Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

foilboarding vs raceboarding??

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??

Postby Bille » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:19 am

Hawaiis wrote:I don't think foil boards are faster in absolute speed,
but the up wind angle is higher, so the VMG is higher.


DUDE ... , nothing personal here but --- :lol:

Foils have So much "LESS" Drag, it ain't even Funny .

Check this human Vs Human :



Bille

User avatar
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Kiting since: 9
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:41 am

Bille wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:I don't think foil boards are faster in absolute speed,
but the up wind angle is higher, so the VMG is higher.


DUDE ... , nothing personal here but --- :lol:

Foils have So much "LESS" Drag, it ain't even Funny .

Check this human Vs Human :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 95UReP4mdo

Bille

The hydrofoil has more drag than the race fins.
It is however the drag that translate into higher upwind angle.

User avatar
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??

Postby Bille » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 am

Hawaiis wrote:
Bille wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:I don't think foil boards are faster in absolute speed,
but the up wind angle is higher, so the VMG is higher.


DUDE ... , nothing personal here but --- :lol:

Foils have So much "LESS" Drag, it ain't even Funny .

Check this human Vs Human :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 95UReP4mdo

Bille

The hydrofoil has more drag than the race fins.
It is however the drag that translate into higher upwind angle.


I'll buy that Last one, but are you forgetting about the Rest of that
board attached to those Fins ?

Have Ya ever sailed on a Catamaran ? The moment you lift the windward
hull out of the water, Ya go a LOT Faster !!

Bille

User avatar
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Kiting since: 9
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:50 am

The race fins on the raceboards are foils too, they are just positioned more vertical.
During the race, they actually create enough force to skim on the surface of the water.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1921
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:34 pm

Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??

Postby Tone » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:27 am

Hawaiis wrote:The race fins on the raceboards are foils too, they are just positioned more vertical.
During the race, they actually create enough force to skim on the surface of the water.


A race board with over 2m square of board hitting the water all the time is NOT more efficient than a foil.

User avatar
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Kiting since: 9
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:15 pm

Tone wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:The race fins on the raceboards are foils too, they are just positioned more vertical.
During the race, they actually create enough force to skim on the surface of the water.


A race board with over 2m square of board hitting the water all the time is NOT more efficient than a foil.

This is how it's done.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.9 KiB) Viewed 685 times

User avatar
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??

Postby Bille » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Hawaiis wrote:
Tone wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:The race fins on the raceboards are foils too, they are just positioned more vertical.
During the race, they actually create enough force to skim on the surface of the water.


A race board with over 2m square of board hitting the water all the time is NOT more efficient than a foil.

This is how it's done.




Look at the cavitation wake, coming off the back of your fins , (there almost is None) .

Now look behind your board about 5-8 ft and notice the rather Large amount
of turbulence on the surface of the water ; then tell us all, what were gonna figure
was the reason your board got up in the air ? -------------------------------------it bounced.

If you want ME to believe what your saying, then show the Same shot without
that turbulence behind the board and i'll believe it.

Bille

User avatar
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Kiting since: 9
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:00 pm

It's all because of that stupid box rule that handicapped the raceboards. With long enough fins, the raceboard would levitate like a foilboard

User avatar
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??

Postby Bille » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:05 pm

Hawaiis wrote:... With long enough fins, the raceboard would levitate like a foilboard


I Totally See that ; i just looked at the angle of your fins again, as there "Just" slightly
tilted towards down-wind, which would LIFT the board.

You Don't need another shot ; i believe you now.

Perhaps that is the reason WHY they made that rule ?

Bille

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:59 am
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??

Postby ozchrisb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 am

Bille wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:... With long enough fins, the raceboard would levitate like a foilboard


I Totally See that ; i just looked at the angle of your fins again, as there "Just" slightly
tilted towards down-wind, which would LIFT the board.

You Don't need another shot ; i believe you now.

Perhaps that is the reason WHY they made that rule ?

Bille

Fins on a raceboard can be up to 50cm. Most people run three fins from 35 - 40cm. There's still a lot of development that could happen in raceboard fins.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 18 guests