Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Issue with IDS deploying on cabrinha switchblade 2013

Postby experienced1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:28 am

Larry P:

The problem you experienced happens when the wind is light. The bar does not travel to the end of the IDS line. Got to remember how the IDS works. When you hook your center lines to the pigtails on the bridle, there is also a stainless slide. When you activate the QR1, the power from all 4 lines is transferred to the IDS and therefore the two center lines. When there is wind (tension) the slides slide up the bridle towards the LE and center of the kite. At the same time the bar slides up the IDS line taking all the power out of the outside lines. So, when the wind is light, the slides don't slide and the bar doesn't ravel far enough to reduce the tension on the outside lines. When this happens try:
1) give the IDS line a good yank to see if you can get the slides to slide to the LE
2) then go up the IDS line and keep pushing your bar towards the end of the IDS line
3) might also take a couple of steps, or swim a couple of strokes towards the kite. this should reduce tension on the lines and allow the kite to roll on it's back..further reducing power.

Try your QR1 when you have wind to see how it works properly. Easier to test in shallow water.
FYI: another poster indicated that a single line flagging system will work on your kite. This is true; just need to make sure the flagging line is the proper length.

Hope this is helpful...
steve

Jdude
Medium Poster
Style: newschool
Gear: Xenon + Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Jdude » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:41 am

If i had bought an Epic or Blade or even a North kite and post a topic on KF that i have issues with my safety system i would have got an official response from Dimitri, Yoav, or Dan... but still nothing from Cabrinha here, and i am confident that someone from Cab is watching this thread.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:22 am

Because of the shape of the leading edge not all IDS kites drop on their backs as easily. The bow shaped LE kites tend to do it the best.

You can see him pull the IDS line at 32 seconds in this. I think the idea is that if you have a kite that may require you to walk towards it or swim towards it to get it to drop fully onto its back, you can pull in the IDS line so the kite lands closer to you on its LE and as soon at it touches down, let go of the IDS line and that puts slack in the front lines and lets the kite fall on its back.
Its a bit like replicating a better shaped LE for the IDS.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:49 pm

edt wrote:
RichardM wrote:In the case of the safety line moving through choke points, one consideration might be the LENGTH of line which must pass through the choke point because the longer said length is, the more opportunity exists for a problem to develop.
The longer the line either redline mini 5th or single line flagging, the safer it is. for a single line flagging system you need wingtip distance to safely flag a kite. If you set the distance shorter than normal, say 8 meters instead of the more normal 10 meters, on a light wind kite you can cause a flag out failure because the distance is too short. On a redline mini 5th system like a 2013 cabrinha or best, if the redline is too short for a kite it might have a bit of tension on the rear lines and never flip into the "U" position and completely depower. The over riding consideration here is the safety of the control bar, and this means the longer length of line is going to be safer that's just how the control bars work.

Shorter length of line thru the control system is one indication that the bar might not be safe with all types of kites.

I thought you had in mind a specific control bar, I am familiar with most of the control bars out there, which is why I didn't understand your criticism of the small holes the safety system lines have to pass through -- except for 5 line bars they all have this particular limitation.

Most of the older control bars were awful they learned a lot in the last ten years about safety. But nearly all of the modern bars especially 2013 are very good.

Larry if you don't like the way the cabrinha bar works you can always use your old bar if you want, it should be fine to use a single center line flagging bar on a cabrinha kite.
Will the single line flagging 2014 Cab bar work on all years of the Cab IDS kites?

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:25 pm

It flyer 381
Yes...
Steve

Larry Pinta
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 12m/8m

Postby Larry Pinta » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:32 am

Hi Steve,

I will try out those steps. When I did qr1 and was attached via IDS line there was lots of pull from the two outside lines to the point no way I could have walked up the IDS line. I guess if I walked or swam it would have flipped on its back and then it would have been possible?

In the video it shows the 2012 IDS so not same bar but wondering about self rescue. I would assume you could pull in a bunch of the IDS line and then wrap bar and then wrap remaining lines. In the video it shows the rider dump bar, unhook from chicken loop and walk/swim up the IDS line to the kite. Is that still preferred?

I never pulled QR2 during my session as I assumed the IDS needs me to be attached still.

Thanks

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:53 am

At the top end of the wind range with IDS deployed, if the kite is in the U position it can yo-yo up and down in the air with enough pull to make it more difficult to wind the lines on. It has a similar amount of pull as the kite would have if you were holding it by the LE plus a little bit more when it is in the air.
I haven't actually tried this yet but the kite has the least pull when it is touching the water, so if it was directly downwind in the U position and unlikely to flip over and was yo-yoing, I would get to the bar and let out just a little of the IDS line to just take the slack off the rear lines and no more, so the kite stayed on the water. If you let out enough IDS line to put tension on the rear lines, there is a risk that the nose will deform up off the water and the kite will invert and take off - so don't tension the rear lines.

Then wind the IDS line on the bar, then wind all 4 lines on the bar. If its in the U position in strong wind you may have to just wind the bar end over end.

In this video (skip to 2 minutes in) I'm surprised if the kite flipped over into the parked position when so downwind in the U position. Usually it will do that from more to the side of the window.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:56 am

The 2011 SB from my experience would flip over leading edge down majority of the time, once the IDS activated, regardless of where it was positioned in the window. Leading edge down was my preference especially in very strong winds.

Return to “Kitesurfing”