*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:19 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Posts: 1765
Hawaiis wrote:
I don't think foil boards are faster in absolute speed,
but the up wind angle is higher, so the VMG is higher.


DUDE ... , nothing personal here but --- :lol:

Foils have So much "LESS" Drag, it ain't even Funny .

Check this human Vs Human :



Bille


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:41 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 1021
Bille wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:
I don't think foil boards are faster in absolute speed,
but the up wind angle is higher, so the VMG is higher.


DUDE ... , nothing personal here but --- :lol:

Foils have So much "LESS" Drag, it ain't even Funny .

Check this human Vs Human :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 95UReP4mdo

Bille

The hydrofoil has more drag than the race fins.
It is however the drag that translate into higher upwind angle.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Posts: 1765
Hawaiis wrote:
Bille wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:
I don't think foil boards are faster in absolute speed,
but the up wind angle is higher, so the VMG is higher.


DUDE ... , nothing personal here but --- :lol:

Foils have So much "LESS" Drag, it ain't even Funny .

Check this human Vs Human :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 95UReP4mdo

Bille

The hydrofoil has more drag than the race fins.
It is however the drag that translate into higher upwind angle.


I'll buy that Last one, but are you forgetting about the Rest of that
board attached to those Fins ?

Have Ya ever sailed on a Catamaran ? The moment you lift the windward
hull out of the water, Ya go a LOT Faster !!

Bille


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:50 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 1021
The race fins on the raceboards are foils too, they are just positioned more vertical.
During the race, they actually create enough force to skim on the surface of the water.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:27 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:34 pm
Posts: 1474
Hawaiis wrote:
The race fins on the raceboards are foils too, they are just positioned more vertical.
During the race, they actually create enough force to skim on the surface of the water.


A race board with over 2m square of board hitting the water all the time is NOT more efficient than a foil.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:15 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 1021
Tone wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:
The race fins on the raceboards are foils too, they are just positioned more vertical.
During the race, they actually create enough force to skim on the surface of the water.


A race board with over 2m square of board hitting the water all the time is NOT more efficient than a foil.

This is how it's done.


Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 49.9 KIB | Viewed 388 times ]
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:26 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Posts: 1765
Hawaiis wrote:
Tone wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:
The race fins on the raceboards are foils too, they are just positioned more vertical.
During the race, they actually create enough force to skim on the surface of the water.


A race board with over 2m square of board hitting the water all the time is NOT more efficient than a foil.

This is how it's done.




Look at the cavitation wake, coming off the back of your fins , (there almost is None) .

Now look behind your board about 5-8 ft and notice the rather Large amount
of turbulence on the surface of the water ; then tell us all, what were gonna figure
was the reason your board got up in the air ? -------------------------------------it bounced.

If you want ME to believe what your saying, then show the Same shot without
that turbulence behind the board and i'll believe it.

Bille


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:00 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 1021
It's all because of that stupid box rule that handicapped the raceboards. With long enough fins, the raceboard would levitate like a foilboard


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:05 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Posts: 1765
Hawaiis wrote:
... With long enough fins, the raceboard would levitate like a foilboard


I Totally See that ; i just looked at the angle of your fins again, as there "Just" slightly
tilted towards down-wind, which would LIFT the board.

You Don't need another shot ; i believe you now.

Perhaps that is the reason WHY they made that rule ?

Bille


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: foilboarding vs raceboarding??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:59 am
Posts: 161
Bille wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:
... With long enough fins, the raceboard would levitate like a foilboard


I Totally See that ; i just looked at the angle of your fins again, as there "Just" slightly
tilted towards down-wind, which would LIFT the board.

You Don't need another shot ; i believe you now.

Perhaps that is the reason WHY they made that rule ?

Bille

Fins on a raceboard can be up to 50cm. Most people run three fins from 35 - 40cm. There's still a lot of development that could happen in raceboard fins.


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aeberl, Ernesto, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], juandesooka, nicor and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group