Forum for kitesurfers
speedyRider
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Info on Barra grande Piau

Postby speedyRider » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:29 am

Hi guys im heading to cumbuco in the middle of november and id like to get info to spend a week or so at barra grande. my questions

is it worthy? i know its 6-7 hours to get there
how many knots would i expect? 25-30? more like 15-20? is it gusty or constant wind? i really want to practice unhooked freestyle there and maybe progress a bit
whats the best way to get there from cumbuco or Taiba?

Any info will be appreciated, i searched here but didnt find so many info on this.

Many thanks

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010

Re: Info on Barra grande Piau

Postby AlexandreBorges » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Nothing different in Barra Grande. Stay in Cumbuco.

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:11 pm

I liked it a lot in Barra.

For my taste, much better than Cumbucu (but then, I'm more into kiting than nightlife ;) )

the laguna of Barra can be butter flat, and I was the only one kiting there (this might have changed since I've been there).

We had about 10knts more than in Cumbuco as a rule, but it was September. No idea if November is different.

Wind is gusty when it comes from Land (typically in the morning), with thermic it turns more side and gets more constant during the day.

So the best times you will have when tide is right to produce butter conditions in the lagoon that is linked to the sea in the afternoons.

hope this helps :bye:

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:14 pm

@mede so the lagoon works i think at low to medium tide right? there is also i read a river mouth which is butter flat on all tides, is that right? how many knots did you have 25-30?

thanks

M91420
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay Area
Favorite Beaches: Brazil
Mauritius
Egypt
Gear: Bandit 4
Mako

Postby M91420 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Was there last year EPIC spot. Make sure to go downwind from the town and youll hit the first lagoon which is tide dependent and can be a little bit busy (which means 5-10) kites. From there you can continue downwind to 2 other lagoons which have water all day, are butter flat and are usually yours alone. Wind is usually good for a 8m kite or smaller. Just make sure to organize a donkey taxi before you leave the town otherwise you might have a 30min upwinder ahead of you to get back at night

ENJOY!!! It is a pretty amazing place

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil

Postby diogovilla » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:08 am

AlexandreBorges wrote:Nothing different in Barra Grande. Stay in Cumbuco.
I couldn't disagree most, specially if you are looking for real flat waters!

I am a brazilian kitesurfer wich lives 05 hours away from the Sea. I could have chosen any Brazilian beach, but I decided to buy my kite house in Piauí.

Barra Grande is probably worth the travel from Cumbuco. My PERSONAL choice (considering that kitesurf is your TOP TOP TOP concern), would be to stay in a Posada in DELTA OF PARNAIBA (http://www.casadecaboclo.com). This is the only spot in Piauí that I leave my kite house to spend a few days in.

EKT
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kirilovka
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, El Tur, Kalpitya
Style: Freeride

Postby EKT » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:49 pm

November is the windiest month in BG, expect 0 kn at sunrise, 15 kn by midday (as it shifts more side-on), 20-30+kn by evening. 5-7 m conditions mostly, although at mid-day 8 m works.
not ideal for unhooked freestyle progression perhaps, but definitely epic spot and very rustic village.
key is timing the tides with the wind you are looking for... full moon (Nov 16th) will bring the most extreme tides and thus best flat water conditions at low tide in the main spot and at high tide in the lagoon. that is also a huge Brazilian holiday weekend, so booking accommodation may be tough...
http://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/ ... des/latest

clip from Nov last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3OBQNSx00g

Return to “Kitesurfing”