Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Proposed IKA Foilboard Class Rules! Rise up against this!!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Proposed IKA Foilboard Class Rules! Rise up against this

Postby ChristoffM » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:10 am

You guys in San Fransisco set a very good example of how racing should be. You just go out and do it and forget about IKA. I think it is because of your successful racing scene that kite racing originally became big, and because of your racers taking up foils that foilboarding suddenly got worldwide interest. I think other places should just emulate what you guys do: forget governing bodies and just go out and race! As you say, way more fun.

swell
Frequent Poster
Gear: the fastest
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby swell » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:03 pm

What holds you back to organize and participate at NON IKA events???
The foil hysteria will end as suddenly as it begun, they've been there since kitesurfing begun... top guys like J.H. will always seek for something new because of theyr tallent, opportunities and sponsors... but these are 5-10 guys in the world... the other several hundrets are just feeding this small industry... sorry, but it's not fun to me to find myself at the bottom of the results list at every event because I have insuficiant funds to race the newest gear and train all year through...
ok, there are problems with current IKA class, but this system works somehow in every sailing and windsurfing class...

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:36 pm

swell wrote:... sorry, but it's not fun to me to find myself at the bottom of the results list at every event because I have insuficiant funds to race the newest gear and train all year through...
Also sorry, but if you dont train all year through, you will always find yourself at the bottom of the result list - no matter what sport.

And why hold back evolution ? A foilboard is ap. 20% faster around the course. For those who push the envolope of the sport I fully understand why this is exiting. And like allways the rest of us follows when we see what is possible...

I loved my raceboard. I loved the sporty feeling when riding it. But when you are getting smoked by those foils you just see the light and know, that since you cant beat them you might as well join them. Regarding costs, it is just a matter of short time and the big industrial brands get into os aswell and then it will become affortable.

And I know we are getting off topic here (but since the foil class rules were ajusted to the better I hope ok).

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:18 pm

First off -- what's wrong with having an OPEN or Unlimited class
where Anything goes ?
swell wrote: ...
sorry, but it's not fun to me to find myself at the bottom of the results list at every event because I have insuficiant funds to race the newest gear and train all year through...
Your Main Goal should be to Improve your standing in each race ; race against
yourself, and be Pissed if your Not improving. The object for racing against
the "Big Boys" is to LEARN, then go home and improve your skills. When you get
good enough to be Noticed, then you
get a sponsor, and with that comes the ability to Win against the guys that Matter.

It's bin done that way for 10,000 years !!!
Lucky YOU, that your not competing in a Gladiator comp ; where the loser's DIE !!
Difficult to get Better, if your Dead.

Bille

newind
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby newind » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:49 pm

ChristoffM wrote:Wow Stefaans, you must feel very strongly about it. I think most riders agree, the IKA should just leave out most (if not all) equipment restrictions.

The normal argument for having equipment restrictions (i.e. avoiding an arms race) is in my opinion not valid for the amount of carbon fibre or other exotic materials one can physically put in a foil and kite. The rules are only achieving the opposite of what they claim: as you said, you now have to invest much more in order to be able to compete.

And kiteboarding is still very much an individualistic sport with racing only a small part. We do not need to level the playing field to make it fun. It is far more fun to see how far the equipment can be developed. I would rather have "outdated" gear that can do say 30 knots, than have the latest and greatest competitive gear that can only do 20 knots because the development was so much halted in order to level the playing field.

In sailing where material costs are much more, and racing is a much larger requirement for having some adrenalin pumping action and having fun, strict class rules are understandable. In kiting however, we should leave the rules wide open, and only far in the future when (and if) it ever becomes obvious that it is becoming an arms race then introduce equipment restrictions.

I think most kiters would agree, but I could be wrong?
forgive my english,
I fully agree with you
rules prevent the growth
for not having an arms race is sufficient
limit the races to 15 knots (everything will be accessible).
the rules that are being applied have favored only a damaged sector and all remaining

Return to “Hydrofoil”