. I went to attempt a self land and could not get kite to flag in IDS. The bar just sat about 6 feet away and I was attached to the IDS and the kite was downwind pulling me into the beach.

Any ideas? I have a 12m and 8m and coming off Naish. Not super stoked I can't flag my kite. Brand new kite and bar/lines.

Please pass on your advice. I spoke to guys at Neil pryde Maui - great service they encouraged me to take the bar apart to see if there is a jam. Anyone have a PDF or video on this?

Thanks

DC

XMitja
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Xiamen
Been thanked: 0

Re: Issue with IDS deploying on cabrinha switchblade 2013

Postby XMitja » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:20 am

that can happen in very light conditions, there's not enough pull for the line to go further without manually pushing it away, no need to take anything apart

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:40 am

Was the IDS line wrapped around the erm other line? If they are twisted around each other, they can bind when releasing the QR.

If nothing is obviously wrong, lay the bar and lines out on the ground. Secure the CL and then release the QR and manually walk the system through it's range of function and see where it's binding...

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:14 am

If the bar is six feet away and you are attached to landing line via chicken loop, that would mean there is no tension in back lines and you are holding kite by leading edge only. Sounds flagged to me. You may need to walk towards kite a tad to get it to flip over so it has almost zero pull.
I have self landed using landind line at least twenty times and never had a problem.
I also have Ocean Rodeo kites that have a simalar rollover bridal. When you deploy safety kite does not always rollover but the pull is manageable.
Cabs Ids system was around for about four years and has proven to be a good , safe ,system.
That being said they have switched over to a one line flag system. So maybe they saw some room for improvement. IMO the cab bar is a thing of beauty. Slick and uncluttered but loaded with features.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:30 am

Don't the ids go 3 yards not 2 feet sounds jammed somewhere

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:25 am

Larry,
Once deploying QR1, always pull yourself up the ids line and continue to push the bar away the full length of the IDS line. This will enable the kite to be "flagged out". Then complete the standard self rescue/self land process.
Nothing sounds wrong with your bar, as there is in many cases a bit of light friction which stops the bar sliding to the end of the IDS line when initially releasing QR1... In light winds it is possible that the kite will not have completely rolled over in the U position or leading edge down when you have the bar the full length of the IDS line. In this case just swim or walk towards the kite a foot or two. This will allow the kite to complete the "flag out". The IDS system is an awesome flag out system and can be used in all wind conditions. I have done hundreds of self rescues/lands on the IDS systems since the IDS introduction in 2009 and "knock on wood", never has there been an issue. Practice the self rescue/land process a few more times and you will see how predictable and consistent the system is.

heinzbush
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby heinzbush » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:54 am

Larry Pinta wrote:I released the chicken loop anticipating the IDS line would trigger. I ended up with about two feet of IDS line and the kite still powered. I had to pull in the kite via IDS under load and then clipped the chicken loop back in.

Just to be clear, what do you mean by "released the chicken loop"... If you just unhook the chicken loop, the kite will not flag since your leash is not attached to a "flagging line" but the ring that spins...

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:37 pm

It could be that there was a bit of a twist in the lines. You need to use the swivel above the chickenloop to untwist lines if any twists happen.

It could be that the wind was too light to pull the bar up the line for the full distance (which I think is about 3m). You can see in this video that the bar doesn't go all the way out immediately but does later because there is more pull on the back lines then.

It would be possible for the line to jam but if the bar got to 6' away it didn't have much further to travel to be completely flagged out so it sounds more like there may have been a twist.

The IDS will work if there is no emergency just by pulling the centrelines to you until you reach the bottom of the front lines. That's useful to remember if you ever do have a problem with the IDS.

Its what I do when I am finishing a session and I can land the kite on the water.
I use this by setting the kite at or below 45 degrees but pull the centre lines down fast instead of operating the Q/R.
The plastic tube is quite slippy when new though so it can be difficult to get past the bottom part to the bottom of the trim bungees - which reminds me that I have to give the tube a light sanding with very fine emery paper.

Larry Pinta
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 12m/8m

Postby Larry Pinta » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks for all the feedback.

Here are the steps I took the kite fell out of the sky as the wind was light. I was having problems relaunching so thought I would try to self land as I was in onshore winds and not too far from the beach. My bar was released at this time and the kite was directly downwind of me with a slight pull perhaps dragging me if I wasn't standing in waist dee water. I wanted to release the pressure and land my kite so I released the chicken loop QR1. The IDS line came out maybe two feet and stopped the kite had exact same pull and was starting to pull me towards the beach. The kite did not change profile at all still downwind in relaunch position. I could still reach the bar so I redid my chicken loop and in a gust relaunched my kite. I was able to find someone to land my kite. There was no flagging that occurred. I am used to my Naish or Ocean Rodeo where there is compete kill of the kite, session over etc.

Doubts like either too light if wind, twist or jam. For a twist I have to spin the QR mechanism before releasing?

Thanks

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Larry Pinta wrote:For a twist I have to spin the QR mechanism before releasing?

Thanks
Yes. That's what it's for :) do it often while you're riding and it'll be ready in an emergency.

Return to “Kitesurfing”