Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Bighorn Snowkite Summit!...Jackson Hole Kiters...

Forum for snow- and landkiters
knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Bighorn Snowkite Summit!...Jackson Hole Kiters...

Postby knewschool » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:45 pm

2014 North American Season Opener!

Event Website
http://jhmountainkite.com/big-horn-event/

Although everyone is invited space is limited and the main lodge and cabins are full. We've already created an overflow list and are considering alternative lodging and snow support. If we can come up with a large enough overflow we may be able to offer snow support to transport people from the bear lodge, and anyone willing to drive from Lovell can meet at the road closure (if it's closed) at a designated time for a ride to the terrain. If you have touring gear you're looking at a mile skin from the Lovell side before you can launch. Camping is available as well. We will update you with this.

We're asking for the land kite community to post topics, concerns, and perspectives they would like discussed and we will post any conclusions and ideas from these discussions.

Thanks!

- Jackson Hole Kiters

kite_wyoming
Rare Poster

Re: The Bighorn Snowkite Summit!...Jackson Hole Kiters...

Postby kite_wyoming » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:57 pm

[b]Update![/b] The High Country Lodge is booked to capacity for the Bighorn Snowkite Summit. We’re so excited that so many people are coming! Here are additional lodging options for the event:

In Lovell, WY –
Western Motel , 307-548-2781 – offering 25% discount off nightly & weekly rates
Horseshoe Bend Motel , 307-548-2221 - $68/night single or $78/night double
Econo Inn, 307-548-2725 - $45/night single or $55/night double, ask for Anita or Jesse

Lovell is approximately 35 miles west of the location of the Bighorn Snowkite Summit. Parking will be available at the Crystal Creek rest area, & over-snow shuttles will be provided to & from the kite site each day. A snowmobile is advantageous, but not necessary.

In Dayton, WY –
Bear Lodge, 307-752-2444 – offering 20% off nightly rates with a room block held for the event. The Bear Lodge is located 15 miles east of the Bighorn Snowkite Summit. The road is closed west of the Bear Lodge, so a snowmobile will be required for transportation – ask about nightly rates that include snowmobile rental.

For all attendees who are staying off-site, gear storage will be available at the High Country Lodge, “basecamp” for the Summit. Additionally, breakfast, lunch & dinner at the Lodge will be available to off-site attendees. An RSVP is required if you are staying off-site & would like to take advantage of meals.

If you are interested in getting on the wait list for lodging at the High Country Lodge, or have other questions, please contact Virginia Symons at 307-413-0174 or virginia@vibranteventsjh.com

catsh16
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby catsh16 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:11 am

Any updates on the event?

I'd like to come up and bring some demo gear on behalf of UpSki (UpSki.com).
Is that ok?
Thanks - Kevin kevin@UpSki.com

knewschool
Medium Poster

Postby knewschool » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:21 am

We just got back from the Bighorns. Here's a few picture from yesterday. We had a 3 day spell of kiting everyday waking up on Sunday to a full blanket of powder over the entire mountain. We had a great crew up there staying at the lodge enjoying every second of the great conditions. If you weren't excited before, you should be now!

Catsh16, we'd be stoked to check out the Upski. Send an email to bighornsnowkitesummit@gmail.com letting us know when you'd like to come and we'll see what we can do! It's an Ozone sponsored event but everyone is welcome and I've seen you pull some nice climbs with an Upski on the web!
Attachments
_MG_9841.JPG
_MG_9787.JPG
IMG_9336.JPG
IMG_9388.JPG
_MG_9847.JPG
_MG_9815.JPG
IMG_9353.JPG
IMG_9322.JPG
IMG_9309.JPG

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby rvrrat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:19 am

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o WOW

kylek
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro, Kobyashi
Favorite Beaches: Guajiru, Salvo
Gear: old north stuff

Postby kylek » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:57 am

Very nice pictures, thank you. Wow that was some good wind and great snow on Sunday. Great to meet you guys, looking forward to riding with y'all more! Work may preclude me from joining you at the Summit, we'll see, Im sure conditions will be spectacular.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:30 pm

If anyone is planning to camp up at the parking area on the Lovell side - you'll have to plan something else. The forest service will not allow camping there. No exceptions & since its a permitted event they will be there to enforce. Basically, there is no where to legally camp near the event. Snowmobile in from Bear Lodge or stay in Lovell. Possibly, a person may be able to camp down at the bottom of the mtn on BLM land but I haven't talked to anyone in that office yet.

knewschool
Medium Poster

Postby knewschool » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Lewmt,

It's true you cannot camp at Crystal Creek parking at the event even though we've all camped there before, and they will probably want to enforce it for this week. However, you can camp on any non posted National Forrest Land as long as it's 300' away from any road. You can camp right at the Wyoming High Country Lodge and I hear they're asking $40 a day, which includes bathrooms, showers, 3 meals a day, and a Lodge to hang out in. I'm not sure exactly where the border of the Wyoming High Country Lodge and NF property is, but it's closer than Crystal Creek for sure. For warmer camping I know there's BLM camping somewhere near the Bighorn Reservoir at the base of the BH range for free as well.

If you called the FS and asked about camping, I'm guessing they assumed you weren't going to sleep on the snow so didn't offer the fact that you can sleep nearly anywhere but Crystal Creek, as long as it's National Forrest Land...Please use "no trace" camping practices.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm not sure if there is anything accessible with a camper/5th wheel/ motorhome near the top of the mtn that would fulfill that 300' requirement. For sure I will look when I come up but mostly I didn't want folks to think it was good for camping up there & then have folks get ticketed. I used to tent camp in snow a lot & maybe I'm getting old & sissypants but it doesn't have the appeal it once did. The lodge's offer for meals & showers & camp space has me thinking though. Would beat the torn-up meandering down the moutain to my camper. There are options on the BLM lands below - its just a winding 4000' route that could get ugly for folks unable to contain their enthusiasm after epic kiting and afterhours at the lodge.

whiteout
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: All kinds of kites

Postby whiteout » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:36 pm

nice pow shots.

did you say it is a 1-2mile hike in to kite and back out to camp? or snowcave or cuddle with a grizzly? can you leave your car at the parking spot overnight?

Return to “Snow / Land”