violinistapazzo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Teaching all over the world
Gear: Cabrinha FX and DRIFTER, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Rrd Obsession 15m

Postby violinistapazzo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi, someone has some experience or feedback about the Rrd Obsession 15m?
Some recent reviews?
There is a real difference from the 12m or the 13.5m? Does it have the delta grunt dragging you downwind like a truck? (because I don't like those kind of kites)...
Is going to be good for high jumps and old school? Good hang time?
I really couldn't find anything interesting about it on the web...
Thank you
Nic
Last edited by violinistapazzo on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rrd Obsession 15m

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 am

violinistapazzo wrote:Hi, someone has some experience or feedback about the Rrd Obsession 15m?
Some recent reviews?
Are you asking about 2013 or 2014?
My 15 just came in but it's been cranking so haven't tried it yet.
violinistapazzo wrote: There is a real difference from the 12m or the 13.5m? Does it have the delta grunt dragging you downwind like a truck with heavy bar pressure?
Is going to be good for high jumps and old school? Good hang time?
I really couldn't find anything interesting about it on the web...
Thank you
Nic
I have a 2012 13.5 and I know it was definitely different from the 2012. The 13.5 allowed me to kite in some light winds and upwinded exceptionally well as long as the lulls where not incredibly long. In higher winds, 15-20 mph it was great for boosting. I used to focus a lot on boosting but now I've gone with playing around on the surfboard and it allows me to spin 2-3 times with the surfboard in hand if that gives you any indication. I've taken the 2012 15m out as well in light winds and mid teens and had a blast. If you are experiencing lots of bar pressure, you ought to tune your lines. I only feel a lot of bar pressure when I'm at the high end wind speed for whichever size.

The hang time is definitely there if you fly powered up or lit. If you are kiting towards the low end, I think it serves best as a freestyle performer. Where I'm from the wind tends to increase quite a bit every down so I do freestyle early on, if I don't want to switch kites when the wind picks up, I just boost. The smaller sizes definitely boost really well. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions. I'll try and get a concise review soon on my 12 and 15.

violinistapazzo
Medium Poster

Postby violinistapazzo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 am

ok, thank you for the infos...but how many kg you are?
You say are very different...so which year do you recommend?

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:14 pm

I weigh about 140-145 lbs so I think that puts me at about 64 kg or so? I don't know which year I'd recommend. The 2013s are I think have a larger diameter leading edge and added leader lines and pig tails to the kite itself. Also the bar had no swivel I think and no O-shit handles. Slightly more bar pressure as well.

I think the 2013 bars in shipment now have gone back to swivels and do have oh shit handles too. At least the bar I just got does. I like the 2012s a lot. I flew a 2013 9 yesterday in about 20-32 mph yesterday and had no problem boosting. Bar pressure was high but I could have been on a 7 meter easy. I think you'd be happy on 2012, 2013 0r 2014. I think you need to figure out sizes to pick out though. If you got a 15, you probably wouldn't need the 13.5. 15/12/9/7 is a good setup. 7/10.5/13.5 works pretty well too, but somedays my 13.5 just wasn't enough and a 15 would have helped. In 8-12 mph on a big board, my 13.5 worked as well as the 15 and even the zypher. On a smaller board, it was not working as well.

violinistapazzo
Medium Poster

Postby violinistapazzo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Thank you for your feedback...I think I'll go for the 15m...

healeyg
Medium Poster

Postby healeyg » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:08 am

Hey PVIT -

Quick question. I am new to RRD and am thinking about the 2014 Obsession.

How would a 7-10.5-15 quiver work in your opinion?
Obviously a 7-9-12-15 quiver would be better, but what do you think about the 3 kites above?

Thanks

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:41 pm

For sure the 7-10.5-15 quiver would be good depending on your weight and typical winds at your location of course. The 7-9-12-15 would be better but for three kites, that should do the trick. The 10.5 is very capable and a favorite of mine as well as the guys I kite with. I'm pretty lightweight so with some skill, I have flown it against 14s and 15s but have also managed well in 7 meter weather numerous times. It can really do a great job to bridge that 7-15 meter gap and is a great substitute for a 9 meter and 12 meter. I think the 2014 bars are out by now. I ordered myself a 2013 bar which unexpectedly came with a swivel and oh shit handles, thankfully though. oh shit handles saved my kites in 2012.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Paolo

healeyg
Medium Poster

Postby healeyg » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:30 am

Let us know how the 12m rides...

Return to “Kitesurfing”