Rare Poster
Style: surf
Gear: naish haze 2007 and a 12 North vegas 2005
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

The most stable kite out there?

Postby ?uest » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi guys,

I'm probably the 1 000 000th person to ask what kite to buy but I'm confused by the massive amount of marketing information and rider experiences on all the kites out there... I know testing is the way to go but I'm just trying to narrow down the options.

I try to do wave riding, focus on surfing without using the kite too much. The only conditions I ride in are onshore or cross onshore winds ranging 16 -30 knots. I have a 6'0 fish board and my weight is 70 kg.

Looking for a kite with: (in order of importance)

* Super stability. Basicly I'd like a kite that just sits there without moving when my hands or off the bar. I don't like a twitchy kite that's always going further up in the window so prefer rather low AR.

* Drift ability. I want a kite that stays in the air when I'm outrunning it because of the power of the wave.

* Power dump ability. I don't want any pull from the kite when I'm on the wave

* Not to much power when looping (is this what they call pivot turning nowadays?). I don't want to be pulled off my board when steering the kite fast

What model matches my demands? And wich sizes should I look after given my weight, 6ft board and 16-30 knots windrange? Was thinking of 7 and 9m sizes.

Thanks for your time and advice!

Grtz

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm
Has thanked: 0

Re: The most stable kite out there?

Postby jbdc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:37 pm

A Peter Lynn ARC. :lol:

Sorry I can't be of actual help, not too many good breaks around here.

dannybarnette
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Anywhere in Cape Hatteras, NC!
Favorite Beaches: Barbados, Dorado PR, Shacks PR, Cape Hatteras!
Style: Wave Riding, Big Air, Freestyle
Gear: North DICE, TEAM SERIES, and PRO SERIES
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding USA team rider.
Kiteboarding Instructor for Ocean Air Sports, Avon, NC.

Postby dannybarnette » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:58 pm

?uest wrote:Hi guys,

I'm probably the 1 000 000th person to ask what kite to buy but I'm confused by the massive amount of marketing information and rider experiences on all the kites out there... I know testing is the way to go but I'm just trying to narrow down the options.

I try to do wave riding, focus on surfing without using the kite too much. The only conditions I ride in are onshore or cross onshore winds ranging 16 -30 knots. I have a 6'0 fish board and my weight is 70 kg.

Looking for a kite with: (in order of importance)

* Super stability. Basicly I'd like a kite that just sits there without moving when my hands or off the bar. I don't like a twitchy kite that's always going further up in the window so prefer rather low AR.

* Drift ability. I want a kite that stays in the air when I'm outrunning it because of the power of the wave.

* Power dump ability. I don't want any pull from the kite when I'm on the wave

* Not to much power when looping (is this what they call pivot turning nowadays?). I don't want to be pulled off my board when steering the kite fast

What model matches my demands? And wich sizes should I look after given my weight, 6ft board and 16-30 knots windrange? Was thinking of 7 and 9m sizes.
Hey man,
So my number one choice this summer living in Cape Hatteras, NC wave riding was the 2013 North NEO 7m and 9m. I weigh 150lbs and ride a 5'11'' Pro Series strapped... With those two kites I rode in anything from 16-35 knots. I would say you would be set with a 7m and 9m or if you want to have a little more on the low end go with a 10m. Being such a great wave kite as the Neo is with its drift (sitting further back into the window), you aren't gonna have a mega powerful kite. I was reminded of that when i switched from the Rebel to the Neo in the waves.

Here is a review I wrote on the Neo after my first session on the kite... I'm still as stoked on the Neo as the day i first rode it!

"Gear: NORTH 2013 NEO 7M, NORTH PRO SERIES 5’10’’
Conditions: Side-offshore winds 20-30mph, head high plus waves!
My first impression of the North Neo was the kite’s amazing ability to turn the power on or off by just simply sheeting in or sheeting out! The 2013 Neo has everything that you need or want in wave kite! Initially after launching the kite off the beach the immediate bar feel and responsiveness of the kite was awesome! Once out in the water and riding my first wave down the line, I was amazed at how well this kite drifted. You can park your kite, forget about it, surf the wave and the kite will just drift down the line waiting for your turning impulse on the bar! The Neo’s turning speed was no less impressive than the rest of the kite; it really pivots and turns quickly! Looping the kite down the line is easy and turning the kite when riding was effortless.
My overall experience of the Neo was great! Rarely is there is not a thing that I would change about a kite, but I wouldn't change a thing in the 2013 North Neo; It is a highly refined kite and is built for dedicated wave-slayers and entry wave riders alike! Hands down, the 2013 North Neo is THE BEST kite I have ever ridden in the waves and I would highly recommend it to any wave rider out there! - See more at: http://www.kitefinder.com/en/kites/1247 ... er-reviews"

I've ridden the Neo a lot recently in side onshore winds, (we don't get much dead onshore breeze here), and the kite drifts super well when you are riding directly towards it and has saved my butt a few times during a big swell! Let me know if you have any other questions about the kite!

Cheers,
Danny
http://www.facebook.com/dannybarnette.fanpage

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:07 am

I have not tried a Neo but on paper it looks like a good kite, but maybe a little twitchy no?

I would say that Wainman's would drift well but find them a little twitchy.

The Prodigy from Ocean Rodeo is what I go with now:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2380514&p=804975&hi ... gy#p804975
$1229 complete for a 7m is pretty good too!

Other's that come to mind are:
Renegade, Lithium, Kahoona

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:19 am

Drifter....i see lots of good deals on them.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:52 am

All kites will Hindenburg when you ride at them...its called physics...

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:59 am

Your question does not make any sense. There are plenty of super stable kites that suck in the surf, and there are plenty of kites that excel in the surf that are not super stable. Your question should be "What kites work well in on shore/side on conditions from 16-30 kts, for a directional surfboard rider?". Drift and turning are as important as stability. JDBC's comment makes that point. Most brands make a good wave kite. I like the Cab Drifter and Airrush Wave, but there are plenty of others.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:02 am

[quoteAll kites will Hindenburg when you ride at them...its called physics.][/quote] What does that mean? Are you saying your kites drop out of the sky when you ride? I do not see many kites Hindenburg anymore.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:15 am

If you outrun the speed at which the wind pushes the kite it will drop like a stone...its called gravity...kites don't magically drift....

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:28 am

Twitchy comes into its own more in the smaller sizes I feel.

It sounds like you need to just focus on wave kites, that's what they are designed for and do most of what you describe. You don't want an all rounder as mentioned above, they don't truly drift. Well kind of but not really.

REO, dice, drifter, Cabo, BWS pro, Neo, RRD religion...I could keep going....I've flown all these and more and they are all stable, lower aspect and drift.

Return to “Kitesurfing”