Favorite Beaches: To be decided
Gear: F-One Bandit Kites
Mystic Harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to improve your pop

Postby Air_Pharaoh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:23 pm

So I have been riding now for 6 months now. I started to learn how to jump and I finally understand what it means when somebody says pop. I currently can get some big air and a really good pop when I am moving to the left. (left front foot, right back foot). However, when I am riding moving to the right I just can seem to get the same pop. I barely get off the ground. Did anybody have the same issue? And are there exercises in the gym to help with?

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: How to improve your pop

Postby noel » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Everyone has the same problem at first and the only ways to get better are to keep practicing and/or hit a cable park or wakeboard sesh and ride switch. I've been riding almost 15 years and still do certain tricks better to the right than to the left and do other tricks better to the left than I do to the right. Keep practicing!

ralfiboy
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle

Postby ralfiboy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Duh, its called goofy and regular foot. Its supposed to be harder one way, ever heard the term switch?

Excercises in the gym? For real? Get the f*** out. Just go kite or wakeboard and try a lot of shit both ways, it will come eventually.

noel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby noel » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:27 pm

ralfiboy wrote:Duh, its called goofy and regular foot. Its supposed to be harder one way, ever heard the term switch?

Excercises in the gym? For real? Get the f*** out. Just go kite or wakeboard and try a lot of shit both ways, it will come eventually.
Duh? Do you talk that way in person? Not everyone has a boardsports background. Goofy and regular foot have to do with what foot is forward. (regular - left foot forward, goofy - right foot forward) it's not suppose to be harder one than the other, it just is. Usually.

You could have just left out the remarks and just stated your last sentence!

ralfiboy
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle

Postby ralfiboy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:30 pm

noel wrote:Not everyone has a boardsports background.
And thats what sucks about kiteboarding. Bunch of old people thinking this sport is hanggliding.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:27 pm

ralfiboy wrote:
And thats what sucks about kiteboarding. Bunch of old people thinking this sport is hanggliding.

And immature nitwits making fun of old people... that really speaks highly for the sport.
Reminds me of the little ahole, snowboarder, rapper wannabes with their pants down to their knees.

There is very little that makes me wish I grew up in this generation. Facebook, twitter, go pro, fantasy football. its all ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME LOOK AT ME.

noel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby noel » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:22 am

ralfiboy wrote:
You must be the one that is old since you are the only one talking about hanggliding. Maybe you should stick with your own kind over at Kite Scoop. Your posts over there prove how immature and narrow minded you are.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:35 am

It takes a while to work your other side out. Can take a few years actually.

Slow everything down, bring it back to basics. Get that kite low, powered and do some some small pops and watch carefully what your body is doing. Pretend you re learning to pop all over again and as I said get back to basics. Remember your non preferred side means your back foot is the weaker one and you have to consciously stamp down harder than with your stronger leg when that's your back leg. .

I'd say that's the main reason, your weaker back leg is not pushing down hard enough and your timing is out. Remember to swivel those hips as well. Over exaggerate everything the other way and you will come out doing in normal as you do the other way.

I still have to concentrate when unhooking the 'other ' way and loading up on that back weaker leg. My body can get out of position all the time.

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil

Postby Don Lester » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:17 am

So Air_Pharaoh..........Can you sign your name equally with both your right and left hand ?

As Noel and Westozzy said...... keep practicing.......... that's part of the fun.........

bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas

Postby bc-sf » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:07 am

So ignoring the flap and back to the OP question...

I have the same problem. Regular footed, left foot forward (for me) jumps work fine enough, but my goofy foot jumps (right foot forward) are laughably retarded (get over the semiotics please!). It all feels backwards and inside out as i'm trying to launch.

I like Westozzy's recommendation to stomp harder with your back leg.

For practice/exercise during no wind this off season i'm doing standing jumps pushing off more with the left leg (right leg leaves ground first). That should help build up my weak inferior knee/leg muscles. However, the motion of the head/shoulders is also important to the flow... re-imagine where your body goes when jumping regular, and try to visualize the mirror image for goofy.
For me, it seems to be a slight flick of the neck from sideways down the shoulder the moment i push off with my back leg to about 15degrees forward.

One more thing i've noticed myself doing- my back gets stiffer/robotic on a goofy footed jump. That usually has something to do with the direction of my hips.

Long winded, but visualize it and do some basic jumping exercises on land. No need to wait until it counts on the water.

you're not alone

Return to “Kitesurfing”