All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: How to improve your pop
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:07 am 
Rare Poster

So ignoring the flap and back to the OP question...

I have the same problem. Regular footed, left foot forward (for me) jumps work fine enough, but my goofy foot jumps (right foot forward) are laughably retarded (get over the semiotics please!). It all feels backwards and inside out as i'm trying to launch.

I like Westozzy's recommendation to stomp harder with your back leg.

For practice/exercise during no wind this off season i'm doing standing jumps pushing off more with the left leg (right leg leaves ground first). That should help build up my weak inferior knee/leg muscles. However, the motion of the head/shoulders is also important to the flow... re-imagine where your body goes when jumping regular, and try to visualize the mirror image for goofy.
For me, it seems to be a slight flick of the neck from sideways down the shoulder the moment i push off with my back leg to about 15degrees forward.

One more thing i've noticed myself doing- my back gets stiffer/robotic on a goofy footed jump. That usually has something to do with the direction of my hips.

Long winded, but visualize it and do some basic jumping exercises on land. No need to wait until it counts on the water.

you're not alone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:46 am 
Rare Poster

Thanks for those with helpful answers.

I do not have previous board experience.

@bc-sf: Yea the season just ended, so I guess I want to some exercises in the gym (we don't have cable parks here). So is it more of a jump squat with one leg?

Also I heard, not sure if this is true, that some people practice their pop on the trampoline??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:14 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Flat water, I have no problems either way but when the chop or waves are up, it all depends on the angles of wind and waves.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:15 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I think some people use trampolines to practice their tricks, not popping itself...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:19 pm 
Frequent Poster

Good crossover sports for practicing, wake boarding , snow boarding, land boarding. Cable parks are great if you have access to one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:37 am 
Frequent Poster

I am one of those old guys who thinks he's hanggliding. I can pop both ways, my problem comes when trying to use the kite to boost in my weak direction. I just can't seem to fly the kite in the right position. I'll keep practicing unless I pass away or my hangglider breaks...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:47 am 
Rare Poster

Just making exercises more searchable...

http://www.kiteboardingexercises.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=203&Itemid=181

One thing i've done that seems to help is set up a bar on a rope (bar about shoulder height). With that I do 'jumping pull ups'. The bar helps visualize, and gives an extra workout on the core muscles with the pull up.

+1 for crossover boardsports.

Now if the non-windy season would just hurry up and make snow!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:25 am 
Medium Poster

matth wrote:
Good crossover sports for practicing, wake boarding , snow boarding, land boarding. Cable parks are great if you have access to one.

+ 1 on the crossovers, my first board was a cheapo double tail plastic skateboard, i was probably 5. But still, at 48, I'll grab my skateboard and work on ollie's, reg & switch in the driveway. also work on switching my feet on the board to simulate tacks n jibes on a surfboard.

snowboarding is great for working your switch stance, can do jumps and ollies all day long.

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2