Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Self Launch Anchor Technique Problem

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Self Launch Anchor Technique Problem

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:23 pm

A good kite will never take off by itself, even if placed far downwind :naughty:

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark (meaning, you've done something wrong if the kite takes off by itself...)

8) Peter

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby noel » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:07 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
noel wrote: What? Too far upwind and the kite falls back.
I believe i wrote falls over and down on it's LE.....did not say kite falls back

Placing a kite on it's wingtip too upwind means the wind will push on the outside of the canopy

....and the kite will go over...pushed down by the wind...and that is not what he did

As we recall the wind speed during his incident was @15 mph

He just had his kite balancing on wingtip way too downwind of the sweet spot....that's why it took off
I understand what you are saying. Only the word "what" had a question mark. The next sentence was a statement, thus the period at the end instead of a question mark. I didn't say you said something that you didn't say. :wink:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:23 pm

noel wrote: I understand what you are saying. Only the word "what" had a question mark.
OK all good then..........:cheers:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:35 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: A good kite will never take off by itself, even if placed far downwind
8) Peter
I was told once to never say never :wink:

Define far downwind...do you mean...30 degrees downwind of ideal location.....45 degrees ? more ?

Bet a good kite fully depowered & anchored could self launch itself if far enough downwind

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:17 am

Peter_Frank wrote:A good kite
I think you need to define "good" here, my fuels or actually any 4 line c kite will definitely pop into the air unless they are being actively flown. There is a characteristic of a lot bridled kites that handle well from an anchor but I wouldn't necessarily call it "good" or "bad" just a type of kite.

I agree btw that something was wrong with the kite in this example, pressure on the bar, twig in the lines wingtip wrap something like that.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:57 am

Let me rephrase it then, and call it a "typical" kite wont hot launch:

I dont think any kite will "hot launch" actually, not even C kites - even if set on its side further down the window (but I dont know...)
Except for the autozenith kite like the Arcs :wink:

99% of the kites (SLE kites) will not, thats for sure - not even if set deep in the window :thumb:
On the contrary :rollgrin:

When you put a kite deeper, on its side - then the upper part of the kite will seek forward, and the lower part will have resistance on the ground - thus you get a kite that sits extremely stable actually, pressed firmly against the ground, deeper in the window :naughty:

Almost on the verge to be pressed LE down (and happens if wind drops a lot - gusty, but not dangerous)

Many of us experience this daily - even when landing.
Small windshifts and gusty winds, will have the kite bounce a bit back, deeper in the window - and it will get stuck more and more now, so it sits really good and stable fixed down there.

Great actually, as it minimizes any risk, and no bouncing at all.

Most of us experience the same when launching I think - we place the kite on its side, walk back to the bar, hook in and remove the anchor line - and when we are about to launch the kite, it has pinched itself a bit more downwind, so you have to either walk downwind ourselves a bit to free the kite, or pull the upper line hard in order to "free" the kite and get it up.

I havent seen a C kite hotlaunching either, but so rare to see these nowadays, and because of the tumble risk (that requires a lot of space downwind, which we dont have) I dont see anyone anchor launching C kites, except when really stable wind.

How many have had their C kite hotlaunch when doing an anchor launch ?
And most important - having this happen where they are SURE the bar havent got stuck in the ground or similar ?

Still - the anchor method is perfect for SLE kites that has a bit of sweep, like they all have it seems.
Bridles or not, does not matter.
Classic non swept C kites not good for anchor launching, and hardly ever seen because of that.

8) Peter

masterred
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sottomarina (Ve) North-est Italy
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Style: Foiler
Gear: Ozone Chrono 15 v3- Ozone Enduro v2 9- Ozone Alpha 12 - Groove Boards - Hydro Board Hybrid 5.3-Hf Moses Onda 633
Brand Affiliation: Hydrofoil News

Postby masterred » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:45 am

with my new Cronix self l is fantastic !
1230025_10202014368110843_1984752046_n.jpg
ciao

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:32 am

Ah the chronix there it is. My mate and I only commented last night we haven't heard much about this kite since its first was introduced...

Ha ha the Peter Lynn arcs I remember those, you could walk up the beach with your lines over your shoulder and not even look at the kite. Shame about its incredibly narrow wind range.

I think we may have got this subject covered now don't you think? :D

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:55 am

I have been looking at this setup. Very interested to see how this option will hold up over time since it is simply a cloth pocket and a needle. Being triggered by the bridle, I wonder what happens if it rocks side to side or twists while parked in gusty conditions, would it pull the needle? Its a design that wouldn't seem to have a high reliability or give the pilot complete control over the release. At least its a good attempt by the industry.
:advise:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:49 pm

peter an anchored c kite will pop up even in smooth wind, both tumbling and hot launching or just drifting downwind and then zooming up and around the other side one reason I never anchor launch if there is any other option.

Return to “Kitesurfing”